TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Transmission ID help?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission ID help?
    Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 3:10pm
In my 1966 American I have identified the engine as a 1968 199ci. The transmission is a 3 speed automatic, aluminum case, so i figure it is a Borg Warner. Numbers on the transmission are; 2622 located on a tag(it appears to be riveted on) just forward of the shifter, and ATBS stamped on the case, on the shifter side, just before the tail shaft. What year and manufacturer?
Thanks for all your help,
Ollie
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 4:14pm
You have a Borg Warner T-35, I'm guessing air-cooled. If it has a vacuum modulator, it is a 1967 or newer. If it has the throttle cable, it's probably a '66.

Not much difference between them, and rebuild kits are the same.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 7:47pm
68 used an M-36 from the factory. The 36 may or may not have provisions for a trans fluid cooler, it may be air cooled in that application regardless. If it's air cooled there will be a big opening on the passenger side of the bell housing. Make sure the cover on the lower front of the bell is on or the air cooled model will over heat. The M-37 was used behind the 232 that year and it DOES have fluid cooling provisions, some may be air cooled.

If it has a TV cable (a "kick-down" cable) it's a 62-66 model, as rev said. The later models use an electric switch on the throttle linkage (usually mounted on the intake) to control an electric solenoid inside the trans for kick-down. 
Frank Swygert
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 8:07pm
You have described it to a tea......
The vehicle is a 1966...I have pulled the motor and trans for a complete overhaul. I have determined that the motor is a 1968, 199ci. I would assume (the stupid word) the trans is 1968. It has a vacuum modulator and electric kick down. No cooler lines so much be air cooled. Not a cable shift, linkage.

Sounds like a 68 would be a good guess unless we can get something from the numbers. There is a casting number on the tail shaft, would that help.

I am new to this site and Ramblers. I am Mopar literate as I love 62-65's ....
thanks, Ollie
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 8:29pm
The cable we were talking about is for the kick-down only, not shifting, but you have a vacuum modulator, so no cable.

The tag should have a number on the lower left corner. Unfortunately the numbers were screen printed on the tag -- the stamped number near the center is the serial number. If the tag has been painted over you can use mineral spirits or paint thinner to try and wipe it off, but be careful you don't wipe the black screen printing off too. The black screen print ink is harder to wipe off than paint.

The casting numbers and such don't help a bit. It could be a 66 or 68 trans, both years used the M-36 behind the 199. That said it could be an M-36, 37, or 40. Basically the larger number is a little stronger than the smaller, but not much. There are other differences. The M-35 is the original aluminum model and it had the TV cable (like a GM 700R4) and was only air cooled. The 36 has the vac modulator instead of cable (all but the 35 does). It may or may not have provisions inside for a trans fluid cooler. The 37 definitely has cooler connections, I'm not sure if it was ever used in air cooled mode or not. The M-40 (and later M-4x versions) were never air cooled, not in AMC cars anyway, all liquid cooled. All that is needed for air cooling is the special bell housing and torque converter.

Air cooling works surprisingly well! TomJ drove his 64 Classic wagon with 232 and air cooled M-35 (may have been 36, but I think his car was originally a 196 that he changed over to a 232... might be wrong though!) across Death Valley and into the CA mountains a lot and never had trans problems. He often had a load for camping too!
Frank Swygert
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 9:14pm
Nice info guys....
Future mod would be to build a nice pan with cooling fins on it, increase capacity a qt or 2.

Any black screen paint is long gone. From what u say M-36 sounds like it.

It sure shifts great. Last year I changed the oil and cleaned the screen. It really didn't need it.
Ollie
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 9:30pm
that little aluminum auto trans is a fine thing. air cooling is plenty adequate (i assume you are not racing :-) keeping it adjusted is CRITICAL though but easy. i had one for 23 years (same trans) in a 63 classic behind a 232, towed trailers, 350,000 miles (two or three full rebuilds) and it never overheated, and i added a gauge to it (siliconed it to the case up front and kept air off it).

it's a nice sweet spot of engineering and product. it's not even that inefficient. i think it's limitation is power capability, but within that it is as good as anything.
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic