TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Looking for shrinker/stretcher & brake.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for shrinker/stretcher & brake.
    Posted: May/19/2014 at 10:20pm

I just did a search thru this tool area and did not see any posts on this.

I am going to need a shrinker / stretcher for the flush mount glass and may need for the rear wheel opening lips.

I have been looking at these 3 and in this order.

http://www.eastwood.com/shrinker-stretcher-combo-set-two-bodiestwo-jaws.html

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200350436_200350436

http://www.harborfreight.com/metal-shrinkerstretcher-set-68897.html

Also looking at sheet metal brakes. This one got better reviews and think it can make tighter bends that can be handy down the road. Right now I just need to do 90* 1”x1” bends in sheet metal.

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-versa-bend-sheet-metal-brake.html#tab_content_reviews

The next 2 look to be the same and has no way to clamp the work without C clamps you have to supply and then the clamp bad bends so ??????

http://www.harborfreight.com/30-inch-bending-brake-67240.html#pr-header-back-to-top-link

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_21309_21309

I don’t want junk or something that I have to replace every time I need to use it but don’t want to (I cant)  spend a lot for something I may not use for a year or more between jobs.

So what ones would you buy or do you have links to others?

Dave ----

TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2014 at 8:27pm
I got the Eastwood pair some time back. Works really slick and it's a solid feeling tool.

-Steve-

FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2014 at 10:13pm
Steve, when you say "Eastwood pair" are you talking the shrinker/stretcher pair
OR
shrinker/stretcher & brake pair?
What ever I get will be a while got hit with some big pet vet bills I have to pay down first.
Thanks
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2014 at 10:28am
You know you're comparing a 20 in brake with a 30 inch brake don't you.

The shrinker/stretchers all look alike, you might find some differences if you could examine them first hand, but they're all made in China.

I've got the Harbor Freight 30 in brake, I reinforced it the way the Eastwood brake is, and it makes better, sharper bends, in thicker metal now. Before making that mod. the clamping bar would flex up in the middle, you'd get nice sharp bends on the ends, but the middle would be rounded.

I've also got a Harbor Freight beading roller, after I reinforced it, it worked much better too.

I still spent less money buying the Harbor Freight tools and reinforcing them, than I would have spent for the Eastwood versions.

One of my friends has the shrinker/stretcher tool, his is on a stand that has a foot control, it's much easier, and accurate, to hold the metal with both hands, and supply the pressure with you foot.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2014 at 1:29pm
Tom, Yes I know so it is not apples to apples. I am worried about the break doing what you said happend, tight on the ends round in the center. I will have a re-look at them again to see about adding a brace.
Then again I am thinking for what I have to do I may pick up some steel & hinges and make one.

The foot op stretcher/shrinker is nice just dont have the room for it.
Only need to do sheet metal for body work that both would be used for.
Thanks
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2014 at 3:23pm
I bought a single Harbor fright shrinker stretcher that you have to swap dies in.

I then found returns on Evilbay and bought a complete pair for less than $40 with shipping! It was like $12 for one and $20 or so for the other. Thought about returning the fright one with double jaws but in the end just kept it for the jaws as they do wear over time.

If you have time, set a search on evilbay and they should come up.

If you buy one body and two jaws, I would be willing to work with you to sell you my new "spare" body. I doubt I will ever need it.

I've a Fury or Rage chop saw, people say they are too expensive and hard on blades, but I have found that just like the composite wheeled saws if you use your "mechanical feel" and don't force it, it cuts really nice and the part can be welded on immediately. It doesn't heat up metal and does not throw the black dust around. I'm not dissing the composite chop saws, just stating what I have.

I need a break, but so far have not been able to decide on one and have a really big space problem. My tools are taking up too much space to work on the cars ! Angry WTF is up with this?
Drain bamage on my part I suspect! Big smile
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2014 at 4:17pm
Wrambler, It's all good we all have are moments Wink
HF had a good sale over the holiday and 1 of the 2 stores near me had the S/S in stock. when I went to pick it up they also had the chop saw for $73 calling my name so I got both. I also picked up a 5 pack of blades but I am thinking they will get broken before I will need them Ouch

I have not used the S/S yet but the saw worked great cutting metal for a sheet metal brake I built. I did a DIY post on it.

I have the same issues with tools at my house/garage not room for the tools I need/want for the jobs I have to do Confused
Oh well I just deal with it best I can
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2014 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by FuzzFace2 FuzzFace2 wrote:

Wrambler,

I have not used the S/S yet but the saw worked great cutting metal for a sheet metal brake I built. I did a DIY post on it.

I have the same issues with tools at my house/garage not room for the tools I need/want for the jobs I have to do Confused
Oh well I just deal with it best I can
Dave ----

Dave, You will love the shrinker stretcher! It is an awesome little tool that really changes the game when you need to make angles do weird things!  You have to be careful when stretching as it will tear the metal  if you try to push it to far in one spot.

I made a foot stand for mine, but screwed up the mountings and need to add to the top platform. There needs to be more space to allow the working from one to clear the other. Once you get all the tools, making it foot operated is a cool weekend project all on its own!

Another tool I bought that I love is a Throatless shear. I liked the Beverly shears, we have one at work, but could not swing the price of a new one, and at the time Harbor fright was having blade chipping issues. I found a third party guy up in New England. He beat Harbor's price and it has cut 16 gauge with no chipped blades. It is pretty awesome to cut sheet stock, with no noise, no power, just you and the tool! I made a stand for it too! no hand cramps from long cuts!

I have a 12" bead roller, still need the stand for it!

Does your brake work? just curious?
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2014 at 10:30pm
I was looking at how eastwood's stand is setup. HF had one when I got the chop saw & S/S but I got the chop saw with out the wife's OK so I knew if I got the shand I would be in the dog house and there is not enough room when the 2 dogs are 140# & 100# each.
I also really dont have the room for the stand for the S/S. The brake I can unscrew the handles and stick it in a corner out of the way.

As for how the brake works I only did a small scrap I had laying around so not a good test. It was ok, would like the bend a little tighter but the bends will be under a molding and not seen so should be good. Will know better this weekend when I want to use it so let you know then.

Throatless shear would be nice also, again room & money that I don't have right now. I do have a good elect. shear and for clean up the old stand by hand shears. IIRC the sides of the glass I need 4= 1/2"x1/2"x26"  and 2 to go across the bottom of the F&R glass I think 56". The long ones I will do in parts.
I will get pictures of all this glass work this weekend & post in my project post.
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic