TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 304 heads, chamber size, compression ratio, cast#?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

304 heads, chamber size, compression ratio, cast#?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pauldana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 304 heads, chamber size, compression ratio, cast#?
    Posted: Oct/20/2010 at 2:28pm
ok.... I am trying to rebuild my sons 304 up to give it a little bit more power... and i dont want to go to a 360 or 401....i want to stay with the 304.

that being said.... 

My understanding is that in 72 the chamber size of the heads increased, thus bringing down compression..... what chamber size are 72 heads? what chamber size are 71 and earlier heads? what can be done to decrees chamber size, ie deck the heads? and how far can you deck them? deck the block? how much can you deck off the block? bigger size valves to decrees chamber size? what are the casting numbers of the smaller size heads? what are the casting numbers of the larger chamber size heads? 

was also informed that chevy 305 pistons will work with some boring work and bring up the compression... ???

thoughts????

thx, Paul
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2010 at 2:38pm
Everything you wanted to know about AMC V8 head castings courtesy Dave Crooks.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/david.crooks/AMC_HEAD_DESIGN.pdf
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
Mean71 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mean71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2010 at 2:40pm
I'm no expert on the matter, but I believe the early '71 heads are about 8-10 cc's smaller than the later '71+ heads.  I heard you can mill the heads to get about .2 points of compression, but even if you're gonna get the engine machined, put on the smaller chamber heads,  and if you got higher compression pistons it's still only gonna come up to about a 15-25 hp gain.  304's aren't very good for building up...in the long run you're kind of just throwing money away.  The same improvements would give you twice an improvement in a 360 or 401.  In my opinion, the best thing you can do that would be worth your money would be to get a 4bbl set up and maybe some headers.   That should put you up to about 180-190 net hp.

Edited by Mean71 - Oct/20/2010 at 2:43pm
pauldana View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pauldana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2010 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by bigbad69 bigbad69 wrote:

Everything you wanted to know about AMC V8 head castings courtesy Dave Crooks.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/david.crooks/AMC_HEAD_DESIGN.pdf

will check it out and read it... thx...
idrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2010 at 2:47pm
304 heads....

70/early 71 52.2cc ... casting # 319-9517
late 71 and later 58.92cc

74 and later bridged style...
Jim....AMCRC
Treasure Valley AMC Club, Pres
69 AMX 401/727
74 GremlinX 401/727race only
73 Matador 2dr HT 360/727
pauldana View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pauldana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2010 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Mean71 Mean71 wrote:

I'm no expert on the matter, but I believe the early '71 heads are about 8-10 cc's smaller than the later '71+ heads.  I heard you can mill the heads to get about .2 points of compression, but even if you're gonna get the engine machined, put on the smaller chamber heads,  and if you got higher compression pistons it's still only gonna come up to about a 15-25 hp gain.  304's aren't very good for building up...in the long run you're kind of just throwing money away.  The same improvements would give you twice an improvement in a 360 or 401.  In my opinion, the best thing you can do that would be worth your money would be to get a 4bbl set up and maybe some headers.   That should put you up to about 180-190 net hp.

with a good cam change and some good head work, and of course manifold changes, i believe i should be able to get 300hp and ~375 tq.... these should not be hard to reach numbers... 

i got 440tq and 460hp at the rear wheels through an irs rear-end, from my 383 build.... thats well over 550 at the crank.... im only looking for 300 out of the AMC 304///......
pauldana View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pauldana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2010 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by idrambler idrambler wrote:

304 heads....

70/early 71 52.2cc ... casting # 319-9517
late 71 and later 58.92cc

74 and later bridged style...

74 and later bridged style...????? can you explain? what are the chamber sizes? will they work on a 72 block?  thx.. p

will the 71 and earlier heads work on a 71 block? 

where can i find "70/early 71 52.2cc ... casting # 319-9517"

Edited by pauldana - Oct/20/2010 at 2:52pm
Mean71 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mean71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2010 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by pauldana pauldana wrote:

Originally posted by Mean71 Mean71 wrote:

with a good cam change and some good head work, and of course manifold changes, i believe i should be able to get 300hp and ~375 tq.... these should not be hard to reach numbers... 

i got 440tq and 460hp at the rear wheels through an irs rear-end, from my 383 build.... thats well over 550 at the crank.... im only looking for 300 out of the AMC 304///......

The heads on the 304 are pretty pitiful--trust me, I've looked up all of this before because I have a 304 in my Javelin.  There was a guy on here that did everything you want to do plus he bored and stroked the engine and only made about 280 gross rated hp.   With a 360 no, those numbers wouldn't be hard to reach.   Unfortunately the 304 doesn't react much to performance upgrades...  I'm sure you could buy some nice heads for a 304, get a nice cam and do a bunch of machining, but by the time it's all said and done you could have built yourself a 360 with more horsepower for the same amount of money.

Actually, if you look up my older posts, I came on these forums originally hoping to do the same thing as you.  I've seen people literally giving away 360's.

Edited by Mean71 - Oct/20/2010 at 2:58pm
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2010 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by pauldana pauldana wrote:

That's nice.
You're working with an undersquare engine that's breathing impaired because of it.

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2010 at 3:43pm
I agree - good luck............ it's not just CID, it's pumping efficiency. The 304 ain't got it, and has trouble getting it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic