TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Motorcraft carb on 258 engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2013 at 1:17pm
Here's yet another link

Yet another:

Seriously, if you want a zip file of all the MC2150 info/instructions, I'll email it to you.  I think the Nutter Bypass instructions are somewhere in there, too.

You can also mod your current TFI distributor by taking it completely apart and widening the limiter slot under the base plate.  It's very easy, if you're aware of the other issues with removing and installing a distributor (and taking it apart).  A new one is pretty cheap, to some people.

See here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/working-your-distributor-how-tune-973904/

If you just drop an HEI in, that will "solve" the thing about the Nutter Bypass ( by bypassing your current ignition module), but there are some wiring tips for that swap too.

For reference the TFI ignition part numbers are on this photo (from a jeep site.)  You're not putting a CDI in, but a better coil makes sense to do.  You're going to have to understand the wiring for the new coil first.

The HEI swap is easy enough.  That's what I'm running in my Gremlin, but it's a 76, so nothing complicated with wiring.  The 84 CJ, I put a stock/modified TFI distributor in, as shown in the picture (not mine, sadly.)
76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2013 at 8:56am
It takes a little work to get the things put on by the factory hooked up correctly and working correctly.  That translates into the vacuum lines. They must be correct. If not all you are doing is fooling yourself.
That said. I have never had a problem with either the BBD or the YF carburetor other than they are too small in the first place.  The BBD is 194cfm.  The engine can happily use something up to the almost 400 cfm range.
If what you want to do is strip out the vacuum lines because you have no clue how to re-do them, don't do it half way, get rid of them all. The Electronic feed back on the BBD can be unplugged but before you do that center the metering rod in it's motion.
By the time you screw around with getting parts to fit and linkages to work correctly and you can eventually you also may very well spend as much money as is required to pick up a used 4bbl manifold and a Holly 390 or a Carter AFB 400 or a 500 CFM Holley 2bbl.
A 2100 Autolight will work with an adapter and some creativity.  But it too is still smaller than the engine can use.
A nutter bypass works.  I have not bothered with it, as far as I am concerned it is a half way solution to a bigger problem and not done completely it is not a total solution.
But then again.
If your engine or car must be smogged, be sure you know how to tune it so it can be.
Just saying.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
tojwalk View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tojwalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2014 at 11:11am
Hello,

I would like to get a zip file of all the MC2150 info/instructions. I have a 1988 Eagle with a 1982, 258 I6 in it and am wanting to install a HEI distributor and Motorcarft 2150 carb.

Thank you in advance,

James Duncan
tojwalk@gmail.com
417-291-8653 
Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2014 at 12:00pm
Better yet, here's a link to the PDF file that comes with the eBay guy's carbs:

http://files.meetup.com/633539/Installing%20the%20MotorCraft%20on%20a%20258.pdf

It has just about every tip in there, I believe.

It's been forever since I posted on this thread, and I don't know exactly where all those files are at the moment.  I changed computers and some stuff seems to have vanished.  None of it was anything you couldn't get just from some Google-Fu.  Do a search on MC2100 or MC2150 conversion and you'll have endless streams of stuff to read.
76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2014 at 11:32pm
A 302 should have the 1.08" venturi version good for 287 CFM. Just about right for a 258.

Shouldn't need too much rejetting. Maybe a change of the power valve and one or two main jet sizes, but nothing major. Choke system might need a little finagling.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2014 at 11:48pm
Actually a 258 cu in engine can justify the use of something closer to 373 cfm depending on the rpm used to determine what is a viable option.  And a 400 cfm Carter or Edelbrock AFB is a beautiful option.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2014 at 7:19am
I have a 2100 that I ran for a while on my 258, with the 1.08 venturi size.  Mine has a pretty decent Comp Cam and expects quite a bit of carb on top, so I tried the 2100 after running the Weber 38DGES for a while.

The 2100 was every bit the carb the 38DGES was, and delivered plenty of grunt with a minimum amount of tuning.  I can't remember the jetting.  The Weber delivered the same "feel" and seemed to top out higher, like it was still breathing where the 2100 would sort of ease off.  I'm talking about 85mph in 3rd with the throttle wide open, not anywhere else, too.

So, if you have a stock or slight cammed motor, you cannot go wrong with the 2100!  The 1.08 vs 1.xx thing for a stock or minor mod motor is a no-brainer, get the 1.08.  I ran mine with the Clifford intake/header setup and the 1.08 and like it a lot.

Now, all that said, I have switched to the Holley 470TA, and I can definitely tell the difference through the 3500 - 5000 range at WOT.  It gets to the 1-2 shift with a little more grunt, not a lot, but I notice, and then on that long pull until the 2-3 shift at around 60-65, I really feel the extra effort from the secondaries.  I would have tried the Holley 390, but I found the TA for a steal and couldn't resist.

If you just want a great carb, and don't want to screw so much with linkages and tuning, the 2100 is unbeatable.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2014 at 8:01am
I ran a Holley 390 for a while on a Jeep J-10, 258, Clifford intake, four speed. It ran great, but felt like it could have used a little more carb -- and that was with a stock cam! The only other mod was a 2" exhaust with turbo muffler (no cat). The 390 is a great economy/power compromise, but for all out power you need a little more.

Remember, you can't directly compare 1V/2V cfm with 4V cfm! 1V/2V carbs are measured at 3" of manifold vacuum at WOT. A 4V carb won't maintain 3" at WOT, so engineers cut it in half and rated 4V carbs at 1.5". To compare, convert a two-barrel rating into a four-barrel rating by dividing the two-barrel rating by 1.414. To convert the four-barrel rating to a two-barrel rating, multiply the four-barrel rating by 1.414. So the 287 cfm 1.08 MC2100 is comparable to a 203 cfm 4V.

The 258 is generally good for up to a 500 cfm 4V, which would be a 707 cfm 2V. That is with a better cam/intake/exhaust. The original 2V BBD carb is generally rated at 195 cfm (the only references I've found), equivalent to a 138 cfm 4V. The 390 4V is equal to a 550 cfm 2V. Some racers run the 500 cfm Holley 2V, but you'd get better throttle response and low speed operation with the 390 4V due to the smaller barrels (and only using two of them at low speeds, which increases charge velocity).
Frank Swygert
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2014 at 8:12am
The BBD carburetor rating of 193 CFM is at 1.5 inches of vacuum thus comparisons are like for like as to a Holly 390 4bbl or a Carter 400 CFM AFB. Or larger 2bbls  And as the engine is small a 4bbl does work better than a large 2bbl at lower rpms due to air velocity through the carburetor with just the primaries open.  And  a Carter or now an Edelbrock AFB is even a better choice as the 2nd set of butterflies in the secondary are an air demand set that will not open at all until engine rpm builds to the point that the additional air demand is high enough to open them.  An AFB is far more flexible as it will adapt to the needs of a small engine or a smaller engine.

Edited by uncljohn - Jul/10/2014 at 8:17am
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2014 at 6:28pm
That's the one on Jeeps. Try one off a Dodge 318 early 70s vintage. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic