TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9394959697 101>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2020 at 9:50pm
My old powder coating place turned into a farce. I actually worked there for a short time and the owners were really nice people. They sold the business and I didn't realize that they had.. 
Went there this morning and the new owners don't do squat any more with either high heat applications nor are they experienced in ceramic coatings like they were before. 
So I said screw the powder coating and I'm just gonna slap that intake and new fan shroud on and go with it.. 
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
Have2SC's View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Have2SC's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2020 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by BrotherBamc BrotherBamc wrote:

Kinda like that red one on the endBig smile. [/QUOTE]

I take it that one is yours Lee..??
Very nice..!!
And I do have a pair of headlight bezels in my "stash". But, they appear to be painted and not the chrome like they appear to be on those posted above. Or am I just not seeing it right..?? [/QUOTE]  Yes, the red one is mine. That pic was taken not long after i bought the car and i have made lots of improvements as time went on. As far as the head lite bezels i believe mine are painted but i will have too look as i still havent got the car out of storage this year and i just cant remember.  Sucks getting old!!LOL  
1971 SC360 Hornet 4 speed   1970 Javelin 390 4 speed "Base Model" 1967 Rambler 220 X code 343 4 speed
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2020 at 10:31am
You can powder coat small to medium size things at home with an Eastwood kit and an old oven. Just don't do it in the kitchen range!! Good reason to have an older model range in the shop. Powder coat and warm up lunch in oven, boil peanuts on top (if you're a southerner!!), etc. Works good to heat a piece of cast iron up for welding, even a small piece on a top eye! If you have the old spiral elements don't cross a piece from one to the other is both are on though. I have had that cause a short, though it could have been due to a damage heating element.... I don't know...

You can get an old self-cleaning range pretty cheap. The self-cleaning/temp control goes out and they are expensive -- too much so to repair the range (who pays $400 for a part for a 10-15 year old range that was maybe $600 new?). They usually fail at temp control. The oven will get up to temp and cut off, but won't turn back on until the control is set to off and the oven cools back down considerably. If you set it at say 300 and it turns off, you can usually set it at 325 and it will turn back on until it gets there.... then you have to continually turn it up a bit to keep it on. Once it hits the set temp and turns off it will stay hot inside for quite a while though. Not good for baking, but ok for powder coating.

Edited by farna - Jun/06/2020 at 10:36am
Frank Swygert
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2020 at 1:15am
Originally posted by kirkwood kirkwood wrote:

it won't be long now william!

I was going through this tonight, found this...
It was from 4 years ago..
Won't be long...
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2020 at 11:18pm
Haven't had a lot of time to really do anything for the past month or so. It's harvest time here, but we did go for a drive the other week. Didn't know my girl took this pretty cool pic... 
I do have some Doug's electric exhaust cut outs to get installed. But that probably won't be for a while though. Big shout out to glennrock1 for the sweet deal on them..!! THANKS..!! 

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2020 at 9:36pm
ARRRRRGGGG...!!!! 
Waited about a month and a half to get the cut outs installed. Finally had a day off and a short window to get it done tonight. Got about half way there and noticed that the oil pressure gauge wasn't working. Was working fine when I fired it up to warm it up. 
The oil line came off the gauge and ruined the front carpet. Ordering a new electric gauge and pitching the mechanical one in the for sale box. Last time I use a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Ouch
I've read horror stories about that happening and never thought that it would happen to me. 

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2020 at 12:13am

I had mass backing put on this carpet and it saved the dynamat underneath. Now I need to figure out how to get the carpet out without making a big mess of things. New carpet arrives tomorrow. Gutted everything except for the carpet. New electric gauge in hand so this will not happen again. Ouch
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
RSX 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSX 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2020 at 7:48am
What about a wet/dry vac?
I'll follow these lines a little ways more,

Until I can find what I'm looking for.

With the pedal to the metal,

I'm gaining my speed.

Riding down low in my AMC.....
blumontag View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blumontag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2020 at 8:04am
Sorry about your oil mess. My plastic line broke in the engine compartment last year. Fortunately, I was near home when it happened. What new gauge did you get?
72 Gremlin X
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2020 at 4:23pm
I got another Autometer gauge to match the others in the car. 
Thought about using a shop vacuum but I'm afraid it would ruin it like it did to my new carpet. Might get some of those absorbing pads first to see what those will suck up. Just trying to keep a mess from being a bigger mess ... if you know what I mean.  Big smile
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9394959697 101>
  Share Topic