TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 96979899100 101>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2020 at 1:20pm
Happy Turkey Day to everyone... 
Popped one side of freeze plugs off last night..
EEEEWWWWWWWW....Confused
I even think that the drain plug hole is plugged...Ouch
Homemade electrolysis tank.. 
Here we come...

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2020 at 10:20pm
Like most of my ideas, the homemade electrolysis was going to be kind of useless. After some further investigating I found out that it wouldn't really do any good for the water jackets. 
So, out comes the screwdrivers and compressed air. Just "a few" hours later I got them cleaned out enough to get the block off to the machine shop. Oh, and wire brush, wire wheel on a drill, chased all the threads, straight purple power and a "few more hours"...  

Got a box today.. Big smile
Always concerns me when it's been smashed and partially ripped open... Ouch

Can't expect much from U.P.S. A.K.A. "United Package Smashers"... 
But everything that was inside came through unscathed. Except for a package of spring retainers. Had to did though the box to find all of them and thankfully none of them fell through and out the hole in the box. I've had that happen before. Kind of sucks..Ouch

Cam card...

Block get's dropped off at the machine shop on Friday morning. Approve

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2021 at 6:27pm
Got a go-pro for Christmas. Thought I would try and play around with it today. 
Cold Start.. Approve
Sat for about 3 weeks, so the bowls where kind of dry. Took a couple of tries. 

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2021 at 5:32pm
Should have just had the machine shop hot tank the block to get all that off! That hot caustic fluid gets most of the stuff inside the water jackets out too. 

Nice electric exhaust cut-outs!!

Frank Swygert
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2021 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Should have just had the machine shop hot tank the block to get all that off! That hot caustic fluid gets most of the stuff inside the water jackets out too. 

Nice electric exhaust cut-outs!!

Thank you Frank.. 
The block and crank have been at the machine shop now for almost 2 months and they haven't been able to get to it yet. Since the "pandemic" they've been swamped. They have an oven that basically bakes everything off. Once they get started on it, it'll be another month before I can bring home a short block. Gonna have them install the new springs on the heads and make sure that the heads will be good to go. Approve

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2021 at 12:07am
Another piece of the puzzle showed up tonight.. 
Got this through American Performance... 
If I had known I would of tried to get this straight from the maker. LSC Performance. 
Nice SFI rated billet flywheel. Approve

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2021 at 9:43pm
Finally got word back from the machine shop. Have a good block and the crank will be turned to .10/.10. 
List of parts going into this build. 
Bullet full hyd roller camshaft 286/294-14HR GVL .560 intake, .565 exhaust. 
Edelbrock aluminum heads #60119 
Edelbrock Victor Junior Intake
Monlar rods (stock 401 length 5.858) 
Wiseco Pro True Street 10.5 to 1 flat tops. Bore 4.195 Kit includes rings, spiral locks and pins. 
Harland sharp roller rockers 1.6 ratio
Liberty Valve train components. (Springs, retainers, locks, valve stem seals and inside spring locators) 
Gaterman Hyd. roller lifters
Romac all steel Harmonic Balancer (Red Series) 
Rollmaster timing chain and gears. With torrington bearing. (Gold Series) 
MSD Cam gear and dizzy gear.
NOS fuel pump eccentric and NOS oil shredder
ARP bolts...
Flywheel, clutch plate, head bolts, 7/16" rocker studs. 
Using an older (2003) felpro gasket set. 
FlowKooler water pump
Melling oil pump with red spring. 
Armando's oil pan (with internal pickup)
Billet flywheel 
Some of the other parts I will be using from the other motor that's already in the car now. 
MSD ignition, 750 Holley double pump, RobMc fuel pump, air cleaner, Mallory unilite dizzy, coil, alternator and bracket. Also keeping the RobMc thermostat housing and adding a Robertshaw high flow thermostat. Hooker super comps that will be wrapped in DEI titanium exhaust wrap. Found out this last summer (what little that I was able to drive it) that things can get rather hot in the engine compartment and that heat reflexes right back into the passenger compartment. 
A couple of things that I am going to add to the fuel system. 
RobMc fuel sending unit, and a fuel pressure regulator. 
I'm having the whole thing rebalanced internally. Also getting rid of the fan and fan clutch and going with electric fans. 
Once this is all done, I can work on getting parts and pieces for the rear end. I'm keeping the AMC 20, just going to need a few parts to try to make it as bullet proof as possible. Also would like to add disc brakes to the rear. I have some pretty good gear whine in 1st through 3rd gear in my T-10, so that'll need to be gone through. I've got all the parts to do it and I was going to do it when I put everything together, just never got around to it. 
And yes, it will be Carravelle blue. Approve
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2021 at 10:11pm
Stopped by the machine shop today after work. 
Block has been bored, but not honed yet. Crank has been ground to .10. 
Machinist was doing a mock up to see if we have enough to deck the block and we have plenty. 
Everything goes to the balancer next week and the guys at the machine shop will get the block honed, decked and ready for assembly. If everything goes well, I should bring home a long block by the end of the month. 
A few pics of the mock up. 

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2021 at 1:02am
Brought this home from the machine shop today. 
They ran it through their "dyno" and it made some decent power.
486 at 5,000 and 556 torque at 4,000

Add 100 shot of juice and it made 593 at 5,000 and 722 torque at 2,500... LOL..!!

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
blumontag View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blumontag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2021 at 8:56am
Power!
72 Gremlin X
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 96979899100 101>
  Share Topic