TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - #7 connecting rod turned a straw color after cam r
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

#7 connecting rod turned a straw color after cam r

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69kermit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: #7 connecting rod turned a straw color after cam r
    Posted: Jul/27/2015 at 12:16pm
I have a 70 390 amc that ran a little warmer than expected during the cam run-in so tore it down and did not notice anything major except that #7 connecting rod has a straw color to it while all of the other rods look to be the same color, the engine did not reach boil over temps as it had a 195 thermostat and the temps reached 212 prior to shut down. Anyone have advice or why only one connecting rod changed?
401jim View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2015 at 12:24pm
Did you prime the engine before lighting it up? Did the oil pressure come up on start up? Sounds like a lube feed to # 7 problem. It is the last one to receive oil pressure. It may have been starved on first time run in. Hope this helps you.
69kermit View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69kermit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2015 at 12:51pm
I had primed the engine and running right about 60 psi hot the real question is the rod bearing look fine with no discolor and no wear upon a visual inspection the piston looks fine and the crank has no signs so the question is should I replace the rod or should be okay as I said it was run for a short time and no other indication of any damage.
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2015 at 1:15pm
Did you build it, may just be a rod that was cleaned different
69kermit View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69kermit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2015 at 1:28pm
yes, they were all the same color when installed as the shop had put together the rods and pistons but I did the rest.
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2015 at 2:14pm
Well it changed color for a reason and if it wasnt heat from a bearing then it was from piston, that is not good as it would take a ton of piston heat to color the rod
ScrambledEgg View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScrambledEgg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2015 at 5:31pm
If the rod was blue or bluish in color I would think it got to hot. When you say straw, I think of a goldish / tan color. Is that what you mean?

Was the rod wet from oil or dry compared to the other rods?

How long did you run it for? Its possible the next stage was to turn blue from lack of lube or being too tight of either the piston in the bore of wrist pin or rod bearing clearance. I would at a minimum check these clearances and inspect all the surfaces and the rod bearings. Plasti gauge it again as well.

Was the plug for that cylinder running/burning the same as the others?
ScrambledEgg
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2015 at 5:38pm
Enough heat to turn a rod straw color should show other damage.
bearing, crank or the adjoining #8 rod.

Having done a fair amount of heat treating in a Johnson furnace
I will say with confidence that the piston would be a puddle
of aluminum if it were the source of that heat.

My vote is un noticed color before assembly, or, chemical staining
by reacting with an oil additive.

Check clearances, assemble it and run it.
Gremlin Dreams
Mikel View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2015 at 6:30pm
If a rod got hot enough to change color, you would have noticed other very dramatic symptoms, in the form of noises and flying parts.
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2015 at 7:10pm

If you can't find a problem with that rod's bearing or wrist pin I wouldn't be concerned.

SKeown 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic