TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

i6 headers... do they exist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaredRich555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: i6 headers... do they exist?
    Posted: Jan/04/2011 at 7:14pm
I've been scouring about but can't seem to find an i6 header.  I know, it doesn;t make much sense to swap one in for the factory manifold, but it's cracked and needs replacing anyway.  The manifold itself runs abot 250, so I figured I might as well switch it out with a header.  Has anyone seen or heard of i6 headers at a reasonable price?  Hornet parts in general seem harder to find than most AMC.  Does anyone have any leads on a heavy hornet site that has more options than Rock Auto?

Thanks!

-Jared
Javelin_GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2011 at 7:28pm
Clifford has I6 headers.
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2011 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Javelin_GT Javelin_GT wrote:

Clifford has I6 headers.

I believe they dropped passenger car headers a while ago.
Javelin_GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2011 at 7:44pm
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2011 at 7:54pm
Interesting
I would think either car or Jeep but not both since the front ends are completely different.
JaredRich555 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaredRich555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2011 at 8:03pm
Either way, that's a bit pricey in comparison to getting a new manifold for only 140.
Thikstik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thikstik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2011 at 5:37am
Itll be alot more than just the $ for header because the Cliff header is duel outlet.  i had to  modify #1 tube to work with ps bracketry. Otherwise the one i used (for the 4.0 head) is a good piece and ground clearance is perfect.  
75 gremlin x, jeep 4.0 headed 258,
264H Cliff cam, intake,header. 390 holley. I want a 282 VAM motor!

AC/PS/PDB.

72 AMX , 304 2bbl, 3speed, now disks...probably will sell, want an automatic /AC.

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2011 at 6:40am
The Jeep headers don't fit the cars with a stick very well........... the clutch linkage hits a tube and you have to grind the linkage a bit and dent the tube for clearance.
I agree there are differences between the Jeep and car systems, but I've had Clifford headers on a 6 cyl AMC, and although it works, it's less than perfect because it's, well, for a Jeep!

Another option is to go to the manifolds as used on 1981 and later AMCs, good used. I'd not buy new in any case with all the used stuff floating around.
Headers mean that you will have to move to a performance intake, or break part of the intake off to clear the header.
1968AMC770Wagon View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1968AMC770Wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2011 at 7:12am
I once had a header for early 232 CARS, but that was an early header. Kinda sad I got rid of it, because I will never find another! There are other companies then clifford, I did a lot of research of headers during my 232 build, but then I ended up with a new exhauset manifold that breathes fine for my mild build.
Zach Orcutt

JaredRich555 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaredRich555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2011 at 12:12pm
I'm not sure which manifolds will fit directly with my '75 hornet.  I have the 3.8l 232.  Which years and models would be a direct fit?  thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic