TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > The Member Companies and Products of AMC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1956 Nash-Rambler sells for $528,000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2015 at 6:40pm
Admen-um to my comments on the Palm Beach. It was designed by Pininfarina for Nash . The reason being Nash had hired Pininfarina as design consultants for the 1952 Nash Ambassador and Statesman Golden anniversary cars (1902 to 1952) 50 years in business. The Pininfarina design logo stayed on the big Nash s from 1952 to 1957. Part of the consulting deal  was for for several factory show car prototypes. I think 3 or 4 were considered but only two made, the Palm Beach and a 1956 Ambassador prototype. Also part of the deal was the 1952 to 1954 Nash Healeys where built in Italy at the Pininfarina coach works . Nash shipped the engine and drive line to England where Donald Healys  company built the chassis and then shipped that to Italy where the body was build by Pininfarina and then shipped  back to the USA . There 402 Nash Healeys listed as having having bodies built in Italy with another 102 with bodied made in England.

An Irony here is Cadillac did just about  the same thing with Cadillac Allante including having Pininfarina make the bodies in Italy. LRDaum

Below should be a photo of the other Pininfarina 1956 Nash Ambassador prototype. I nice looking car still today but too plain for it time. LRD

LRDaum
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2015 at 7:53pm
Still not even close to a record for an AMC...one of the trans Am Javelins (a 71 If I recall correctly) sold for North of $750,000.

Still for a 54 model year car before AMC really started pumping out serious performance/collectibles that is a very cool sale, and very very strong pricing for a very very nice car.
junk yard dog View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junk yard dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2015 at 1:31pm
The mark Donahue race car penski car sold for like $847000.00 if i remember right and if i were roger i would be owing that car. I think a foreman mustang bid to like $700000.00 and didn't sell at same action. I heard roomer that a early amx just sold for $75000.00 and i don't think it was an ss car. I have in the past try to sell a couple  rust free 68 amxs projects for $5000.00 each and been run out of the amc forum for tooo high of price.lol. I have decided to keep them because in a couple years they will be worth twice that amount and i have always loved the two seater and a ss clone is looking real possible to go with the black 69 amx and the bbg 69 sst javelin and the sc rambler all 390 cars and my dream to have them at a show all finished next to each other.We can all dream. I saw once a 1954 rambler two seater that the doors slid forward and back at one time. What is it? Dog.Attached is picture of ac hornet hatch back clone look a like that is almost done.A year ago it was at the wrecking yard almost crushed

Edited by junk yard dog - Oct/14/2015 at 1:55pm
69 sc rambler              
69 bbg javelin 390 mod pack    
68 javelin custom
68 amx 343 4 sale
76 hornet
1963 1/2 mercury super maraude
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2016 at 9:19pm
I know the Kaiser-Darrin had the sliding doors like you describe.
http://www.americansportscars.com/darrin.html
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2016 at 10:50pm

The 1955 Nash Pinin Farina Special at the Rambler Ranch is another of these very special cars.
AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2016 at 11:30pm
The Rambler Ranch is the only ranch my wife will let me visit when I go out west...
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2016 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by AMXRWB AMXRWB wrote:

The Rambler Ranch is the only ranch my wife will let me visit when I go out west...

It IS a fabulous place!
Ruby loye View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ruby loye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2016 at 7:26am
There is a Rambler ranch? My 550 wagon and I must go!
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2016 at 2:31pm
Elizabeth , Colorado. I'll let you do the web search for Rambler Ranch. They do have a web site, but the museum was pretty by event or invitation only, although I think is now generally do keep it open on a regular basis. LRDaum
LRDaum
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2016 at 10:37pm
Thank you LDaum for posting the info on '56 Rambler Palm Beach.

I appreciate your kindness and generosity by sharing what you know about the history of the car.

Apparently the youngers don't know about Nash-Healey, Hudson Italia or Rambler Palm Beach.

...or Kelvinator? ...and we're all sitting around taking for granted the automatic resetting circuit breakers in our homes?

The '55 LeMans Disaster (a Nash Healey was in that race? don't want to start another lie though/this is partly why the NH was ended and the PB was much more of classy cruiser 'girls car' like the Tbird?) + the '57 Mercury Meteor crash caused AMA to ban factory supported racing.

And Rambler Palm Beach image was cast by AMC showing woman driver?

Rambler Palm Beach does wear similar rear styling to Studebaker's Hawk, and shows what might be argued to be re-interpreted front grille areas of that car also > evidencing AMC-Studebaker/Packard rivalry and competitiveness.

When we incorporate the reality of '57-'62 AMA ban into AMC history, it makes AMC's Rambler Days much more understandable.

This was when AMC finalized timespan of Nash and Hudson (those names having the racier image than Rambler name, whereas Nash seemed to intend Nash Rambler as urban runabout portion of product line?)

This helps to understand why Rebel fuel injection was stillborn and the car got neutered in '58, only to have the 250 CID V8.

This helps to understand the reintroduction of Nash Rambler in '58 = not racy, but obedient reaction to disasters and AMA ban.

This also helps to understand timespan of Metropolitan; sporty to drive, yet not racy.

"Other make' automotive writers, whose sayings typically get quoted or re-worded in AMC history articles, have perhaps only naturally told portions of AMC history that make AMC look overly prudish (typically biased against AMC to make their favorite cars look good by comparison) but when we include the AMA ban, AMC history told that way gives a realistic explanation and makes AMC's decision to wander aimlessly named Rambler without the former clear cut racing goals look better I think.

Marlin name suggests AMC's apex-success through trans-Atlantic Kelvinator connection.

When I was a kid, 'going for a Sunday drive' was common behavior in USA (to ramble about)

Edited by amcenthusiast - Jan/20/2016 at 7:30am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic