TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Silver '68 - The Project Update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 40>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
target View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Silver '68 - The Project Update
    Posted: Jun/09/2013 at 1:52pm
I never really liked those wheels, till I see yours. They look great on your car as the car looks great as well. I used to have a 68 silver, red interior AMX. It was a 290 auto car. Had Cragars, white letters, and a little lift in the rear to give it stance. Little 290 wasn't a slouch either.
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2013 at 12:28pm
^^^the 1970 model year AMX's were much more detailed in their production dates by AMC and there is public documentation on the net that shows when a particular 70 AMX was built.
68 Model year AMX's are an enigma with respect to production dates and its all estimated, there is no published documentation with vin or door tag numbers to cross reference with a given week of that model year for the cars. All people can do is assume things went like clockwork and the estimated timeframes are correct for any given car. We know parts were batch built for production runs, but that still doesnt really tell us much if you dont know when they were put on the car.
fast401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fast401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2013 at 8:44am

There was a small white tag on the drivers door that said April 1970.  The car was delivered to the dealership in May 1970.  I also have the IBM card and the original owners manual with the delivery date.  The car has been in the family since 1972.

Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!   AMX 19245
Facebook page - AMC Nation
www.fast-401.4t.com
Dave Z View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2013 at 7:14am
I think you may find that parts were more likely to get stockpiled when it was close to labor contract bargaining time.

Dave Z
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2013 at 11:01pm
Never implied that dates on parts indicate the date they were installed on the cars. All I am saying is that there are plenty of examples of AMX's that have dates on parts that are only weeks apart from their estimated final build dates, compared to cars that have dates going back as far as 6 months on some individual parts.

The car in this thread has dates very close to the estimated final assembly, I dont think its unreasonable to consider the possibility that if leaf springs were manufactured after the engine manufacture date, that in this particular case the engine was in an inventory somewhere for what could have been a few weeks....and that this might not have been as uncommon as people think. Even by most estimates, if the engines were assembled up to 5-10 days before the cars were finished that is still thousands of engines sitting somewhere waiting for the car to hit that section of the assembly line. That would have to be a HUGE storage space, wich I would think could hold an extremely large inventory of drivetrain parts from wich I would think they only took what they needed to get to the assembly line on any given day.
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2013 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Steve_P Steve_P wrote:

Engine dates pretty consistently predate the car's manufacturing date anywhere from 5 - 10 weeks. Seat tag dates appear to be very close to the actual manufacturing date and often within a week to 10 days

re the engine dates, is this a typo?   this disagrees very much with what I have found.  I have found it's more like 5-10 DAYS for the completed engine build from the valve cover tag to car build date.  I have some AMC build dates vs sequence from the TSBs and they agree closely with what I have found. 

You are saying that AMC stored 25,000-50,000 completed and assembled engines- since they built ~1000 cars a day and 200K-ish cars a yr.  The engines were not shipped from Russia by ship; they were built basically right next to the final assy line.

And again, the cars were assembled in about a DAY once the bodies were welded up.  So the time that the seat, windshield, carpet, differential, whatever, were installed on the line is irrelevant to their date codes and the production date of the car.  This has to do with vendor production schedules and NOT when the part was installed in the car. 

Should have been more specific. The date stamp on the crankshaft and heads are always 5-10 weeks before the car's build date. I've pulled apart dozens of cars for restoration now over the past 5 years and they all had roughly the same time lag in the date stampings on the heads and cranks when compared to the engine tags on the valve cover.'

And as stated, many parts were made in batches so it is not uncommon to see the exact same date stamping or date pad on the crank and heads on different cars made at different times. There was no such thing as JIT (just in time) manufacturing back in those days so forging and castings as well as vendor parts were made in batches with a supply chain replenishment strategy based upon both anticipated requirements in combination with actual cars ordered from both dealers and consumers.
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2013 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by 348AMX 348AMX wrote:

Originally posted by amx39068 amx39068 wrote:

Its also weird that the rear springs have a later date than the engine since a lot of people go by the engine tag to get the closest date to the approx final assembly date. The rear springs and engine were installed at the same place on the assembly line as well. So this is one example where an engine could have been in inventory for a bit before it got installed in the car.

Engine dates pretty consistently predate the car's manufacturing date anywhere from 5 - 10 weeks. Seat tag dates appear to be very close to the actual manufacturing date and often within a week to 10 days.

this car also continues to confirm from my research that the 68 AMX models built later in the calendar year had MUCH closer manufactured dates on the individual components than cars built a lot earlier in the 68 year; and the manufactured dates got a lot closer to the final assembly day when they rolled out of the factory. I would attribute this to the assembley line process getting more efficient as the model year progressed with the all new AMX.
The leaf springs, valve cover, center speaker dash pad, and other dates he posted are all within several weeks of eachother and/or the approx day it rolled off the line.

I have researched this pretty thoroughly at this point and early cars had dates on parts that were MONTHS apart much more frequently.

This is not really true.  I have said this before .... I will say it again LOL . One last time.

Some parts built on my car were built months earlier than cars built 2-4 weeks later- PS box was 3-4 months earlier than a car built 2-3 wks later.  But, they also had identically dated other parts- proportioning valve, etc.   So three cars built within a ~3 week period have the same DAY production proportion valve. 

What does this mean?  Again, parts were very much batch built for these periods.  This was not AMCs production line efficiency.  It was vendor batch build dates.  I have seen dozens of AIR hoses with the same date codes over the years.  Meaning they only built those hoses a few days a month.  And since AMC did not make a lot of 4 spd cars this makes sense.  At least to me.

If you look at the production numbers, they are fairly steady once the line was running a few weeks.  the AMX went together same as the Javelin and Rambler once the bodies hit the line.  Again, it was an assy line, the models were on the SAME line- they had to proceed at the same rate.  Right?

Clear as mud LOL ? 

Edited by Steve_P - Jun/08/2013 at 3:42pm
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2013 at 3:01pm

Engine dates pretty consistently predate the car's manufacturing date anywhere from 5 - 10 weeks. Seat tag dates appear to be very close to the actual manufacturing date and often within a week to 10 days

re the engine dates, is this a typo?   this disagrees very much with what I have found.  I have found it's more like 5-10 DAYS for the completed engine build from the valve cover tag to car build date.  I have some AMC build dates vs sequence from the TSBs and they agree closely with what I have found. 

You are saying that AMC stored 25,000-50,000 completed and assembled engines- since they built ~1000 cars a day and 200K-ish cars a yr.  The engines were not shipped from Russia by ship; they were built basically right next to the final assy line.

And again, the cars were assembled in about a DAY once the bodies were welded up.  So the time that the seat, windshield, carpet, differential, whatever, were installed on the line is irrelevant to their date codes and the production date of the car.  This has to do with vendor production schedules and NOT when the part was installed in the car. 

348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2013 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by amx39068 amx39068 wrote:

Its also weird that the rear springs have a later date than the engine since a lot of people go by the engine tag to get the closest date to the approx final assembly date. The rear springs and engine were installed at the same place on the assembly line as well. So this is one example where an engine could have been in inventory for a bit before it got installed in the car.

Engine dates pretty consistently predate the car's manufacturing date anywhere from 5 - 10 weeks. Seat tag dates appear to be very close to the actual manufacturing date and often within a week to 10 days.

this car also continues to confirm from my research that the 68 AMX models built later in the calendar year had MUCH closer manufactured dates on the individual components than cars built a lot earlier in the 68 year; and the manufactured dates got a lot closer to the final assembly day when they rolled out of the factory. I would attribute this to the assembley line process getting more efficient as the model year progressed with the all new AMX.
The leaf springs, valve cover, center speaker dash pad, and other dates he posted are all within several weeks of eachother and/or the approx day it rolled off the line.

I have researched this pretty thoroughly at this point and early cars had dates on parts that were MONTHS apart much more frequently.

Edited by 348AMX - Jun/07/2013 at 1:28pm
strokerx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strokerx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2013 at 12:41pm
I have never seen an amc I didn't like and your color combo is truely a work of art.It is so classy looking great job.
LONG LIVE AMC

1965 MARLIN,1968 AMX,1968 AMX,1967 AMERICAN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 40>
  Share Topic