TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Vacuum wipers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vacuum wipers
    Posted: Jun/22/2015 at 1:14pm
My vacuum wipers are not workin, I was told the fuel pump had a bad diaphram? Could this cause this? Also is it possible to bipass fuel pump & run a seperate vaccum line to the intake?
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2015 at 1:40pm
You can run a line straight from the manifold to the wipers to see if that makes them work. If it doesn't then the wiper motor needs to be rebuilt too. If it does work you can leave it that way but be warned that if you're caught out in a storm the wipers will SLOOOOOOOOOOOW down almost to a stop whenever you accelerate or are going up a hill.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
Todd View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2015 at 1:49pm
Wow, thanks for the fast reply!! Thats what ill try, someont.haf told me.that may.work bit I wasnt sure if it wod mess anything up!! Thanks again :)
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2015 at 1:51pm
Both, pump and wiper motor, most probably need attention
Ollie
jayramb View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayramb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2015 at 5:49pm
if you haven't rebuilt it, have it done for reassurance. Mine works awesome!
Jayson Helenske
See my webiste! www.1967AMCRamblerRebel.weebly.com
Current Cars:
1967 Rambler Rebel 770 290 V8 4-barrel and Paint - Marina Aqua.
1966 MARLIN 327 V8 4 barrel and Paint-Med. Cortez Aqua
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2015 at 6:27pm
I guess I'm challenged. What car year/model are we working on?
Mike
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2015 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by rocklandrambler rocklandrambler wrote:

You can run a line straight from the manifold to the wipers to see if that makes them work. If it doesn't then the wiper motor needs to be rebuilt too. If it does work you can leave it that way but be warned that if you're caught out in a storm the wipers will SLOOOOOOOOOOOW down almost to a stop whenever you accelerate or are going up a hill.

Agreed - and if they are sluggish in any case, I've sprayed a little WD40 into the vent or intake on the wipers and watched how they reacted. If they speed up quite a bit - time for a rebuild, new seals and a good cleaning.
The fuel pump booster keeps some vacuum to the wipers when you are under a load like going up a hill, when manifold vacuum is normally very low.
Bruce Clarkson View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2015 at 8:46pm
I had similar problems with my 67 Ambassador. I had the vacuum wiper motor rebuilt. I connected it to the intake manifold and drove it that way while I looked for the two stage fuel pump. Instead, I found local folks who rebuilt the fuel pump. It's worked great for quite a few miles now. I'm surprised how well this setup works in the rain--- even up hill.

Good luck,
Bruce Clarkson
Bruce Clarkson
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2015 at 10:12pm
people always seem to send their vacuum wiper motors out for rebuild. Is there not a kit to do i yourself?
MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2015 at 11:39pm
I rebuilt the one in my Chevy pickup years ago getting an NOS rebuild kit in Hemmings motor news, worked so darn good I had to turn it down! 

In my Rambler I pulled it apart and greased it, it works great. I drive the car every day and it's performed flawlessly for 4 years.

Brian
1959 Rambler American daily driver. And I mean EVERY SINGLE day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic