TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 101>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2015 at 2:50pm
Kind of fun bringing a car back from the brink isn't it?   Looking good so far!

BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2015 at 2:40am
Originally posted by Traveller Traveller wrote:

Kind of fun bringing a car back from the brink isn't it?   Looking good so far!

Thank you!
Yes it is! Being my first car and all, I do have a lot of good and some not so good memories with this car. I remember the day that my Grandmother brought it home. I was 8 at the time and she gave me one of those Gremlin sweatshirts that she got when she bought the car. I wore the heck out of that thing. I don't know how many pictures my Mom has of me wearing that old worn out sweatshirt. And of course it was way too big for me, but I didn't care.
I went hunting in this car. I went fishing in this car. I partied my a$$ off in this car. I drove the snot out of it. I got stuck in the mud. I did donuts in an iced over parking lot at 2 in the morning, for over an hour! I took it to California and basically lived in it for a while.
Then there was the time that it broke down on me outside of Walla Walla. Had to have a friend come pick us up and leave it along side the road. Went back the next day and the coppers had towed it to an impound yard. We had a tow bar and it didn't work, at all. So, the next best thing was a cable, cuz that's all we had. We towed it all the way back from Walla Walla to Lewiston on a 6 foot cable. By the time we had got back into Lewiston the battery was dead from the 4 way flashers and having to have the headlights on. I don't know how many semi's I about side swiped and how many times I about rear ended the pickup towing me.
Just crazy kid stuff! And of course the drinking! 95% of the off the dumb stuff was caused from all the drinking that I used to do.
I am surprised that I am still even a live and well because of all the off the wall dumb stuff I did in and with this car.
Now look at me... I am dropping a rather wildly built 401, with a close ratio 4 speed and a twin grip rear end with 3:54 gears!!!
What the he!! is wrong with me!?!?!   

Edited by BrotherBamc - Nov/30/2016 at 12:28am
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2015 at 11:31am
Sent my spring perches off to Opentracker Racing on Monday. Since I am completely rebuilding the front end anyways, I figured what the hey.
No, not really what the hey. I did the math and yes poly and even rubber bushings are cheaper then the cost of this modification, I just couldn't justify putting rubber or poly back in.
Here is a pretty good read on how he does them and a little information about Opentracker.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/12/RollerSpringPerch/index.php
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2015 at 6:56pm
Got my spring perches back from Opentracker the other day.

Excellent customer service from them! Highly recommend them!

After a fiasco of getting rear seals and the OEM dust covers not fitting, I finally got the right parts and got the rotors mounted up on their spindles.

Couldn't find a socket big enough to install the grease seals, so I backyard mechanic a bearing seal driver. 2 1/2" collector pipe worked perfect...

Next step is to get the rear end cleaned up and get the rear brakes on.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Trans Canada View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trans Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2015 at 1:48pm
Well I am enjoy this post as mention before .....keep the post coming I have two Gremlin's
one a survivor and one that is going to get a make over starting next fall.
Posts are helpful
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2015 at 6:23am
Had a small amount of time yesterday to "work" on things.
I was playing around with my cross member, lower control arms and eccentric bolts.
Put it all together and something wasn't right. (which by the way is normal for me)
Anyways the left control arm didn't look right and wasn't centering itself right in the cross member. So, I dug out the TSM.
Yup... I had the bushing in backwards and when I removed it from the cross member it fell out.
So, this picture is WRONG!

The bushing on the left control arm is in backwards.
Once I got it pressed back in the RIGHT WAY everything lined up really well. And straight too!

Also got my clean gas tank from a member here. So, I have to give a great big shout out to George! THANKS AGAIN GEORGE!!

Other then that, that's about all for now.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2015 at 1:22pm
Had some time yesterday to get the rear end cleaned up and new brakes installed...

Little bit of straight purple power and a couple of wire brushes gave it a nice patina. Not sure if I want to paint over it or not. 20+ years ago I would of, and I would of done it in bright florescent orange.

3:54's

I was going to blast and paint the cover, but I think it looks just fine.

Found this too... Pretty cool...

Brake pieces that I needed to put these back together again came from a member here. Big shout out to Ross!! Thank you Sir!!

Also primed the 401 with 5 quarts 10/30 and comp cams cam break in lube. Strong 60 pounds of pressure. Buttoned down the valve covers. Leaving the stockers on till the motor gets in the car and broke in.

Edited by BrotherBamc - Dec/07/2015 at 1:30pm
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2015 at 7:11am

Didn't like the look of my rear... so I painted it.

More blasting and painting...

Trying to find bushings for the rear sway bar has been kind of a nightmare, but I "think" I have something that will work.
The end link bushings are not a problem those are pretty common. But the bushing that helps hold the end link to the brackets that attach to the frame...not so much.

My solution is to use some Mopar B bodied spring shackle bushings. They have the same diameter as the original bushings, are just about the same length, but, the only problem with them is that the bolt hole is just a little bit too small to fit the bracket. Once I get a pair of them in my hands, (I do have one used one that I got from my Mopar friend down the road) I can drill it out.
Still waiting on "snail mail" to show up with some parts that I've got from members here. Once those show up, it will be more blasting and more painting.

Gonna have to figure something out though... I'm slowly running out of room! It's one of the main reasons I really haven't started actually "working" on the car yet. My garage is kind of small and I am not sure where all of the old parts are going to go once I start tearing into the car. Probably going to be total kaos and destruction for the first week or so. But, it is coming soon...
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2016 at 12:08pm
Been plodding along like an old plow mule on this the past couple of weeks. Been colder then a well diggers A$$ and I can easily go through a 5 pound bottle of propane trying to heat the garage up enough to blast and paint just a few parts. Plus been waiting on parts to show up too. Hope everyone had a happy Holidays.
New Year, equals new goals! I'd like to have this driving and stopping by the end of summer. IN MY DREAMS! LOL!!
Mocked up the rear end a little and installed a few new parts.

Fine Lines rear brake lines in stainless. Nice parts and fit very well.
Cheap raybestos rear e brake cables from Rockauto. By cheap, I mean the were cheap to buy. Not sure if I like the look of them or the hard plastic covering.
I am going to "try" to incorporate both Gremlin torque links and Spirit rear sway bar. Have 2 concerns...
One is where they mount to the frame and two is there going to be any interference between the end links and the torque links themselves.
Waiting on bushings to show up so I can mock the sway bar in. The jury will be out until I get the car in and get the old rear end out and get the new one installed. But, I imagine that some kind of bracket can be fabbed up so both might be able to function properly.
Still out on springs too. Not sure if I just want to have these springs rebuilt or purchase new ones.

Edited by BrotherBamc - Jan/07/2016 at 2:52pm
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2016 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by BrotherBamc BrotherBamc wrote:

Still out on springs too. Not sure if I just want to have these springs rebuilt or purchase new ones.
I have used Eaton Detroit Spring a number of times. Not cheap but the quality is top notch and they will do custom lift or drop over factory ride height if you request it. Just put a new set on the Hornet.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 101>
  Share Topic