TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 101>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
    Posted: Oct/11/2021 at 7:57am
Heads are on..
Next step for this is to figure out valve train geometry and get the roller's on... 

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2021 at 6:51pm
In the Gremlin.. Eventually...
I'm still a long, long ways off from that point and time. I'm still having fun with what's in there now. 
When I can have fun with it... 
I've got just over 500 miles on it and there's always a "gremlin"...
Just replaced the idler arm bushing, rear seal on the t-10 was peeing so it got replaced and now the oil sending unit is dripping oil. I had a antifreeze leak that took me a while to figure out where it was coming from and the vacuum advance plate was gummed up with old grease. That needed a good cleaning and lubed... The clutch linkage fell apart on me a couple months ago and replaced the nylon piece with a part from a Mopar application. I think the header might of had something to do with that fiasco.. The Mopar part is metal and will take the heat from the header. 
Just the joys of owning a hot rod... 
It's going to be the "demise of my sanity".. Approve
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
garweb3 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garweb3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2021 at 6:02pm
Where is this engine going?
1974 Javelin AMX
1980 Spirit AMX
1987 Jeep Comanche Sportruck
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2021 at 5:11pm
Heads are next...!! 

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2021 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by hassyfoto hassyfoto wrote:

See the source image

Thanks.. 
This is one of my favorites.. Approve

Also took almost 2 months from the time of placing the order to these showing up at my door..

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2021 at 7:16am
See the source image
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2021 at 11:20pm
I knew that something was amiss when I pulled the number 1 plug and it looked like this...

All of them looked like this and they were brand new less then 50 miles ago. 

Tore the intake back off, cleaned up the right stuff and set to figuring out why. 
Read through a good thread on valley pan and oil line mod. I always thought that the oil line that I had put in was just too big. It worked but I had to hack the valley pan to make it fit. Guess I didn't do a good enough job on the last one I put in. Anyways, back to the thread that I read. 
If you put your oil line mod in properly you don't need to cut the pan all up to make it fit. 

https://theamcforum.com/forum/oil-tray-or-not-with-gaskets_topic54602_page3.html

So.. Out with the old and in with the new.

The only mod I had to do was to the front of the valley pan. 
After a couple 3 or 4 dry fittings to make sure everything was kosher, I set the valley pan in and used some bolts and washers to hold it in place while the right stuff cured a little bit. 

We are back to tearing up the streets again...!! Approve
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2021 at 2:49pm
Well... CRAP..!! Ouch
I think that when I put that new intake manifold on, I must of misaligned the valley pan gasket some how. 
When I left the show and shine yesterday the car was rough starting and puffing out some blue smoke.(oil) 
But once the car warms up the roughness goes away and it idles where it should and of course it runs like a scalded ape. But when it's cold it barely runs and blows smoke. I could barely get the car to start and stay running last night when I put it in the garage. I don't have oil in the antifreeze which is good, but I am blowing smoke when it's cold. 
Guess what I will be doing this coming week..?? 
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2021 at 12:40am
Decided to paint everything individually instead of put everything together then painting. 

Paint these before you install the cover. Found out the hard way the last time. 
Always seem to goober one up. Ouch

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2021 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by 1958 rambler super 1958 rambler super wrote:

You sure have been working away at the gremlin very thouroughly if you ever sell it one day you'll make your money's worth and also someone pretty happy. I read your whole thread alittle while ago, you almost made your own car pretty much, bet that feels cool!

Thank you.. Big smile
Sell it..??? I don't think so. Something would really have to happen for me to sell this car. I've got too much blood, sweat and tears into this to ever sell it. 
All I started with was an "idea" of what I wanted. I never put anything down on paper, just kept it upstairs in my head of what I wanted. Never really drew up any plans at all. All I knew is that I wanted a V-8, 4 speed and a twin grip rear. I did start collecting parts way back in the early 2000's for this. I knew that I was going to need a dash, as I had kind of destroyed the original. The dash came out of 72 Hornet that I acquired while working for a salvager. I used to haul his scrap and crushed cars. Just happened across a low millage Hornet that was going to be crushed and sold for scrap. I wish that I could of saved it as it was a SST car. But alas, it was crushed and is probably in some Toyota by now. Ouch
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 101>
  Share Topic