TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Repro Spirit Concord AMX Gremlin GT Flares

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 20>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2021 at 8:08am
I'm putting the AMX back together and my flares are ok.  Are the welt strips that go on the flairs available anywhere?  Mine are cracked and broken.
Victor
79 AMX-original owner, 304 (now 360) w/ 998
88 GW
74 AMX-in my younger days. Plum purple with white stripes, white interior, 304, auto
garweb3 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garweb3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2021 at 4:14pm
Wondering the same thing. Mine are also in the same condition.
1974 Javelin AMX
1980 Spirit AMX
1987 Jeep Comanche Sportruck
FASTNASH View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FASTNASH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2021 at 4:49pm
I have 79 Spirit AMX. I redid car in 1987. Still have it today. Got factory NOS welts and painted with the car. 3 weeks later paint started to crack and peel. After installing on the car. So stripped them and got better flex paint and different paint materials. At that time was pricey about 1/4 what paint materials cost back then. Reshot with paint place sales guy and person from PPG. 

Well it lasted about 3 months. Had plans take in Kenosha in 1987. I was young teenager was freaking out with whole thing. Paint store gave me refund and AMC dealer gave me refund. Dealer sold me a Flaming AMX on hood for $35.00 dollars. Since past 6 months gave dealer $4500.00 for all kinds of NOS parts that replaced on the car. 

Spent $2000.00 for the Paint Materials back then at the paint store. To paint it then. 

I took them off and took heat gun and pushed flares back on fender and quarters. Been like that ever since. And made in Kenosha in 1987. Got silver for my efforts. Drove it out and back. 

That is my story. Lol. 
AMO#3040 NAMDRA#1115 AMC's are just like potato chips you just can't have one.              
SCRAGTOP View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCRAGTOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2021 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by SCRAGTOP SCRAGTOP wrote:

Working with Dave, we have reproduced the welting. The welting is available in Black or natural (clear-ish or whiteish). The factory NOS ones we copied from were natural. They will obviously need to be painted with the car. We decided to make black ones as that is a very common color of the cars.

Dave is working the flares. I am sure he will chime in shortly on the status.

The welting kit we are putting together will have four pieces that are cut to the same length as the NOS ones that we copied.

Welting kits are available now. We need to get pictures up on this thread soon.

Jon

Yes, welting is complete.  We have several pieces available!

Jon
racerkilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2021 at 6:11pm
What kind of price on the 4 pieces of welting?  I own 7 of these amx's. Have basically removed all the welting over the years and installed double side tape. On my 2 original paint cars can see where the welting had rubbed the body though. How do you re attach? glue. I know factory used super short staples 
79AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2021 at 9:43am
Thanks Jon.  I'm also interested in a set of black one.  I have a pair of NOS one for the front if needed.
Victor
79 AMX-original owner, 304 (now 360) w/ 998
88 GW
74 AMX-in my younger days. Plum purple with white stripes, white interior, 304, auto
1ManGang View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2021 at 10:13pm
All,

I do have fender welting in White and Black.  I wanted to fit it to the new flares when they came in but they have been delayed so we will be fitting it to an old flare.  

I posted some profile pics.  The top piece is the NOS piece.  The bottom 2 are the reproductions.

Price per piece is $20.  Each piece is 6 foot long, same as the NOS one used to reproduce.  I have a box to ship them in.  I recommend that you unpack and relax the welts when you receive them.  My NOS one has been rolled for a long time and there are lots of kinks. 

VR,
Dave

Edited by 1ManGang - Mar/13/2021 at 11:17am
garsod View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2021 at 10:59pm
Thanks Dave for the updates for everyone. 
1ManGang View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2021 at 11:20am
I added some welt profile pictures to my last post.

Dave
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2021 at 12:13pm
The welt paint issues sound like when we painted our 74 Vette. Back in the 80s a few 74 bumpers would peel after repaints. We we had our bumper painted with Imron, not to be confused with Emron. Did very well, never peeled from the odd rubber compound used in the 74 Vette nose piece.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 20>
  Share Topic