TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9293949596 101>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Have2SC's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2020 at 6:33pm
  William,  congrats on finishing the Gremlin!!  Looks great with the Hornet grille an hope to see it in person someday.  This was one of my favorite member project reads on the forum and i am kinda saddened that you are done with it.   Now what am i gonna doLOL.  
1971 SC360 Hornet 4 speed   1970 Javelin 390 4 speed "Base Model" 1967 Rambler 220 X code 343 4 speed
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2020 at 8:37pm
OH..!! No need to fear Lee...
It's not "done"..
There are some things that still need some attention.
I still have to get the aftermarket gauges hooked up. The only thing that is, is the oil pressure gauge.
I still need to figure out why the fuel gauge and stock temp gauge aren't working.
I have a new intake coming for it. I want to try out the new Edelbrock Victor Jr. I really like the look of it and I think, and hope it will be an improvement over the Torker. I have a fan shroud on it's way also. Probably do that when I pull the old intake off and do that swap.
It needs a cut and buff.
And the grille...
I really like the Hornet grille, but I also like the later styled head light bezels. Like the ones on the SC/360's. Took this pic out of my American Motors Corporation book.

But, I am not sure if I have any in my "stash". So, it may be a while before I can find a pair and the side marker lights that go with them.
So, have no fear. I will be updating this thread until it's absolutely "done".
Heck... I might even build the extra 401 that I have with a roller cam and a pair of Edlebrock heads and drop that in... So, who knows...??
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2020 at 6:41am
Fuel and temp gauge not working usually means the IVR (Instrument voltage regulator) is fried. It's in the fuel gauge, so you have to cut it open to install a modern regulator chip or jumper across the old regulator and install the chip in the feed line. That or find a good fuel gauge for an AMC small car, 70-76. I n77 they went to a different gauge system that uses straight 12V, the older ones use an average 5V with a bi-metal on/off regulator. Both gauges work off the same 12V input, which is jumpered over to the temp gauge by the circuit board, so make sure you have 12V on the feed wire and the connection is good before trashing the gauge.
Frank Swygert
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2020 at 2:02pm
We talked about this issue a couple of pages back Frank. I did get a N.O.S. fuel gauge but I need to see if I even have 12 volts to where its supposed to go first.  And of course check my grounds. Confused
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2020 at 3:18pm
The IVR is in the temp gauge in the Hornet & Gremlin.

There is a radio suppressor inline for the power to the temp gauge. The suppressor plugs on to a couple of posts on the back of the cluster & is comprised of a very fine wire wrapped around a core. It could be that very fine wire has broken. I have seen some clusters with a copper strap in place of the suppressor, maybe for radio delete cars?

Edited by scott - Jun/02/2020 at 3:25pm
Have2SC's View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Have2SC's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2020 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by BrotherBamc BrotherBamc wrote:

OH..!! No need to fear Lee...
It's not "done"..
There are some things that still need some attention.
I still have to get the aftermarket gauges hooked up. The only thing that is, is the oil pressure gauge.
I still need to figure out why the fuel gauge and stock temp gauge aren't working.
I have a new intake coming for it. I want to try out the new Edelbrock Victor Jr. I really like the look of it and I think, and hope it will be an improvement over the Torker. I have a fan shroud on it's way also. Probably do that when I pull the old intake off and do that swap.
It needs a cut and buff.
And the grille...
I really like the Hornet grille, but I also like the later styled head light bezels. Like the ones on the SC/360's. Took this pic out of my American Motors Corporation book.

But, I am not sure if I have any in my "stash". So, it may be a while before I can find a pair and the side marker lights that go with them.
So, have no fear. I will be updating this thread until it's absolutely "done".
Heck... I might even build the extra 401 that I have with a roller cam and a pair of Edlebrock heads and drop that in... So, who knows...??
  Kinda like that red one on the endBig smile
1971 SC360 Hornet 4 speed   1970 Javelin 390 4 speed "Base Model" 1967 Rambler 220 X code 343 4 speed
BMOgremlin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2020 at 8:58pm
Well done sir,  well done. I will say thank you for your persistence. You didn't give up or let it sit for years after some major set backs. Enjoy every minute your behind the wheel of your built it not bought it Gremlin!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2020 at 6:23am
I forget which gauge it's in... I've just searched and it appears it was in the fuel gauge of the 69 Ramblers (67-69, IIRC) and temp gauge of 70-76 small cars. It's in one of them!! With the panel out it's easy to tell that a line runs from one gauge post to the other gauge, and IIRC there's three terminals on one and only two on the other... the one with three has the IVR in it.

I thought I sounded familiar BrotherBamc... answer a lot of questions here and on a couple Facebook groups, hard to keep track of who I mentioned what to sometimes!!
Frank Swygert
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2020 at 10:06am
It's OK Frank..
Not a big deal. Still need to get some time to tear into things. Work's got me for the next 4 days. I work a grave shift. 4 days on, 4 days off. 13 hour shift a night. 5 pm to 6 am. Money is decent, job is dirty and filthy and the shift itself kind of sucks.

Lookey at what I got yesterday..

Headed down to the powder coaters in a few before I have to go "take a nap" to get through tonight and into tomorrow morning.

Also got the fan shroud from APD. Looks like a really nice piece. Very sturdy for a piece of plastic.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2020 at 10:09am
[/QUOTE]  Kinda like that red one on the endBig smile. [/QUOTE]

I take it that one is yours Lee..??
Very nice..!!
And I do have a pair of headlight bezels in my "stash". But, they appear to be painted and not the chrome like they appear to be on those posted above. Or am I just not seeing it right..??
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9293949596 101>
  Share Topic