TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Playmate AMX restoration begins..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
UNFORD View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UNFORD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Playmate AMX restoration begins..
    Posted: Jun/17/2012 at 8:42pm
Here's some links to check out first..
http://www.playmateamx.com/
http://mightypilot.smugmug.com/PlaymateAMX/Restoration
http://www.youtube.com/user/playmateamx

Back in July of 2010 I picked up the pink 1968 AMX given to Playmate of the Year Victoria Vetri by Playboy. Other than hauling the car to Las Vegas in November of the same year for an AMCRC show hosted by SNAMC, the car has sat quietly in a garage for two years waiting for some TLC in the form of a major restoration.

After two years of plotting the course of action, and buying up many fine NOS parts on eBay, the restoration of the Playmate AMX started last weekend on Sunday, June 10th, at the home of John Siciliano, a SoCalAMX club member.

My friend Mike Haley used his Ford 350 to haul the car about a hour's drive from my area to John's. By 10am we had about 7 members from the club there helping tear the car down. About 5 were tasked to remove the front bumper and grille, and prep the engine compartment to pull the engine and transmission out. Two other members invaded the interior, pulling the seats, console, dash, rugs (whats left of them), headliner, sun visors, and rear bumper. We stopped for a hamburger and hotdog bar-b-q, and then got back to the business at hand and pulled the beast 290 engine out. Before the day was over the fenders came off as well. At the end of the day all parts were moved to a local storage unit. That's it for the first day.

The second day of action was yesterday, Saturday June 16. I spent some 7 hours at John's again and the two of us pulled the complete wiring harness out, removed the AC unit, fan blower motor, windshield wiper motor and arms, and hacked at the sound deadening material from under the carpet for several hours. The interior is completely stripped except for the steering wheel and column, and pedals (we need to steer the car while we move it.)

The next day of action won't be the following weekend because we'll be driving north to Reno/Sparks, NV for the AMCRC National Show. But when we get back about the only things left to do are remove the fuel tank and exhaust pipes, windows, and front and rear suspension. We will then build a rotisserie for the car which will allow us to roll the car over and clean the bottom as well as the top.

There's still a lot of planning to do, but we'll address each issue as it comes up. There's rust cancer in the lower right rear quarter panel, and by peeking in an inspection panel from the inside we can see there was some damage to the lower right front quarter panel that was fixed years ago with a lot of bondo. There are two small pin holes in the right floor pan, and the hood has a hole in the front center from where a security pin/pad lock had been installed once and then removed and covered up. We'll have a better idea of the scope of body work after the paint and bondo deposits are removed soon.

Use this link to view a Youtube video we shot of the front end suspension linkage. Wow, the car was driven from Hollywood to Venice Beach, where I bought the car, and it didn't crash along the way! The other links at the top of the page will show many more pictures and videos of our progress.

I'd like to thank these people for their help on the project! It couldn't happen without their skill and labor!!

John and Shelly Siciliano
Allen Tyler
John Caley
Randy Kirby
Dale Crum
Richard White
Mike Haley

Edited by UNFORD - Jun/18/2012 at 12:26am
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2012 at 9:03pm
Very cool.....thank you for saving such an important car!!  .......

Chuck Page
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

idrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2012 at 9:28pm
Mark glad to see the restore it is under way....enjoyed seeing the car in Vegas!!!!!....
Jim....AMCRC
Treasure Valley AMC Club, Pres
69 AMX 401/727
74 GremlinX 401/727race only
73 Matador 2dr HT 360/727
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2012 at 6:43pm
The first time I ever saw that car in person it was (brand new) on it's way to the Playboy Club on Sunset Bl. The last time I saw that car in person it was about 5 miles from my house sitting on the little used car lot in (Marina Del Rey) that was selling it for the former owner. Big smile 

Should be a nice project! Wink

Dennis
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2012 at 6:52pm
Great project!,

What kind of wieght is the ac unit with fan and all? Thinking of removing mine and if its only 20 lbs I may just leave it.
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2012 at 10:31pm
Looks good, I love seeing all of that pink paint!
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
huddy1955 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huddy1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 3:54am
How long ago was it painted black? That pink is a beautiful pink. Beats me why someone would change that color.
1955 Hudson Hornet Custom
1963 Rambler Classic 660 wagon
1969 AMX 343 auto NO# 09 of 24
1973 Rambler Matador Wagon 360
1985 Jeep J20 pick up 360
2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic
plenty of parts cars
CloudyB View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CloudyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 5:40am
Very Cool! Again Thanks for saving the car.
70 BB Green Donohue
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 9:04am
Originally posted by huddy1955 huddy1955 wrote:

How long ago was it painted black? That pink is a beautiful pink. Beats me why someone would change that color.
Here's why:  When Angela was crowned 1968 Playmate of the Year, she drove the car around Los Angeles and guess who stalked, followed, and harassed her?  Men.....so, she repainted the car.....makes sense now?
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 9:41am
There is a joke here somewhere about her needing a restoration, too, right?

Glad to see the project moving forward! Will be great to see!
AMO Newsletter Editor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>
  Share Topic