TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ignition switch removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dixieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ignition switch removal
    Posted: May/16/2011 at 2:48pm
How do I get the ignition switch out of my 1969 Javelin? I do not have the keys. I have tried to unscrew the bezel but didin't want to break anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2011 at 5:54pm
The bezel is in two pieces (front and rear) and is held together by a spring and two pins. Push in the rear half (under the dash) and turn. It should on be an 1/8 of a turn of less to unhook the two retainer pins. Once unhooked, the spring should separate the two parts of the bezel.  
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2011 at 6:02pm
The switch itself has pins on each side of it that fit into an "L" shaped slot on the chrome face ring. A spring maintains tension on the ring to hold every thing together. All you have to do is reach behind and twist the switch while holding the chrome face ring in from the front and twist  it about 1/4 turn. The chrome face ring should pop off and the switch will only be connected by the wringing harness. Then all you have to do is disconnect the switch from the wringing harness. It basically pulls off with a couple side tabs to hold the harness on.  Several vendors have keys and new key locks for the ignition switch, but they are pretty much old style GM type. So any good OLD lock shop should either have a new key set or make you a new key to the original lock set. LRDaum
LRDaum
Dixieboy View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dixieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2011 at 10:52am
Thanks , I will give it a try. Is there an on-line library with this kind of info. All I have is an old Mitchell manual and Chilton one which doesn't cover details like this.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2011 at 11:20am
Forget Chilton and Mitchel, get the factory TSM (technical Service Manual). They're reprinted and available for $50-60.  I don't recall if the specific detail for removing the ignition lock is in there, but it covers way more than the manuals you have.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic