TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

speakers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2014 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by george w george w wrote:

Nice job with the new speaker. One note though, if your original speaker was 3.2 ohms then the radio may be working a little less due to the slightly higher rated 4 ohm impedance of the new speaker. On the other hand if the OEM speaker was rated at 8 ohms then your radio could be working a tad harder as the 4 ohm speaker can draw more current from the radio's amp ( though I suspect you know this already with IASCA experience ). Your new speaker is likely to be more efficient than the original as well. Another advantage for the new.

Thanks, the speaker turned out well, the attention to details was big in competition back then and I guess it stayed with me. My post above stated the same info about the head unit not working as hard and potentially not providing quite as much output. "Back in the day" it was the big calculations to figure out how many subs of 4,6,8 ohm (single and dual voicecoil) you can install (stereo and mono) before the amplifier was maxed out. I was always amazed at the IASCA Nationals when looking at the factory demo cars and counting how many 1000W amps and 15" subs they had!
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
sandmountainjeep View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandmountainjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2014 at 10:31pm
Great post George! Lots of good info on speakers and how they relate to old radios.
scguy390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scguy390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2014 at 8:16am
I've been looking for a replacement speaker for my '71 Hornet and found one at S&M Electro-Tech. You may want to Google it.

69 SC/Rambler
71 SC360     
72 Gremlin

<
DoughertyAMX View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoughertyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2020 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

Steve, I purchased and aftermarket 4x10 for my AMX and covered it with grill cloth like the originals were done. You can't tell the difference from above yet the sound is "decent". This is from someone that competed in IASCA (car audio competitions) at a fairly high level (world finals twice - 7th and 9th). There are a few members here that work in the audio field or own shops, hopefully they can also provide some feedback.

The speaker I installed was a 4ohm model so the factory AM/FM will actually be working a little less to power it. Plenty of volume but I barely turn the stereo on, I prefer to hear the music the car makes :)

As you can see in this picture, I used the original wiring harness and installed foam etc. as per the factory and every bracket, screw etc was restored.

Where can you get the grill cloth like you used, and is that just adhesive backed foam you used on top of the speaker mount to go between it and the dash?
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2020 at 11:20pm
Though decidedly non-stock, when I installed a 1976 radio into my 1968 American (the P.O. had botched up the hole with pliers and a hacksaw; I made an 18 ga black 'trim plate' to cover the atrocity) the radio wanted 8 ohms, and with that old 2N176 transistor driving it, I did not want to harm it.  8-ohm 6x8's or 5x7's or whatever it was being expensive, and because Rambler Mentality, I made a little carrier that attached to the speaker mounts that accepted two surplus Boston Accoustics 2.5" midrange drivers ($2.00 each from AllElectronics; I have a dozen of them) wired in series. HYUGE magnets, 8 ohms, radio happy. And of course invisible so only Grandpa Nash up in Heaven knows that I cheated.
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2020 at 12:10am
Originally posted by DoughertyAMX DoughertyAMX wrote:

Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

Steve, I purchased and aftermarket 4x10 for my AMX and covered it with grill cloth like the originals were done. You can't tell the difference from above yet the sound is "decent". This is from someone that competed in IASCA (car audio competitions) at a fairly high level (world finals twice - 7th and 9th). There are a few members here that work in the audio field or own shops, hopefully they can also provide some feedback.

The speaker I installed was a 4ohm model so the factory AM/FM will actually be working a little less to power it. Plenty of volume but I barely turn the stereo on, I prefer to hear the music the car makes :)

As you can see in this picture, I used the original wiring harness and installed foam etc. as per the factory and every bracket, screw etc was restored.

Where can you get the grill cloth like you used, and is that just adhesive backed foam you used on top of the speaker mount to go between it and the dash?

Any custom stereo shop should have cloth, yes that's just adhesive foam to replicate the original setup.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
S Curry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Curry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2020 at 8:52am
Tony, I used the dual voice coil speaker like you. I just have an AM radio and series the coils together to the speaker output from the radio. I can't remember, but I thought it was 16 ohms per coil, series together would get you 8 ohms. I believe that is what the AM radio amp was looking for was an 8 ohm load. I used a grille cloth also. Keeps the junk from falling into the speaker cone and making it buzz. Make it short. Sounds great.....
SC
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2020 at 10:21am
If you connected the dual voice coils in series then the resistance (impedance) would be additive. If connected in parallel then the rating would be halved.
Most likely the voice coils of the dual voice coil speaker are rated 8 ohms. If so, then a series connection would yield a 16 ohm load to the radio which would result is the speaker receiving less power from the radio though this would cause no harm to the radio itself. ( The higher the resistance of the speaker the LESS of a load it presents to the radio's amplifier ). You may not have enough volume however.

On the other hand if each voice coil of the dual voice coil speaker is rated at 4 ohms then connecting them in parallel would yield an effective load of 2 ohms and this could very well be a problem for the radio In this case you'd want to series connect the coils together. Connect one conductor of the speaker feed wire pair to the negative terminal of the first voice coil. Then jump the positive terminal of that coil over to the negative terminal of the second voice coil. Connect the positive terminal of the second coil to the remaining conductor of the radio's speaker feed wire.

Assuming the car radio is a mono, single speaker feed, radio, then it doesn't matter which wire goes to the negative terminal and which goes to the positive terminal when you're series connecting the dual voice coils of a single speaker together. It is important however that the positive terminal of the first coil is connected to the negative terminal of the second coil. In a parallel connection negative terminals of both coils are jumped together and positive terminals are jumped together.

When doing a stereo, or multi speaker system, then the polarity and connections must remain the uniform between all the speakers in the system.

Edited by george w - Nov/25/2020 at 10:25am
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
S Curry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Curry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2020 at 7:58am
Like I say. I have the speaker spec's buried somewhere. Dual coil. If I remember correctly the '70 AM radio was looking for an 8 ohm load. Yes, parallel and series multiple coils will give you different impedance. All my notes are buried in storage and my memory is.....I know that the radio prolly sounds better then when it left Kenosha in Feb of 70.
SC
dsm6678 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2022 at 3:42pm
Just getting ready to put new speakers in my 73 javelin. I have the parts manual and it is showing different part number for the speakers between 1973 and 1974. I also have the 1973 manual for the amc radio system for multiplex radios and they are saying 4 ohm speakers for front and rear but like I said 1974 parts book is showing a different part number for the speakers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic