TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

manual to power brakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: manual to power brakes
    Posted: May/14/2008 at 12:38am
OK...guys I know this has been covered before...anyway what do I need to convert my 69 AMX from manual
to power assist brakes.....I have newer disk brakes on the front..it stops OK but power would be nice....

thanks..........................
Jim....AMCRC
Treasure Valley AMC Club, Pres
69 AMX 401/727
74 GremlinX 401/727race only
73 Matador 2dr HT 360/727
supaplums View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supaplums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2008 at 7:55am
Hi, hate to jump in and ask my own question but I have a 1961 Rambler American Wagon that I am trying to do the same thing with.  Did they offer power brakes on this model and if so where can I get some parts?  Again sorry to jump in here but I figured the experts might be able to answer both of us at once.  Thanks
Zoner View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zoner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2008 at 10:21am
I'm no expert, so be forewarned...

You will need:

- Master cylinder
- Booster w/check valve & boot
- Longer lines (2) for extra distance from firewall
- 2 more firewall studs
- Booster bracket w/integral pivot
- 3/8" pins (2, booster rod and pedal rod to pivot)
- Pedal rod
- Rod boot @ firewall

Most of this stuff looks to be commonly available with the exception of the booster itself, which is a 7 3/4" Bendix dual-diaphragm unit. I was having trouble getting mine rebuilt (Jeff Kennedy's booster guy finally did it), and if we couldn't rebuild it, then this repro unit looks very much like it, so it was one standby idea:

http://www.piratejack.net/vmchk/8-Boosters/PB8537-Ford-Bronco-1976-77-8-Dual-Bendix-Style.html

The actuator rod is different, but the basic unit looks the same.

The bracket attaches to the firewall with the lower point at the 2 studs where your manual master cylinder already is. The upper two studs are probably empty; the top of the bracket should line up there. The pedal rod goes to the center of the pivot arm, then the end of the pivot arm drives the booster rod.

It's a big assembly. Once in, getting to the #5 and #7 plugs isn't quite so easy anymore.

This is how my 71 was converted, and I assume the 69 will be the same setup. Not quite so sure about the older car; it will depend on how the firewall was drilled, and how much room is available.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2008 at 12:33pm
I've covered this before, but here goes again!

AMC used Bendix brakes for the most part in the early 60s. Some cars had Wagner systems, but they function and mount pretty much the same as the Bendix. Ford also used Bendix -- I think Ford was at least part owner of Bendix. On pre 70 cars there was a bracket that held the booster out from the firewall and raised it about 4-5". This was necessary for clearance. A bell crank was connected to the bracket and booster, the pushrod from the brake pedal connected to the bell crank. Ford used the same thing in 67 and earlier cars (maybe 68). The Ford parts work just fine, but you may have to make a new pushrod or get an adjustable one. The pushrod is nothing more than a flat bar with holes drilled in the ends so a bolt passes through it and the bell crank and brake pedal. As long as the master cylinder bore is correct (1" for Javelin and smaller AMCs) the Ford parts work fine. you may have to use an adapter or two for the brake lines, or better replace the brake lines from the MC to the junction block.

The only problem is the brake pedal itself. A manual pedal doesn't travel as much as a power pedal. When you convert to power brakes the manual pedal will go almost to the floor, maybe an inch from it. That can be alarming at first! When I converted my 63 I noticed that, but the brakes always worked fine. Still, I couldn't drive it that way! I measured a power pedal in a parts car and found out that the pedals were curved differently.  There are three ways to fix it: 1) get the power brake pedal from a parts car and swap, 2) weld a tab BEHIND the pedal, moving the point where the push rod attaches back about 3/4"-1", 3) alter the manual pedal. I chose the last one. I cut the pedal 3/4 of the way through from front to back about 1/4" below the push rod bolt hole with a hack saw. Then I bent the pedal forward enough to close the saw kerf (gap) and welded the pedal. This swung the foot end of the pedal arm forward about 3/4", bringing it up to where it was comfortably off the floor when pressed all the way down. The angle of the foot pedal changes slightly, but not uncomfortably. If you don't like it, make a cut just above the horizontal piece and closr that gap, than weld as you did the high cut. That takes the pedal back to the factory angle and only makes it about 1/8" closer to the floor. The upper cut moves the pedal so much due to the length below the cut.

Go to www.mpbrakes.com and order a booster/master for a 66-69 Ford Fairlane/Torino (http://www.mpbrakes.com/products/product-detail.cfm?product_id=154).  This raises the booster quite a bit -- the bolt holes for the master cylinder are about 4" higher than stock, and the top of the booster is about 4" higher than that. Stock 60s AMC are like that though. I know for sure it will fit the 61 American, and it should clear the AMX hood. A 69 Torino is about the same height. This is a 7" booster, so it's a bit shorter than the 8" or 9" AMC originally used (the 7" is dual diaphragm so it has enough boost).  You may have to drill new holes in the firewall or booster brackets, but other wise it's a bolt in (except for the brake lines mentioned above).

DO NOT tell MP Brakes it's for an AMC! Either tell them it's for the Ford or a customized car that uses the Ford parts. If you tell them it's for an AMC they will tell you they don't have any AMC parts. It's a liability issue on their part -- the parts aren't specified from the supplier to fit AMCs and they haven't test fit anything, so they can't tell you it's for an AMC and won't sell it if you tell them that's what it's for. When you tell them it's for a custom or hot rod it it implied that the system was custom made and responsibility lies with the builder, not the supplier. I know it's a fine line, but that's the way they want it! I talked with the owner a couple years ago, that's what he said we had to do due to possible liability issues on their part. If you stick it in something other than what they said it was for it's obviously your responsibility, not theirs. But that part works!

Edited by farna - May/16/2008 at 12:34pm
Frank Swygert
1967AmericanSW View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967AmericanSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2008 at 10:34pm
farna:

I suggest you have a Moderator place your post as a 'Sticky' concerning PB conversions.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2008 at 4:15pm
I'll do that! 
Frank Swygert
supaplums View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supaplums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2008 at 10:12pm
Farna,

I've got a single chamber master of course on this 61.   Can I use this mc on the power booster from above or do I need a different one? I really am not interested in doing any other brake conversions other than the addition of power.. Please let me know thanks.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 12:42pm
The single MC should work on the booster. MP Brakes also sells a single MC setup -- check the early Mustang listings. Again, tell them you want one for the Mustang or a hot rod -- not an AMC or Rambler. The MC bore still needs to be 1".

You can switch to the safer dual MC easily. All you need to do is plug the hole in the junction block that goes to the rear brakes, use the existing line from the MC to the junction block for the front brakes, and run a new line with a coupler to the rear brake portion of the dual MC. You will likely need to replace the line from the junction block to the front brake portion of the MC with a longer one. That will make the car a little safer -- if one wheel cylinder or brake line fails you still have half your brakes.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic