TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Base 390 Javelin Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 36>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2015 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by 69BBB3904spAMX 69BBB3904spAMX wrote:

Yes, hot air "chimney" over the air tube and there is a hole in the "chimney" that allows that air tube bolt to be seen/removed thru the chimney. Also, the spark plug heat shield under the chimney is different than all the others.

Thank you for confirming. And right you are on the odd heat shield (shown on the right).

1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
jav70 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jav70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2015 at 8:18pm
Guys, I installed a replacement harness on my 68 AMX. Just a few things to look out for. It went in great and all of the plugs matched perfectly. Save your old harness for color coding comparison. My harness had 2 wires in the wring place on the plug that plugs onto the ignition switch. It did some crazy things when you turned on the ignition switch. It also had a few of the wires in the wrong place near the vented kick panel where the harness plugs into the harness which feeds the back of the car. Not a big deal to change these wires to where they should be in the plug, and having the old harness as a reference took the guess work out of it. I emailed Kennedy and told him about it. Otherwise it was perfect!
AMC1970 javelin,1968 AMX 343, 1968 AMX 390
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2015 at 7:14am
Yesterday the new gas tank went in, although I still have to connect and secure the fuel line, then undercoat the tank. Then after I install the brake cables, rear shocks, and a new vent hose it will be time to put the car back on the ground to fit the engine and trans.

1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2015 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Ohio AMX Ohio AMX wrote:

With the exhaust manifolds back from the machine shop I was finally able to finish assembling the engine. You have to index the air tube bolts so the holes in the bolts line up with the tubes. Notice the oil pan behind the starter is painted even though this area was missed originally.

With the starter bolted up it was now time for the final coat of AMC Blue engine paint.

A drawing in the TSM shows the hot air baffle for the air cleaner being installed over the air tube, let's hope that's right. The next time you see the 390 it will be in its rightful place!

the AIR bolts don't have to be "indexed".  Did you stack washers to do this?

The OE bolts are undercut at the injection point which allows the air to flow in the recessed area and then into the thru holes which go into the stainless tube and into the exhaust port.  

Yes, you can try to align the holes with the tubes but I haven't seen a car that had this done from the factory.
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2015 at 10:02pm
That's good to know Steve. The torque spec is 35-40 lbs for these which allows about a 1/4 turn for adjustment. that's how I lined them up. I wont lie, this is the first smog setup that I have ever assembled!
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2015 at 6:09pm
Today the engine and trans went in, using plenty of protection for the core support, crossmember, and firewall. I also wrapped the trans. If you look closely you can see the bungee cords which help stabilize the engine and keep it from rotating. Just like a second pair of hands!

OK, right about here I decided it was time to add the motor mounts. LOL

A perfect installation.

1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2015 at 1:44pm
I've been adding accessories to the 390, a bigger job than it appears since everything was bolted up to the old engine using a real grab bag of assorted fasteners. Some were too short, some too long, and none looked like the originals. Luckily I have lots of hardware to use for this but it has to be sized up then refinished. It's coming together nicely though.

1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
Ranger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2015 at 2:06pm
1972 Gremlin X
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2015 at 2:21pm
Your work is exceptional! Thanks for taking the time to post pics & updates on your projects.
Cooper12 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooper12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2015 at 11:03pm
nice car !!!Clap
JASON FLOYD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 36>
  Share Topic