TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > The Member Companies and Products of AMC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1956 Nash-Rambler sells for $528,000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1956 Nash-Rambler sells for $528,000
    Posted: Jul/17/2015 at 1:42pm
Found this surfing the internet. In 1956 AMC asked Pinin Farina to design a Rambler-based 2-seat coup. This fully functioning production prototype was owned by the president of Nash Motor Car Company. It was named "Palm Beach." Specs: Rambler 196 CID 6 cyl, single Weber carburetor, 3 speed manual gear box, 4 wheel drum brakes. It has appeared at several concourse d'Elegance shows: Pebble Beach, Palm Beach, to name a couple. Sold at 2011 Gooding & Company Auction, Amelia Island, Florida, for $528,000.

Edited by AMXFSTBK390 - Jul/17/2015 at 1:45pm
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2015 at 4:08pm
Kool looking car. One small technicality though. There was NO AMC in '56. That didn't come about until 1958. So, the car was a Nash.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
davester304 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davester304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2015 at 4:19pm
Cool car...wonder why it hasn't been on 'Mystery Cars' on the HIFI network? They show a lot of prototypes and one-offs like this. Last one I saw was the Buick Y-Job.
1970 Javelin SST
If you don't look back at it when you park it, you bought the wrong car
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2015 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by rocklandrambler rocklandrambler wrote:

Kool looking car. One small technicality though. There was NO AMC in '56. That didn't come about until 1958. So, the car was a Nash.

I don't believe everything I read, but:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Motors says differently.
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2015 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by rocklandrambler rocklandrambler wrote:

AMC was formed when Hudson merged with Nash.  So there was an AMC ever since May 1, 1954.

In 1956, cars from AMC still came with Hudson or Nash emblems.  It was '57 when the Rambler came with its own logo and no Hudson or Nash badges.

If the Palm Beach has neither Hudson or Nash emblems, then it might be that the "Rambler Palm Beach" designation I've seen for this model--which includes the '69 American Motors Family Album--may just be correct.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2015 at 9:23pm
It should be noted George Romney was Chairman and President of AMC from 1954-1962. Here is a picture of the Palm Beach's front end with a Rambler emblem.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2015 at 1:37am
OOPS, I was wrong    I misread my info source. AMC was formed in '54 and in '58 dropped the Hudson and Nash nameplates. My apologies BTW, is there any picture of the rear of the car?
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2015 at 1:47am
BTW: Rumor has it more then two were built.
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2015 at 12:34pm
By the Rambler "R" emblem used, that would seem to confirm the Rambler Palm Beach name commonly associated with the car.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2015 at 6:24pm
Ok, I'm going to make some corrections to the comments here. The Rambler "Palm Beach "factory prototype show car was owned by the president of AMC, Roy Chapin Jr. not George Romney.  Kind of an interesting story on how this happened from what I've pieced together. Roy Chapin Jr. Roy Jr. graduated college , joined the board of directors of Hudson Motors and started working for Hudson. How do you graduate college and get on the board of directors of automaker, by having your father found the company and your family own a large amount of stock in the company. When Hudson and Nash merged a couple or three years latter Roy Chapin Jr. was now on the merged AMC board of directors even thou at that time he only held a minor sales department position due to his family still owning a significant amount of stock in the new American Motors Corporation .Some how the Chapin family in the form of Roy Chapin Jr. got a hold of the Palm Beach show car after it car show days were done and it sat in there garage for decades until surprise Joe Bortz who collects all the factory show cars found it and bought off the Chapin family. For what ever reason Bortz never fixed the Palm Beach up after buying it , as it came up on EBAY around 2003 or 2004 for sale in very sad shape. It was bid to around 76 K at that time ,  It was in gray primer, had a bent tail fin , and the red leather interior falling off the inside of the car. Not sure who bought it and fixed the car up. But I though 76K or so was reasonable considering it needed a very expensive custom parts ground up restoration , but Bortz's agent  was asking 125K. How would  I know, because I called about the car. Never thought restored it would go over 500K ! LRDaum
LRDaum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic