TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 20 axle removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metallifornia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC 20 axle removal
    Posted: Sep/21/2008 at 7:47pm
I have a 1980 cj7 Jeep with an AMC 20 rearend.  Through some help of this forum I got some info on it.  The axle is stamped with a clear and defined "Y" on the right side of the housing.  I was told that this means it is a 3.07 "Twin-Grip".   All of the info I have read on cj7's a "Y" was not an option for a cj7.   I decided to inspect the ring and pinion gears and since it is a Limited slip, the clutch packs as well.  Clutch packs are fried so I am trying to remove the axles to rebuild them.   I can't get the axle shafts out of the tubes.  I have removed all of the brake components minus the backing plate of course and removed the 4 bolts holding the bearing retainer and the outer seal.  The darn thing won't come out!!   Any help is appreciated.  

-Brian
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2008 at 10:44pm
Put the drum on backwards holding it with the lugs partially threaded on. Use it like a slide hammer.
Make sure you don't pull it off the jack or stands.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2008 at 9:34am
The trouble with the trac-lock is that the outer clutches ride against the case, the inners against the side gears.  Usually, if they're worn to a point of not working, the case and side gears are worn too.  Putting new clutches in without replacing the case and side gears will give you temporary and marginal performance at best.  You also need a special tool to compress the clutches so you can install the spider gears.  Even new, trac-locks only work for 10-20K miles.  If you replace everything, then you might as well just spend a little more and install a Detroit Locker, ARB, or OX.

Bob
tufcj

Edited by tufcj - Sep/22/2008 at 9:35am
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2008 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

Even new, trac-locks only work for 10-20K miles. 
Bob
tufcj

Fresh clutches and mine died first time out in the water box.
Metallifornia View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metallifornia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2008 at 7:35am
So,  I've been trying for a couple of days here to get these axles out.  No luck.  I did the poor man's slide hammer with the brake drum until my head was ready to explode.  What holds these axles in??  I have the 4 bolts removed from the backing plate that bolts to the axle tube.  Which way does the timken baering face??  Is the race pressed in over the bearing and the race is now holding the axle on??

-Brian
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2008 at 7:54am
You sure you have a 20 in your jeep. If it is something ales it may have C clips

(Is the race pressed in over the bearing and the race is now holding the axle on??)
YES
Its not pressed in over The bearing , but it is a tight fit.

74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2008 at 8:49am
An auto parts or tool rental place may have an axle puller tool.  It's basically like the brake drum, with a bracket that attaches to 3 lug bolts and a 5+ lb slide hammer.  It gives you more room to get the weight moving than a brake drum.

The bearing/race is put on the axle while the axle and hub are separate.  You will need to have the axle/hub pressed apart to replace the bearing and outer seal.  There's a cap in the center over a nut that hold them together.   That's best left to a shop, I've seen them stall a 20 ton press.  Be sure to mark them so you re-install the same hub on the same axle.  If the key is sheared, the axle and hub are junk.

Bob
tufcj

Edited by tufcj - Sep/25/2008 at 8:50am
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
Metallifornia View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metallifornia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2008 at 9:58pm
So the 5lb slide hammer did the trick!!  Thanks fellas!

-Brian
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2008 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by poormansMACHINE poormansMACHINE wrote:

Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

Even new, trac-locks only work for 10-20K miles. 
Bob
tufcj

Fresh clutches and mine died first time out in the water box.
I remember that.
cubbyandmel View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubbyandmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2008 at 6:45pm
Where did you get the spider for the slide hammer?  I have a slide hammer but the hub attatchment is not deep enough to bolt on to the lug studs.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic