TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1966 rambler american

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMConverted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2012 at 5:08am
Originally posted by oldsteveo oldsteveo wrote:

That brings back fond memories. Mines a `64 2 door. I made a Gasser (drag race) out of it. I haven't figured out how to put my pictures on, so I guess we will just have to wait until I have 30 submits. Mine had a lot of rust and cancer. The front and rear windshield seals leaked. The floors didn't drain, so I had to replace some sheet metal. I was thinking about useing the aftermarket floor pans from a chevy II. But I decided to use the sheet metal off of an old chevy truck hood. It was kinda like cut to fit. It worked out pretty well. Your dash looks pretty nice, hopefully everything works. Mine was all rusted up with moisture.
My heater cables were rusted and to far gone. A guy at a parts house said to just by a universal aftermarket choke cable and cut to fit. I worked real well. My heater core was shot also. So for $35 I bought a ford heater core that matched up almost perfect. The old gasket material was wasted so when I made a new one, I just made it a little bigger. Works great. Well, have fun with your new project, I know I did with mine. If you have any questions, let me know. Oh, I almost forgot, I didn't want to spend $100 to get my windshield wiper vacuume motor repaired, so I bought a $10 Subaru wiper motor off of craigslist. It turned out pretty good. I had to leave the old wiper bracket off and make a partial one. But no ones going to know when the hood is closed. And if you need a rear glass fitted seal and can't find one, let me know, I think I have the last one in existance, new still on the shelf. Anyway, I'm sure you'll have fun, it looks like a good start for a project. Take care and think twice, cut once.  oldsteveo
Hey oldsteveo, Our Aussie cars are different to your US models in quite a few ways. Firstly, they came to us from over your way in a knockdown form(CKD), they then were painted, and trimmed here using local products, then assembled. They had to have a certain amount of locally sourced content to be sold here. Our hood linings are different(we have vinyl material with hood bars where you guys had the board type, correct? the seats are a different pattern to yours altogether. We have the same heater as 60's Toyotas on our cars, there are no holes up in the plenum chamber, our heaters just sit above the floor up under the dash on the transmission hump. We have the same front brake shoes and wheel cylinders from 66 and 67 Valiant, rear cylinders and shoes are rambler and very hard to source locally nowadays. We got Aussie made electric wiper motors, master cylinders, and radiator I believe.
1967 Rambler American

I'm not old, I'm just old school.

oldsteveo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsteveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2012 at 10:55am
Hey Garry,
Good to hear from you half way around the world.
About the rear window fitted seal. Here's a little history first. You can get the front windshield fitted seal from a number of companies. But beware, the first one I bought was about 3" to short and the glass guy said he did everything to stretch it. Even put it into an oven to soften it up, but it didn't work. That one had the molding groove in it. But I had to settle for one without the groove just to hurry things up and get it out of the shop.  Now about the rear glass seal. I looked high and low on the internet. Some companies have a seal that is kind of like a rubber rope, it has two ends. Sure, it has the three slots in it for the glass, the body metal and the stainless trim. But the catch is, you have to miter the corners to fit the glass and I have been told that you stand a chance of it leaking someday. Anyway, I bought one of those for about $xx and most glass shops don't want to touch them. If your interested in that, I'll sell it for $xx plus shipping. As for the fitted seal, it has the slot for the stainless trim. The catch is, only one place had two left and I bought them both from Blaser's in Illinois. They are in the mail and should be here by the end of this week. I'll let you know how it turns out. Then you can decide if you want it or not. This Blaser's company had a bunch made up about 10 years ago. I think he had a corner on the market because everyone else said that they don't make them any more. He said he had two left. So I bought them both.
I thought I could make a profit on my second one here in the states. But since your halfway around the world and shipping may be a killer, I'll sell it to you for what I paid, $xxx plus shipping. I know that price is steep, but what is a person going to do, drive around with a leaky back glass. Here in Auburn Washington, (98001 zip) it rains 9 months out of the year. I gave you my zip so you can figure the shipping fee. I got with another company and they wanted around $800 for door window felts and door seals, and mines a 2 door. The door locks and some other items. So I kept looking around and found some cheaper. Keep your receipts and make sure you can return the item if it doesn't fit. I haven't found my receipts yet. All that to say, be careful and do a good search before you buy. I'll let you know how my glass turns out. Take care.
Steve

Edited by oldsteveo - Jun/12/2012 at 11:11am
oldsteveo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsteveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2012 at 11:08am
It looks like I've already blown it. Sorry guys about pricing out the rear window seal. It won't happen again. It seems I always learn the hard way. Ok, I just went back and corrected my mistake. I removed the prices. oldsteveo

Edited by oldsteveo - Jun/12/2012 at 11:14am
6705-5R AUS View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6705-5R AUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2012 at 3:36am
Geez I don't know how I missed this one. Great progress already, Hope all goes well for you, PM me or a list of part numbers that you can get in Oz for a few bits and pieces. Where are you in Brisvegas?

By the way that USA 66 Dash is the same as our 67.
67 American 440 Sedan (RHD)
Rambling On View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambling On Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2012 at 5:14am
Originally posted by 6705-5R AUS 6705-5R AUS wrote:

Geez I don't know how I missed this one. Great progress already, Hope all goes well for you, PM me or a list of part numbers that you can get in Oz for a few bits and pieces. Where are you in Brisvegas?

By the way that USA 66 Dash is the same as our 67.

i am in Jindalee beside the brissy river .  hoping to have my new welder i bought of ebay arrive on tuesday . then i am back into plating the rust holes .  the drive line will be left as original but the rest of the car will end up with a few mods along the way . .

this weekend i am going to have a go at wraping the entire dash in a creamy brown vinyl .  then i can hang it on the wall for inspiration LOL . the center trim of the dash will have a red strip inserted into it out of vinyl leaving 2 chrome strips threw the dash . .  i am going with these colors as the exterior of the car will be painted 2 tone red & white ..  ...........

the little bits & pieces i am looking for are . 1 chrome vent knob , wiper mechanisms & arms . wouldnt mind a set of door panel chrome trims . drivers side,metal seat side cover for tilt bench seat . ,,,,,  i also have a few bits not going back on the car . like side trims . wiper washer bag . badges .    i was luckey enough to get a bonnet badge from the states that will be the only badge going back on the car . 

just a sample pic of my back yard motor triming . lol . 95 % of the blue is vinyl wraped in marine vinyl . 

Edited by Rambling On - Jun/15/2012 at 5:23am
1965 Rambler American 440h coup LHD
oldsteveo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsteveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2012 at 1:23am
Topic: Wheel Cylinders 64 Rambler
Posted: Mar/10/2012 at 12:55pm
I have a complete set of new brake wheel cylinders, front and rear for a 64 Rambler American. They are surplus to my needs and I don't want to hassle with returns to two different mail order vendors.
$50 plus shipping. They will fit in a medium priority mail box ($11.95). Joe

Edited by pacerman - Mar/10/2012 at 12:56pm
oldsteveo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldsteveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2012 at 1:26am
Hey Garry, I can't remember if it was you that wanted to find the brake cylinders for your `66 , but would these I saw in for sale area on page #21 fit?
Steve
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambling On Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2012 at 4:05am
Originally posted by oldsteveo oldsteveo wrote:

Hey Garry, I can't remember if it was you that wanted to find the brake cylinders for your `66 , but would these I saw in for sale area on page #21 fit?
Steve

thanks stevo i not sure if they do fit ( can anyone verify it for4 me) . but yes i do need a full set . cheers mate 
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambling On Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2012 at 4:29am
i got stage 1 of my dash done . i wraped it in vinyl . very happy with the end result . tomorow i do the strips threw the center to put the red inserts in . wich will cover the join in the center .

oldsteveo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote oldsteveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2012 at 4:38am
oldsteveo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic