TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Removing Mirror From Housing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing Mirror From Housing
    Posted: Dec/30/2011 at 5:22pm
Does anyone know how to remove the mirror from the housing? This is part of the re-chroming project for my 70 AMX. There are two rivits that I can see from the outside, but they would be difficult to drill out, not to mention impossible to re-rivit. I'm looking for some "trick" way to remove the mirror.See pics and captions below
The left and right side of the housing there are rivits (behind mirror). I wish I could get better pics.
A lot of swirling in the finish. I seem to remember it was like this years ago.
The blurred image is one of the rivits. I think I can drill it out.

Same here.

Any ideas? Thanks, John
John
70 AMX

71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2011 at 6:06pm

That's a late model mirror (I believe 78 & later). The earlier ones have the glass pivot assembly attached with screws. They are not really rivets; it's crimped over casting on the tops of the stanchions. About the only way to get the mirror mounting pivot assembly out is to drill the crimp off. The best way is to do it is to remove the glass from the support mount and you'll find holes through the back of the glass mount. After you drill them, you'll have to grind the stanchions flat on the top and drill and tap them for screws. The big problem is removing the glass, you’ll probably have to break it and get a replacement…

ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2011 at 6:10pm
Might be better off with one of the repro mirrors? Chroming isn't cheap!
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
SportaboutX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SportaboutX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2011 at 8:54pm
I just removed the glass on one of mine. Best way is a high temp heat gun and a plastic prying instrument such as the ones they sell for removing interior door panels. Took me about 20 mins, the glass is only glued at 4 places top and bottom center and sides and I was able to save the glass.

Edited by SportaboutX - Dec/30/2011 at 8:54pm
abndanger View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abndanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2011 at 6:07am
I know the mirrors I had re-chrome a couple years ago cost me $200.00 for the pair. Joe, is right about removing and repairing the mirror. If you break the mirror no worries you can get one made or I have a few which were made up for me I can sell you if needed. Just be careful & take your time.
" LIVING THE AMX DREAM"
1973 AMX Javelin Pierre Cardin
1973 AMX Javelin Barnfind "Wifes"
gwryder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2012 at 12:28pm
Hi All,
Thanks to all for the great inputs. Below is the disassembly of the mirror. All went well except I got in a hurry and broke a tab. I think it will be an easy repair.
Started out with this and a post on the forum

I used SportaboutX's high temp heat gun solution and it worked. Had to be careful because the mirror was protesting with cracking noises.

After drilling out the rivets, all pieces were separate.
This is the back of the mirror support bracket. I got in a hurry and busted off one of the tabs. I think it will be a easy, concealed repair.

Thanks again for all the great inputs

John
John
70 AMX

70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2012 at 2:17pm

Unless your going for a 100% original resto, save your money and sand blast and paint the mirrors. Just a thoughtWink. I painted the inside black.

70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2012 at 3:11pm
good to see a current car outside pic.......I miss having them all in one place so we can talk over the winter...Wink
they call me Capt RETIRED!
dsm6678 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2012 at 4:34pm
[QUOTE=71SC360]

The earlier ones have the glass pivot assembly attached with screws.

How do you get those screws out? Is there a special screwdriver tool for such a tight space? thanks,

Dm
sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2012 at 5:05pm
Mine have Philips screws holding the glass in.  I used an old screwdriver and bent the end to about a 40 degree angle and it works good to reach behind the glass mirror and remove the screws...

Chuck Page    
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic