TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ignition Timing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ignition Timing
    Posted: Jan/19/2013 at 12:21pm
http://www.automotiveu.com/tuningperformance.htm

http://www.powerblocktv.com/episodes/HP2012-04

I found this while trying to research ignition curve setups. And found it very interesting. 
When we got performance cams for the 232 and 258's back when I was young. we also got new dist.weights and springs to match the advance curve required according to engine spec's .
Now it seems I can't even find anything on how to calculate what I would need.
I built a 360 and no matter what I try I get pinging either at the bottom  mid or top of the RPM range. I can get just about any combination I want ,I just need to figure out what I need . 
Ouch 

Edited by toolmanxiii - Jan/19/2013 at 12:42pm
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
bcsideshow View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcsideshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2013 at 2:11pm
I had the exact same problem.  Need more particulars about your engine to make any good advice.  You could search on "major detonation" to find my thread.  The root cause was I have more compression than planned and less than ideal quench.  The things I did to help to limp along were as follows:
Everyone seems to be in agreement initial timing should be in the 10-14 degrees.  Disconnect vac advance.  I was running a prestolite dizzy and welded up the advance plate to limit the advance to about 25 total.  (let me know if you need more info on doing this).  This was less than ideal for performance but worked to minimize detonation.  Be careful though.  You may have detonation on not hear it.  If you have cast pistons they may not last long.  You can also run have race gas half 93.

Need a timing light with advance to know where your timing really is at all rpms.  There is also a chance that your damper has slipped and you are not timing correctly.

My end result to enjoy my 11.8:1 compression is I run 110 octane and have an MSD programmable ignition.  12 initial and 38 total.  The programmable ignition is great.  You can have whatever advance curve you want downloaded via lap top.  I may be trying E85 this year.

Really need to know about your engine to give any real advice.
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2013 at 5:54pm
Like it or not, a 40 year old cast iron engine designed to run on yesterdays premium gasoline, leaded and approaching a level of what was called 101 octane back in the day, will not run on todays 87 octane no matter how wishful your thinking is. When the 390 in my Javelin was built it was designed to run on premium gas and back in the day that was typically 100 octane leaded gas. And you tuned the engine to maximize the performance at the time.
WHY?
Because that was how it worked.
If for some reason you refused to do that you had to DE-tune the engine to run on a mid grade gasoline. In general, retarded the timing, setting it late. The side effect, h.p. was reduced, engine temperatures increased and exhaust manifold temperatures were up. That little thing caused exhaust manifold gaskets to blow.

Fast forward to today those same cast iron wonders of yesteryear still do not run on low octane gasoline if your compression ratio is close to or exceeding the factory 10.5:1. And they still run the same way today as they did the. It is you who has to detune them to get them to do it and complete with the engine heat and exhaust manifold heat And the decreased HP output.
Buy your new V8 what ever (or 6 or 4 or 10 or whateve) has a full electronic engine manigement system that detects knock which is an indication the gasoline is too low an octane for the compression AND what ever the current tune state is and detunes things.
As to your cast iron wonder from yesterday either load it up on Octane Boost or detune it so it will run.
Of course doing that puts you back into engine heat and exhaust manifold gasket failure to to increased exhaust heat caused by late timing.

Building a high compression engine requires high test gasoline with an appropriate octane rating to get them to run well.
For those of you living were 94 and 93 octane is available at the corner gas pump. That stuff is very close to old school 100 octane premium or maybe even better.
For those who live where the best it gets is 91 octane? If your compression ratio is greater than 9:1 or so you are going to have problems detonating and breaking pistons. Either load it up with octane boost or detune it.
I blew 2 engines up before I got smart enough to stop building anything over 9:1.
For those who insist that they are using 87 octane with an 11:1 compression engine? And tune it to put out maximum HP?
No I don't believe it.
Tokyo, Stuttgart and Detroit could not do it or they would have and I really don't think Open Pants Montana is going to pull it off.
But to each there own I guess. But I  have been building 9:1 engines now since some where in the 1980's and they run hard, don't run hot and don't break pistons. I am just building another one and it should be running by summer and I have 2 more to go and then I quit.
As to timing? Depending on the engine I run as much maximum timing that I can get away with, a vacuum advance canister and try to find what the curve is as a function of vacuum, run manifold vacuum to it and pick static timing setting to match the components I use all on premium (in this state 91 octane) gasoline. And I can tell the difference in how the engine runs when I go through NM with a 90 Octane premium and then hit some were south of Chicago where 93 and 94 can be found. And there? The engine sings like it used to when Sunoco 260 was actually 101  leaded gas.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2013 at 6:00pm
OK here goes : i will start at the bottom .
Milodon 8 qt oil pan 
1974 jeep block . line bored & .20 over
welded and ground to spec crank.( heat treated)
balanced rotating assembly
Wiseco forged piston & rods  .20 over
summit moly rings
Crane H 288 cam & lifters . 
self ported cast heads .. 64cc as close as I can tell . I'm unsure what year . and I ground the casting #'s off years ago when I started them .
3 angle cut back 1.98 int. 1.64 exh (I want 2.02 /1.94 at some point)
Elderbrock Torker 2
Holley 650 mech dbp.
Malory dist( on the motor when I got it) accel coil.
T10 4 speed
4:10 twin grip
Oh and stubby headers ..... Its all I had . 2" straight dual pipes 

Its all in a 78 rusted 4 door Concord for now but will end up in the 71 sst ,

Edited by toolmanxiii - Jan/19/2013 at 6:18pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2013 at 6:37pm
I only use what we call premium. 98 octane in everything I own . most of my friends do also . $ for $ they go farther on premium fuel than regular 75 , that yes your car will run with but not go 100,000 miles on . my 72 232 still runs great on it . mind you I still add the lead additive to keep the top end working . and just started adding zinc to the oil thanks to the wealth of information here .

Ps I 'm Cheap... I don't want to computerize a 71 AMC. but I want it to work right. 

Edited by toolmanxiii - Jan/19/2013 at 6:40pm
JonnyB View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonnyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2013 at 7:24pm
So you ported a pair of 304 heads?

I hope you're wanting 1.74" ex and not 1.94...

Anyways...What initial timing are you running?  Whats total advance and when does it all come in?

You should be able to change the springs to get it to come in quicker and change the bushing to get more mechanical advance...
-Jonny B-

'73 Levi's Gremlin X - 12.081 @ 110.77mph
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2013 at 5:13am
Originally posted by JonnyB JonnyB wrote:

So you ported a pair of 304 heads?

I hope you're wanting 1.74" ex and not 1.94...

Anyways...What initial timing are you running?  Whats total advance and when does it all come in?

You should be able to change the springs to get it to come in quicker and change the bushing to get more mechanical advance...
Sorry that was a typing error ,, exh are 1.74.. Embarrassed
That what I was looking for, a chart to show which spring/weight combo does what and when
I started at +8 deg and went as high as 18. in 2 deg increments. vac advance on,off, ported and manifold. 
nothing seems to help just moves the ping point.

uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2013 at 6:32am
Here is one advance curve which is probably more generic than not:

http://www.google.com/imgres?start=97&num=10&hl=en&tbo=d&tbm=isch&tbnid=j3xDto_W7K6usM:&imgrefurl=http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php%3Ft%3D443066%26highlight%3Dhelp%2Bwith%2Btiming%2Badvance%2Bcurve&docid=8J9Y7BzGBmyz2M&imgurl=http://www.junkyardgenius.com/ignition/IgnitionMap.gif&w=910&h=625&ei=JeD7UKL3FaS8iwLzmIDwBw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=658&vpy=183&dur=2043&hovh=186&hovw=271&tx=140&ty=89&sig=101476456098927971906&page=4&tbnh=138&tbnw=201&ndsp=30&ved=1t:429,r:24,s:100,i:76&biw=1280&bih=601

I have found that a service manual for the car or engine that the distributor comes from will give specific advance curve information.
But do you know the actual compression that you are trying to run? That is a significant factor simply because today's gasoline will not support much in the way of compression with out detonation problems. And then frankly to be able to tune to eliminate pinging or detonation that compression causes rather than derive the benefit that compression might bring.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
bcsideshow View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bcsideshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2013 at 7:11am
I am guessing your compression is way high or your damper has slipped and you are not timed where you think you are.  
Here is a compression calculator to help:
http://www.kb-silvolite.com/calc.php?action=comp

Don't be afraid to have initial down to TDC just to try.

Any advance in your cam/ timing chain/gear set up?

Again, an advance timing light would help.
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2013 at 7:25am
An alternative method of setting timing is using a vacuum gauge plugged into manifold vacuum. Set your idle as slow as you can get it to go.  That improves this method of setting timing. It also insures that the mechanical advance does not become a factor. I am able to set my engines dead slow and measured with a tachometer at about 450rpm.
Leaving the vacuum advance line plugged into the vacuum canister simply rotate the distributor in one direction (advance speeds up timing generally and retard slows it down some) and then the other while watching the needle on the vacuum meter. When it peaks that is almost optimum as to where the engine wants it to be. Doing this way usually gives a tad too much advance so when you hit that point then twist the distributor in the retard timing direction just a smidgeon and lock it down.
You should then be able to read the timing with your timing light and expect to see the mark some where around 10 degrees BTC. Where ever it is that will be a function of where the engine wants it but at least you should be able to measure it. Then you can go ahead and set your idle speed where you want it to be.  However the idle jet settings can be done while the vacuum gauge is plugged in. Again, turn jet screws in/out watching the vacuum gauge (all while the engine is idling dead slow) and set the screws for peak vacuum reading. When that is done you can reset idle speed to what rpm you like.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic