TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

speakers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: speakers
    Posted: Dec/31/2013 at 9:44pm
For an am 8track the 74 tsm says the speakers are 3.2 ohm. Will 4 ohm work? I have always heard that using the wrong impedence speakers could damage the deck. Any opinions or thoughts?
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2013 at 9:48pm
4 will work.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2013 at 10:16pm
I have a 1974 Javelin with Motorola Multiplex AM Radio w/8-Track.
It has the 4 speaker system (2 in each door and 2 in rear package tray).
I recently put all new speakers in the car.
Door speakers are 4 ohms and rear speakers are 8 ohms.
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
target View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2014 at 5:50am
The tsm says all speakers are 3.2 ohm. When I was a youngster we didnt know or worry about such things and just bought speakers. Hooked em up and if something burnt up just bought a new deck. As expensive as these are to repair and a pain in the butt to get out would just hope to avoid any problems from miss matched equipment.
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2014 at 8:41am
The speakers in my 1974 Javelin were the original ones that came from the factory.
When I replaced the speakers, I matched them to the same ohm rating as was marked on the originals.
The door speakers were 4 ohms and rear were 8 ohms.
The speakers I put in my car are very inexpensive, but they are perfect for a 40 year old radio.
The front speakers I bought from Ebay and the rear speakers from Wal-Mart.
** The front speakers need to be no more than 5.25 inches in depth, otherwise they will interfer
with the window mechanism.
Here are photos of my original speakers, you can tell that they have some 40 years wear/tear:

G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2014 at 8:54am
Correction to my above post:
The speakers diameter are 5.25, but the depth needs to be less than 3 inches to not interfer
with the window mechanism.
target View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2014 at 9:58am
How could you tell the ohms of those speakers? What did the rear speakers look like?
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2014 at 10:26am

Rear speakers were in very bad shape, and I took no photos of them, but the marking on them were readable.                                                                                                                                 They are the same 5.25 diameter as the front speakers, but had the 8 ohms markings on them. Does your car have a Speaker Fader Selector Switch (it should if it had 4 speakers from the factory)?                                                                                                                                                 The one on my Javelin is located on the lower right side of dash besides the steering column.The fader switch operates at 2 ohms impendance.                                                                                      Like I said, you can invest in more expensive/better speakers than I selected, but the AM Radio and 8-Track sound great with the speakers I bought and I am very satisfied.                                        The door speakers were about $20 for the pair and the rear speakers were around $18 a pair.

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2014 at 11:10am
The rated impedance of a speaker is a nominal rating as the actual, working impedance ( resistance ) of a speaker varies considerably in actual operation. Virtually all impednace ratings are either a averaged rating or a minimum rating. The slight discrepancy between a 3.2 ohm rated speaker and a 4 ohm rated speaker speaker is insignificant.
Furthermore, going to a higher rated impedance speaker such as an 8 ohm speaker where a 4 ohm speaker had been specified will NOT cause any harm to the radio or an amplifier. Going to a LOWER rated impedance speaker could ( but not always )cause an issue as the potential current draw of the lower impedance speaker could cause overheating of the radio's amplifier section under higher volume conditions as the lower rated impedance speaker will draw more current at higher volume settings. On the other hand, newer speakers ( as compared to the truly cheap, OEM grade speakers originally used ) are typically of much better design with vastly improved cone materials, more powerful ( not neccessarily heavier ) magnets and better voice coils which make the modern speakers more efficient. This means you get more output from the speakers from a given amount of input power from the radio's ampliifer. The net result is that the amplifier is likely to have it easier with a modern speaker that it did with the OEM junk irrespective of the new speakers rated impedance.

Using a 8 ohm speaker where a 3.2 ohm or a 4 ohm speaker was used originally will mean that the radio's ampliifer will deliver less maximum power into the 8 ohm speaker. But... if that 8 ohm speaker is only slightly more efficient that the original 3.2 or 4 ohm speaker then the actual net effect on the radios maximum output level ( without distortion )may be an increase in usable output and certainly fidelity.

My experience with the Motorola built AMC radios of the late sixties and early 70's is that they are are of low usable output power, in the order of 5 to 8 watts or so, for the mono radios and roughly the same power for each channel on the stereo radios. The amplifier sections of these radios is passable from a fidelity standpoint, but nothing approaching the high fidelity amplifiers that we how have in virtually all aftermarket and OEM car audio systems of today.

If you want the OEM look then the best you can do, short of hiding another sound system in the car, is to use the stock radio with modern speakers that will fit into the original AMC factory openings and locations. Noisy and intermittent volume and tone controls on these older factory radios typically will respond to modest application of a volume control cleaner spray to the inside of the control. This requires that the radio be removed from the car and the cover opened so that the nozzle tube of the cleaner spray can be inserted into an opening in the "can" portion of the control so that spray can reach the resistance element and wiping contacts inside the control. Just a little spritz and some quick rotations of the control shafts are all that's usually needed to get the controls operating consistently again. If you're not familiar with such things then just remove the radio and take it to any tv or electronic repair shop. They'll know what to do.   
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
target View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2014 at 11:41am
Wow George. Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic