TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMX A/C refurb and wiring sort

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amurica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMX A/C refurb and wiring sort
    Posted: Aug/03/2015 at 12:15pm

I am restoring the A/C system on a factoy air 69 AMX. It has the blower with the air cooling tube, and is the system with the weather eye dial, like this one

The factory wiring is all still there, everything is connected under the dash, however the leads were all cut and taped off in the engine bay by the blower motor, so I'm playing detective, and as you guys know, there isn't much info out there on the web as far as wiring schematics.

I have an Orange, Green, and White wire coming out of the AC harness similar to here,
I was told I would just need the blower relay, have that, I don't have the resistor box. But that would only give you one speed, thinking I misread something there. 
I heard later cars used a relay for the high speed, which are the "later cars"? This is the only clear image of wiring I could find on a complete system with a resistor, haven't seen any that integrated a relay into the circuit with the resistor, only pics of the relay on the firewall. 

Still trying to figure out this control panel too.
I traced this lighter gauge brown wire with a bullet connector from the R-stat to the engine bay, pretty sure this is the trigger for the AC compressor? I'm not seeing any wires coming into the system to power the circuit though, so cant test yet.
I've found the 2nd to top lever and bottom lever have the switches behind them. On the face of the controls those  have 3 vertical tick marks, do those correlate to fan speeds? Both of these switches have jumper wires connecting them, and then 3 wires leaving to the engine bay by the blower, which I believe is the green, orange, and white for the blower resistor out there? 
Again, having a hard time figuring out what send powers to what as there is no juice going into the system. All fuse positions have fuses in them with continuity, I physically haven't been able to trace any wires going INTO the ac circuit, it all seems localized. Also, I'm not seeing any open spades on the ac controls where one would power the circuit.

Any insight into the electrical workings of the A/C circuit would be greatly appreciated!
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2015 at 12:24pm
It is highly suggested that you purchase a factory TSM for your car and most of your questions will be answered. It is a purchase you'll never regret as it will save you so much time, money and frustration in the future.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2015 at 1:23pm
There's no relay in your car. That's only later cars.
The resistor is simply bypassed for high. All speeds run through the resistor and it's simply bypassed via the dash switch for high.

In this picture, two wires are low and medium, and the white goes directly to white from the switch. It's straight through inside the resistor (I've taken a few apart to restore and replate the shield and contacts on them)

So you can stop looking for the elusive relay and relay wiring  Wink

mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2015 at 10:39am
"I traced this lighter gauge brown wire with a bullet connector from the R-stat to the engine bay, pretty sure this is the trigger for the AC compressor?" Brown runs to the A/C clutch on the compressor.
Mike
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2015 at 7:49pm
Correct
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2015 at 8:05pm
Blue and blue w/trace into AC stat then brown out to compressor. This makes sure the AC switch is on and the blower is on before the compressor will run.

So if there's no power to the compressor, check that there's something going to the stat in each case.
Amurica View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amurica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2015 at 8:45pm
awesome, thanks fellas! totally confirmed what I was thinking. good stuff.

I got an aftermarket under  hood AC kit that just showed up. working on getting everything fit nice and clean. still not seeing any power coming into the control circuit, checked those blue wires too, which is weird. All fuses are in and good. So will def have to do some digging there. 

I still haven't found a stinkin blower resistor/cage. think thats the only part i need to get this thing together. Any tips on a good spot to pick those up?

Edited by Amurica - Aug/13/2015 at 8:48pm
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2015 at 8:34am
Amurica,

I've looked for the resistor many different times myself as I would like to have a functional spare, but so far no luck in finding an exact one. Ebay has a bunch of ones that might be adaptable, I haven't played with that yet. I suggest posting in the parts wanted section on this forum as a start. I'll keep searching too and let you know if I find a source.
Here's another discussion on this subject

blower resisterr

Can anyone confirm for me that the 68/69 Weather Eye A/C control bracket has four mounting tabs same as the 70 version which I believe is photographed in the first post here?

Or did I buy one with a missing tab? I have one with three mounting tabs that was advertised as a 69 part.

It's just spare parts so not critical, but it would be nice to know what I got.

Armand

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Aug/14/2015 at 8:46am
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Amurica View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amurica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2015 at 11:44am
thanks for the input. 
and i had seen that other thread as well.

I did just find one on ebay, for 75 bucks, in rough looking shape, with no guarantee of working condition. probably junk if he has that disclaimer on there. such a pain.
I'm about to just wire it up direct current and only have high speed, or maybe just buy two small in line resistors to associate in the circuit instead. Wouldn't be that difficult.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2015 at 9:51am
That's one nice looking control unit in the first photo. I wish mine looked that nice! 

Very timely thread BTW, as guess what I'm doing today? First order of business was going to be to figure out where the white wire went! 

Bill, those cable wraps around the harness in your photo (just below the blower motor) are those a factory clamp? They look different than the ones I'm used  to seeing. 

Edited by CamJam - Aug/15/2015 at 10:08am
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic