TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

tilt column rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2012 at 10:01pm
I have not been able to get pictures of this to show anything but a blur. But keep in mind that the lower part of a column only bolts to the steering box one way. The steering wheel only goes onto the upper stub shaft one way. The upper stub shaft of the column has a small notch cut into the end that must point to the top of the column on final assembly, it lines up with a notch cut into the steering wheel. If the notch is not right the wheel will be on upside down.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2013 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by 1970390amx 1970390amx wrote:

This shows the inner most shaft of the steering column, the pars that connect the wheel to the steering box. If you have been following I am using a wagoneer tilt column to build this. The upper piece shown is out of a javelin non tilt column. The lower piece shown is the upper piece out of the jeep column. Each is piece is only half of the original shaft, they are a tight slip fit together they are difficult to get apart. They install from the bottom and top and slide together.

I've got a tilt column barely apart right now and noticed the shaft that connects to the steering box has a splined shaft & coupler whereas the non-tilt column has one that isn't removable. The shaft on the one I'm working on is bent.

It looks like they're not interchangeable.

-Steve-
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2013 at 1:24pm
To be correct they are not interchangeable. I used the lower half of the nontilt and the upper half of the tilt. Where I took them apart they are not meant to come apart at that joint. It is where they are meant to collapse if the car is in an accident. I your lower half is bent you will need to find a different one to rob that piece from. Or find the lower half of a shaft that fits your current column and it will work just not look 100% correct.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2013 at 4:39pm
Thanks for the reply. I've looked over your thread but still can't understand how to get the column apart at the pivot. The spring for the tilt is removed, just can't figure out how the top and bottom are hinged together. There is an insert on each side and it's threaded on the inside. Is it a left hand thread that needs a special tool will unscrew right handed?

-Steve-

1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2013 at 5:36pm
I believe you are talking about the pins that the column tilt on. Upper center of the picture is a tool shown installed that removes the pins. They are a press fit and pull straight out. I have heard some people find a bolt that fits and use a collar and washer with a nut to pull them out. You can rent the correct tool. hope this helps.
apd6545 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apd6545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2013 at 6:24pm
You should not be afraid, I have rebuilt two of them, t & t one on my 70 vette, the other I picked up for my 70 Jav. Same people made both of them. In disassembling the joint: Take a tap in a vice grip and release and remove the spring cover and spring. use the screws that hold the turn single switch in and screw them into the two pivots, use a claw hammer and remove the pivots. Then use the tilt lever, open up the tilt jaws and take it apart. A way to approach it.   
apd6545
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2013 at 7:02pm
Steve, If you plan on ever rebuilding another, buy the special tool. It's only about $5 or $6 and it makes things a lot easier and there's less chance of damage to the housing when you take out the pins. I bought the special tool off Amazon and have rebuild 4 columns since I purchased it. It's worth every penny if you do more than one column. 
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2013 at 12:11pm
I just bought the pin tool yesterday. Wish I'd had it when my Comanche column was apart. I did it the hard way! 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2013 at 5:24pm
I've got the cover off the column and the pins out (1970390AMX was kind enough to send me a pin tool). Does this nut holding the bearings need to be removed? What size is it? It's countersunk in there so a deep socket might be too thick to fit.

Thanks,
-Steve-

71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2013 at 6:19pm
Yup, it needs to be removed.. There's actually a special socket from Kent Moore (J-23193) to take off that nut. I found the socket on ebay for $20 shipped. I've been told that you can grind down a regular socket to make it thinner to get it to fit inside the well but I am a firm believer that the right tool for the job works best.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic