TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Strut Rod FIX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2020 at 6:36am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

My kit from Opentracker arrived yesterday, I bought the one for the later Mustang and my machinist buddy at work has turned it down to fit the smaller diameter of the AMC bracket hole and made a couple of spacers to make up the extra thickness. Word of warning here, my initial thought was just to machine it down on both faces to fit the bracket, which is obviously a bit thinner than the Ford one, however on second thoughts it is actually a ball and if you machine the two halves down for fit the thinner bracket, it won't be a perfect ball anymore and probably will not articulate as intended.

Next problem, on trial fit is that it lacks a bit of articulation and will not allow full suspension travel (drop). With the suspension at full drop, it is still about 3/4" short of contact the lower control arm and hence would become the limiting factor in suspension extension. I'm drag racing, so looking to maximize this area, maybe not such an issue on a street/track car, but I don't particularly want the strut rod to be the hard limit as it is probably not meant to be stressed this way. We are going to try to modify the Delrin ball halves to give a little more articulation. Hopefully this will be enough, otherwise the metal cups will need chamfering as well.

I actually have poly strut rod bushes at the moment and giving them a bit of a flex, I'm surprised how stiff they are, doesn't surprise me at all that people break strut rods.

Also a bit of an observation that the shock is currently the thing that limits extension, which is not really ideal either. Beyond that, if the shock is not connected, the upper arm will eventually hit the lower control arm bump stop bracket. Seems odd that there is no factory bump stop to limit extension, but then gars don't generally get airborne in general use. 

Hopefully it will be all fixed tomorrow.

Going back to page 3 on this thread, it seems that Maier Racing uses more of a spherical ball shape in using the halves to rotate with. Though it's expensive, it may produce more drop when suspension is relaxed.

That is one reason why I chose to slot the cups that hold the ball in place. The problem with slotting, is alignment. You just can't slap the cups in place and sighten down. In some ways, by making components simple for fitment sake, may have unexpected limits in operation.

I think with open tracker, you may machine more radius or use a ball in the center. Greyhounds, may have that option to play around with, in his quest to use poly replacement parts.

Not to blow my own horn, just turns out my design would probably fit more street / strip needs, than track. But can be used for street / track as well. If one is willimg to invest extra money, they could try my mod out, using their own machine work and resources, for tighter clearances. After all I did my mod by hand.

I think one could do what I did within $75.00 range, if poly bushings are already laying around in the shop, it may just be time and some extra coin for misc. materials.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2020 at 6:58am
I think it's just the V in the ball halves that needs to be a bit wider, not sure if the Maeier kit is any better in this regard. Would be good if Opentracker could make a AMC specific kit since they are 90% of the way there.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2020 at 7:29am
I think it would be good if one of you guys gave feedback to Opentracker on what you did to fit them on your AMC. They may be more willing to offer a kit if AMC enthusiasts already tell them what to change (or give them that starting point).
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2020 at 8:47am
Originally posted by mbwicz mbwicz wrote:

I think it would be good if one of you guys gave feedback to Opentracker on what you did to fit them on your AMC. They may be more willing to offer a kit if AMC enthusiasts already tell them what to change (or give them that starting point).
X2!

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2020 at 9:54am
I hadn't checked the position of the strut rod versus the bushing to see how much travel is left - that's pretty critical. And I expect that on lower sitting cars like mine it's going to be reduced, maybe too much reduced. Really, I'd expect that most people who'd be willing to move to the Opentracker setup are probably lower than stock.

There's some room to revise the bushing for a little more travel, but not much. I'm going to have to think about that some more.

I've had pretty good success making Polyurethane bushings for these, using my modified Delrin unit for the basis of the mold. That way the new poly bushing has the shoulder turned down and the spacer added in already.

1968 AMX 390 w/T5
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2020 at 4:37pm
That poly version looks nice and compliant, did you have any issues with the washer hitting the bracket?

This is my experience with the 67-73 Mustang Delrin Monoball Strut Rod Bushings from Opentracker Racing:

Some modifications were required because although they are similar, the diameter of the hole in the strut rod bracket is smaller than the ford one, so  some material had to be removed. There AMC bracket is also thinner, so some spacers were made to take up the space. As mentioned previously, I originally thought we would just machine a bit off the mating faces, but realized they wouldn't be a ball anymore and probably wouldn't work as intended if we did it this way. Finally the center bore of the ball halves was opened up a little to allow a for a bit more articulation to prevent them binding up at full travel, we have achieved roughly 1" of extra articulation. Quite a bit of work in the end and luckily a mate at work was happy to do the lathe work for me.

Installed they certainly look the part all shiny and such:

Here you can see the new found freedom of movement, I was previously running polyurethane bushes and these were incredibly stiff, it actually doesn't surprise me that there are stories of strut rods breaking from being over-stressed with poly bushes:

Still have to pull them down about 3/8" to meet the lower control arm at full drop, but it doesn't take a lot of effort so hopefully there are no issues there. At rest the arm is still angled slightly down, so I can't see any issues on the extension side, but didn't check.

Edited by WesternRed - Nov/28/2020 at 4:40pm
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2020 at 4:42pm
What I was thinking, would it be doable to machine the outer cups a smaller diameter. As i thought all the pivot is being blocked by outer edges hitting the bracket. The difference between stock and the open tracker seems to be the outer metal parts being at different distances. I would assume 1/8" trim around the edge would not hurt. Since the cups are deep enough. Any opinions on that?
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2020 at 5:13pm
With the original cone cut into the ball there's no contact between the cad plated radius washers and the bracket, as the cone angle of +/- 12 degrees stops the rod movement first. You can see that on the video I posted back on page 7, as the lube gets pushed around.

But as Red increased his cone angle he might get close to the washers contacting the mounting bracket. Still, they seem pretty small already compared to stock units so I don't like the idea of cutting them down any.

My strut rod is only 2 degrees off from perpendicular with the bracket surface, so I have plenty of travel. Plus if it runs out of travel the rod will just flex the polyurethane bushing.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2020 at 5:23pm
Mine still don't go close to hitting the bracket, but you could just chamfer the edge of the washer if you needed a little more clearance. One thing you probably don't want is so much travel that you uncover the cone in the ball or you could end up with dirt getting in there.

I think overall, they are a pretty nice solution. 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2020 at 5:28pm
This is at full drop:

I was thinking more about the poly options as that might see a little bit of compression as well as the up and down movement.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
  Share Topic