TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 20 Help -Posi/Locker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_cuda_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC 20 Help -Posi/Locker
    Posted: Feb/12/2016 at 1:06am
Guys my Dad has an 73 AMX with AMC 20 in it.  I'm pretty sure its not a twin grip rear.

What are the affordable options out there for posi units or lockers?  What is my best option?  I can spend money on new parts, but I would rather pick up a used posi unit or one of those new aussie lockers I seen on ebay.

Any advice or companies I can get a good posi from please let me know!  Thanks!

Don

Edited by the_cuda_guy - Feb/12/2016 at 1:11am
Member since 19 October 2014.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2016 at 5:52am
It may be rare in the 73 to have a two piece unit, and have one of the best units you could have once rebuilt.

Depends on what you want as for versatility. Gleason type is the most versatile, and costly, in that you will need to rebuild more often by the manufacturer. Second most versatile is the air locker.

Since I live in the snow belt, I am taking a chance with a detroit locker on my Ford rear... there was the availabitly of the units for AMC long ago, so every other blue moon on a leap year you may see one for sale.

If you plan on 400 plus HP, getting one piece axles or adding keyways to existing axles and re-torquing under maintenance, along with using a stout unit would be the way to go, unless you have plenty of time and money for replacements when you have to rebuild or repair.

Edited by 304-dude - Feb/12/2016 at 5:55am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2016 at 8:41am
Didn't the AMX package on the Javelin include the Twin-Grip rear, or was it a separate option? There are lots of aftermarket limited slip and locker options for the AMC 20. "Affordable" depends on your perspective and budget.

Just select your favourite on-line retailer and search for "AMC 20 differential carrier". Check also Jeep sites as may find a good used one.

Lockers are more popular for off road or drag racing. Limited slip generally better for normal street use. TrueTrac gets my vote for street. Detroit Locker for strip or dual-purpose. The Detroit Locker can be tailored with softer springs to unlock more easily for turns with street tires.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/search/part-type/differential-carriers/axle-model/amc-model-20?retaillocation=int

http://shop.ronsuttonracetechnology.com/shopping/?ic=9334

Hope this helps,RD
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2016 at 1:15pm
I run a Detroit locker in my 70 Javelin drag car with Moser axles.

I also have a Lock Right in my 75 factory v8 Gremlin with stock axles.
I added it when I was drag racing it, stock motor, shift kit, street tires. On the street when making turns if it is unlocked you can hear it clicking as do people outside the car. If you are on the gas when making a turn the tires will make noise. You can be real easy on the gas and not make noise but it is hard.

Now if replacing the carrier you will need to set the gears up and that can be a PITA!
The Lock Right does not need gear setup, it replaces the spider gears.

On my street Javelin if it does not have a Twin Grip I don't know what I will install yet but leaning to a Detroit locker.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
the_cuda_guy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_cuda_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2016 at 11:49pm
Thanks for the responses guys!  They helped a lot. 

Don
Member since 19 October 2014.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2016 at 1:20am
You can also buy a new Eaton clutch type LSD as well. I just brought a Truetrac centre for my Gremlin, haven't installed it yet. I didn't want to mess around trying to get hold of a used factory unit only to potentially find it is worn out and needs to be rebuild.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2016 at 6:59am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

You can also buy a new Eaton clutch type LSD as well. I just brought a Truetrac centre for my Gremlin, haven't installed it yet. I didn't want to mess around trying to get hold of a used factory unit only to potentially find it is worn out and needs to be rebuild.
That would be why I would not go used unless the price was right (almost free) and planed to rebuild it before install.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2016 at 4:42pm
I reckon the open carrier I have here is pretty flogged out where the cross pin goes through it, so probably not the best candidate of one of those Spartan/Lunchbox locker arrangements, something else to watch out for if considering one of those.
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2016 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

I reckon the open carrier I have here is pretty flogged out where the cross pin goes through it, so probably not the best candidate of one of those Spartan/Lunchbox locker arrangements, something else to watch out for if considering one of those.

As bad as my one?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2016 at 8:03pm
Pretty similar to that actually.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic