TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9495969798 101>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2020 at 4:35pm
Try calling a detail shop and see if they can do anything for you. Those shops have a good steamer that might do a good job on it along with the right chemicals.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2020 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Try calling a detail shop and see if they can do anything for you. Those shops have a good steamer that might do a good job on it along with the right chemicals.

Thanks for the idea Keith, but this carpet is probably going to the dump unfortunately. I don't think that its worth trying to save. The new one showed up this afternoon, so I might as well put it to use. Big smile
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2020 at 11:34pm
Purchased some of those oil pads that soak up the oil. They worked pretty good and I was able to get the carpet out with out making a bigger mess then what I have now. 
Added a air/fuel mix gauge and a vacuum gauge to the mix. 

The plan is to add a fuse box to run all these instead of relying on the original wiring. I will run the bigger wires for the a/f gauge, the wires for the cut outs and the vacuum gauge under the carpet and out through the shifter hole. Trying to avoid holes in the firewall. 

To install the sending unit for the oil gauge I used the existing hard line, just had to shorten it up a little bit. Made a bracket, painted it to match and clamped it to the sending unit to it. 
No more drips, leaks or oil getting inside to ruin things. Ouch
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2020 at 10:44pm
New carpet is installed, gauge package is in and all hooked up and working well. 
Still have to have a bung welded in for A/F gauge and I will eventually get to that as soon as work slows down for winter. After that is done, I can tuck the wiring up under the dash and clean it up. 
Took a short but "quick" trip around the block a couple of weeks ago. Just wanted to make sure everything is going to stay where it is. It does. 
The more I drive it, the more it seems to settle in. I've got just a little over 100 miles on it now and I can't wait for spring... Approve

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2020 at 11:19am
Ordered and paid for some "goodies"... Thank you John..!! 
I have a standard bore 401 sitting on a stand that I need to do something with. So, here we go. 
Already have a pair of Edelbrock heads that will go on top along with the Edelbrock Victor Junior intake manifold. Will be a .30 over bore and pistons will be 10.5 to 1 compression flat top. I'll have the motor internally balanced. I will use the same balancing shop I used before. Adds a few more $$$ to the build, but I think that it'll be worth it. 
Piston's were not in stock anywhere and it will be next month before I get everything. Which is fine as I need to get the block ready for the machine shop. 
Bullet Custom Hyd Roller Cam HR286/350-HR294/353
Hyd Roller Lifters Gaterman GP1006
Molnar Connection Rods AH5858WUB8-A
Wiseco Pistons PTS541A3
Valvetrain Kit LPC-Kit
IF anyone knows someone that knows someone that might have a torque plate for AMC motors that would be willing to loan or rent to me, I'd appreciate the lead. 
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2020 at 1:47pm
Sure looks great.  Congrats on your hard work!
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2020 at 11:57pm
Got the above 401 from a guy last year out of Spokane. He had partially torn it down to check the crank and bore. He said he got it for his son's Javelin. Kid wanted to LS swap it instead. Bummer for the kid and great for me..!! LOL
When I got it he hadn't put the pistons and rods back in. All the bolts were loose except for the timing cover. Didn't take long to get it down to the crank. Been sitting in the corner since I brought it home. Time to build a beast, or at least try to. Big smile
Anyone wish to decipher the valve cover tag. I would greatly appreciate it. 

Not bad... seen worse. 

I haven't measured anything yet.. Don't feel any noticeable ridge. Didn't have my glasses to read the date code on the main bearings, but my eye sight is good enough to see the AM logo and the bearings are Clevite 77. 
Stay tuned.. Approve

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2020 at 6:46am
608Z03 = 1973 (6), August (08.. assuming that's what it is..), 401 (Z =71-79 401), 2nd day of August (02).

The year code starts with 1 in 1959 then counts forward, skipping zero, starting over with 1 in 1968. In 1980 they changed the year code to the last digit of the year, and started including zero, so 1980 starts with 0 and repeats in 1990.

You have to know a little about the various engines used and identify the type and/or size to determine the year. We know 401s were built 71-79, so it can't be a 1964 or 1986 model (which would also be a 6).
Frank Swygert
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2020 at 7:12pm
Thank you Frank and Matt... 
Took me a while to get these installed. 
First off, I had to get the time off and my exhaust guy had to get the time also. So today was the day. Didn't have time to install the 02 bung as I didn't want to get caught out in the rain that is in the forecast, but we were able to accomplish the cut outs. He made some turn outs and now it sounds like on old stock car with them open. 
Came out nice and clean and still have some decent ground clearance...  Approve

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2020 at 6:22pm
Pretty nice day for a quick drive around town today...
Stopped at a few places for some pictures. Going to do a calendar for Christmas presents and needed a few pics of the Gremlin out in the wild.. 
Here's a short video of it running with the cut outs opened. Big smile
Got a pretty good personal plate idea that I am going to run on the car also.. 
HANDFUL Approve
Scared some old lady this afternoon with it. Got a little squirrely on me and the look on her face was absolutely priceless. She was headed in the opposite direction. And yeah, the cut outs where open.. LOL

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9495969798 101>
  Share Topic