TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

after market harmonic balancer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krauss101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: after market harmonic balancer
    Posted: Jan/24/2013 at 7:19am
I bought a Professinal products, harmonic balancer, when we installed it it ran into the timing cover, I called the rep and he said your not supposed to seat it (like a chevy) But if you don't seat it and then go to torque the bolt it just draws in in anyway, Do I need some kind of spacer behind it, to keep it from running into the timing cover ?? any thoughts.............
Traveller View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2013 at 9:40am
Did the damper itself hit the cover, or did it have a bolt on counterweight that hit the cover?  I've had to machine the inside groove on a couple AMC balancers (aftermarket) so that the counterweight will have clearance.  Has to be done with a rotary table on a mill or something like it so that the machined groove is the same depth all the way around so balance is not affected.   Keeps the counterweight the correct size for balance.   Think the last one I had to modify was a Professional Products version.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2013 at 9:46am
You might want to check the parts list of a gasket kit for that engine. The old sixes had a cork washer about 3/16" or 1/4" thick as a spacer for that purpose IIRC.
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2013 at 7:05pm
Been there done that..

Learning the hard way... as usual.  Apparently,  Professional Products design their Powerforce harmonic damper (# 80101) specifically for the latter engines.  I don't know when AMC did it but they changed the seal area in the timing covers some time in the '80's and took out the front lip at the seal.  The good thing was you could now change the seal with out taking the timing cover off.  The bad thing is now there is interference with the damper counterweights with the old design front cover.  Just one more part that has to be worked on to make right...

The other thing that I always have to do is open up the inside diameter.  They made the counter bore too shallow so the damper doesn't even engage on to the key before the press fit starts to engage.  So, I sand out the step with a die grinder.  If I don't do this I will actually achieve max torque before it fully seats against the oil slinger.  I will have to call them again to see if they will fix any of this stuff..

Traveller View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2013 at 8:23pm
That looks like the problem I've had to fix!   I caught it when I was putting things together, and realized there was no way the counterweight was going to go on.  The rotating assembly had already been balanced, so the only way to keep the counterweight right was to cut about .080 depth out of the inside of the damper where the counterweight bolts in.   Like I said, you can machine it using a rotary table on the mill, and machine around the whole damper so the damper weight remains neutral, then the counterweight can be bolted back in without having to reduce the size of the weight.   Pain in the rump for something you pay good money to (hopefully) bolt on and go.  I had to hone the I.D. to get it down to only .001 press fit on the last one I did.  It was well over .002 press, so there was no way it was going on easily. 
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2013 at 9:08pm
Imagine trying to die grind out the lip on the cover when it is installed in the vehicle.  Been there done that twice not fun.
My motto is DO NOT trust ANY after market part to be correct. Check everything even though you think that it is a waist of time.  It is not.  The after market is making replacement parts to make a profit. That is their first priority as expected.  It is up to us to make sure that the part will work.  And, it IS NOT AMC specific so, don't go down that road.  
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2013 at 9:48pm
My romac fit perfect and timing marks are dead on
stickshifter View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickshifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2013 at 10:17pm
Buy Chinese, pay Chinese prices, get Chinese quality.
JonnyB View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonnyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2013 at 10:39pm
Hey kids...Most if not all aftermarket balancers are made to be honed...Thats why Professional Products in this case sends a little card in the box with the balancer that lists snout diameters and min/max interference tolerances...

And what Stick said...You basically paid 1/2 price for a balancer anyways...
-Jonny B-

'73 Levi's Gremlin X - 12.081 @ 110.77mph
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2013 at 6:24am
I would not use one of those on my lawn mower.

There is a lot of technology in a properly designed damper, and I am confident that particular piece has none. This is one case where you are far better of with a stock damper, cause you know it has been properly engineered to match the rotating assembly.

Only change a damper when the rotating assembly has been significantly altered such that stock is no longer applicable, or the operating range is significantly above what the factory intended. Then go with a company that has at least some engineering ability like BHJ or ATI. It will still never be as well engineered as stock - the ability simply does not exist in the aftermarket. And definitely not in a cheap knock off peice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic