TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rockauto parts for a rebuild?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rockauto parts for a rebuild?
    Posted: Apr/14/2015 at 11:56am
Getting ready to rebuild a gen 1 V8. In looking through the Rockauto parts list it seems some of their parts are pretty cheap compared to what is shown on some of the AMC specialty parts sites. I've used their parts on other projects and found them a good value, particularly their items shown on closeout. 

Have others found their stuff to be of good quality and should I do some picking and choosing when getting the parts necessary for a rebuild?

Pushrods for example, $8 at the specialty sites, $2.50 at Rockauto.
BDCVG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDCVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2015 at 12:06pm
When I rebuilt My 390 in 2011 , I picked suppliers based on reviews from this site. For example, The NAPA cam gear had the oil feed hole in the correct spot but 2 Edelbrock ones did not. Rockauto may have some good suppliers for some items maybe not for others. Research now saves time and cash later.
1970 AMX 390 5 spd full Control Freaks front and rear suspension
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III              
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2015 at 1:47pm
I have purchased various parts from RA over the years and never had a problem.  These parts, however, were not for a rebuild.
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2015 at 2:40pm
RockAuto will sell you the same parts you can get at any parts store. The Parts Store will mark up their prices to make some profit.  What RockAuto does is sell you those same parts without the middle man. Those Raybestos parts you order from RockAuto will be the same ones you get at NAPA (or wherever).

I've purchased pushrods from RockAuto and had no issue. I've purchased bearings, gaskets, timing chains, oil pumps.... everything except pistons.  Pick a brand you like and trust, and purchase from Rockauto without any issues.

In my case, even if I factor in shipping, taxes at the border, plus my time/gas to make a run across the line, I'm STILL saving anywhere from 50 to 75% off the local Lordco or NAPA.  NAPA will occasionally pricematch Rockauto simply to get a sale. Lordco has told me to pound sand and that's generally what I tell them now too.

An example:

1987 Dodge Daytona front drive axle.
$50 + shipping through RockAuto
$300 through Lordco

for the same brand name part!!  Lordco tells me they are "new" and not remanufactured, but I have a hard time believing somebody is still making "new" parts for a 30 year old vehicle.  Regardless, I went with the ones from Rockauto and unsurprisingly, I have had no issues with them.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
rockAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2015 at 2:44pm
RockAuto is fine for many parts. I rebuilt my 304 with rod bearings, piston rings and some seals from them. Just watch the shipping as they use different suppliers for different parts so things are shipped from all over the place. The return policy is good if the part is not correct.
DWR
1968 AMX

Traveller View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2015 at 6:11pm
Watch the branding, and they're fine to work with.   I ordered all my Moog chassis stuff through them when I rebuilt the Hornet front ends. Has to use a Raybestos pitman arm since nothing else was available at that time.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2015 at 6:30pm
I seldom buy from Rock because they gave me heartburn about returning something that they said would fit, but would not. Also, three things might come from three different places, resulting in three big shipping charges. Before finalizing the purchase, go to Amazon's site and plug in the parts numbers in their search box. Most things are available at near the same price, considering that shipping is free with a minimal purchase. Returns are not problem, they send a shipping label so you get their rate and they deduct it from the return. Broken stuff is replaced immediately, without returning the broken part before the new one is sent out. 
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2015 at 7:11pm
I'm one of the dumb ones and buy from a local parts store. I like to have somewhat of an economy here. We've already lost enough jobs and replaced them with Meth houses.
captscot View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2015 at 7:42pm
I've purchased several times from Rock Auto and have always been very satisfied with the part(s) and very low prices. They eliminate the middleman, plus buy up NOS surplus parts at pennies on the dollar from suppliers who no longer want to carry a NOS part with low demand. I completely rebuilt a 1968 Jeep Gladiator pick-up with RA parts. Rebuilt the front 4WD hubs, hub bearings, fuel pump, carburetor, master cylinder, wheel cylinders, etc. All NOS.

For a 1980 Oldsmobile diesel wagon purchased NOS frt & rear coil springs, struts, bushings. The mechanic I first brought it to told me to junk the car because the parts where no longer available. I proved him wrong. Had the parts within one week.

RA lists the manufacturer of each part in stock so you know exactly the quality of part. I'll pass up a manufacturer of a part I never heard of over a company like TRW, Moog, Bendix, or Wagner any day. I don't see much risk. I never had a problem.
1972 Javelin AMX - orig owner
1985 Grand Wagoneer
1967 Jeepster
1968 Jeep Gladiator
1959 Jeep CJ5
1929 Marmon model 68
RamblinMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2015 at 9:03pm
Some local vendors will price match online vendors. I saved $60 on an Optima Red Top at Advance by printing an Amazon ad for the same item.
The Right Reverend of Blessed Acceleration
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic