TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Interesting Oil Article

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interesting Oil Article
    Posted: Oct/19/2014 at 7:03pm
Not expressing my opinion in this area, just posting an interesting article, that runs counter to some of the "rules" I've lived by.

http://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

The Right Reverend of Blessed Acceleration
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2014 at 8:56pm
Based on what I read, I believe this "article" is an advertisement for his "Oil Extreme Concentrate."

And, here we are: http://www.oilextreme.com/oil1.html

I'll stick to what my AMC engine builder told me about the need for zinc.
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
jeremy0711 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2014 at 8:56pm
Interesting read and really long. I am still not sure what is the best oil to use and am still confused with zddp as I use Mobil one synthetic. It says it iis reducing my oil's ability for wear protection. This overall sounds like an ad on at&t site and never stops its promotions to show you what they were suppose to show. Too much zinc is bad as most knows. Amsoil is effective as it has high additives but still not enough protection alone. . I never use thick oil and have never understood their meaning behind it. I blame that on a generation thing.

Edited by jeremy0711 - Oct/19/2014 at 10:02pm
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2014 at 9:01pm
Sounds like he's the patent holder for "Extreme Oil Additive"
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2014 at 10:07pm
I was surprised to read his findings on PROLONG...."improves wear protection capability of synthetic or conventional oil by 46%"

Learned a new word: Tribology (lubrication, friction, wear).

Very interesting article.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
xfactor View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xfactor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2014 at 12:18am
Sounds kinda  like slick 50. Have had nothing but good thinks happen with it in my engines. My youngest son run my 88 Dakota out of water (block heater rusted out) he ran it until it went tight. Went out the next day and it fired right up and I drove it home over a mile with no water. Put new frost plug in filled it back up with water and drove it for another 90,000 kms never burned oil or lost oil pressure. My 03 GMC pickup cracked a head at about 280,000 kms drove it until it spun a rod bearing at 398,000 kms. Started knocking one day oil pressure dropped in half and then the noise went away and the oil pressure went back up almost to where it was. Parked it didn't think it was much longer for this world . So you never know maybe there is something to this additive  
Ray Harper 69 AMX 401
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2014 at 12:21am
I know prolong does work. But, I dont use it.
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2014 at 6:39am
ProLong is a chlorinated lubricant. They have detrimental effects also, but the chlorine does work in scuff tests,

The guy from the article is also correct about the oil forming the hydraulic wedge. But wrong about the wear. The wear happens when the parts are in contact during start and shutdown and when the clearances are too large or the wedge breaks down.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

RamblinMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2014 at 8:25am
Yeah, I noticed that the author "loves" Extreme Oil Additive and reads kinda like a promotion of that product, but it doesn't necessarily eliminate the merit of the article. He does give props to Prolong as well and his rating praises some oil with no additive at all. No mention of Valvoline anywhere, which strikes me as a bit odd with 160+ oils tested.

The Right Reverend of Blessed Acceleration
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2014 at 9:10am
Valvoline was in the top of the list many times

It was 14, 16, 19, all with no additives
40, 42, 44 were the synthetic ones again with no additives.

Edited by tsanchez - Oct/20/2014 at 9:14am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic