TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

MP3 player with old radio : one solution .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2010 at 8:30am
The problem with all of this is that you still end up with a plain old mono sound system.  I'm planning to get my radio rebuilt to a stereo unit.... Has anyone used these guys??

http://www.turnswitch.com/

Chuck Page
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

ronilevi View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronilevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2010 at 5:44pm
@ Sidewinder:
The beauty of this is that it is dirt simple and does not require much more than the mini RCA jack.

Gryzynx stated:
Originally posted by gryzynx gryzynx wrote:

I think you are missing the point about the purpose of those resistors. They are not to "match levels", rather, they are being used to sum the two low impedence outputs of the L and R audio source from the MP3 player into a single mono analogue signal while providing adequate isolation between the two outputs. The value chosen is probably a good compromise between isolation and minimal signal loss. Remember, this is offered up as a $5 fix. Sky is the limit if you want to reengineer the whole works.

What this equates to is no loss of signal by playing a stereo source (your mp3 player) through your mono radio.

@ Gryzynx:

Thanks for answering my questions. I am going to purchase this jack straightaway!

As far as your response on the capacitor, I will have to further investigate this DC blocking you referred to and maybe reevaluate my understanding of it.

I am going to proceed with this hack as soon as my part comes in. I'll try and repost here on my progress and findings.
Mean71 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mean71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2011 at 10:47am
Why not just buy a super cheap stereo from ebay or Amazon for $50 and install it in a hidden place?  That's what I plan on doing with my Javelin.
sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2011 at 10:59am
dan....1)  where the heck can you hide it?   2)  more wires and crap    3)  if it's hidden don't ya think it will be hard to change stations etc....   to each his own but I'm having my radio converted....

Chuck Page

gryzynx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gryzynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2011 at 7:20pm
I think the beauty of this is that you can grab the volume control of the stock radio in the stock location and crank up some audio media that you may actually want to hear. Last time that happened to me was in 2008 when I picked up my Rambler fresh from it's engine rebuild in Oakbank, Manitoba and turned on 1290 CFRW which was playing an all oldies format at the time. (They have since changed to an all sports format and I no longer live in the area.) Stock radio remains functional and original. Broadcasting has lost it's luster over the years and programming selection may be spotty depending on your locale. Of course, sound quality is not up to even the most inexpensive aftermarket systems, but it is no worse than what the car originally was equipped with. If I want top notch sound, I'll hop in my wife's Subaru and crank up the CD player, but it's still not the trip that driving my Rambler is.
Monza_1966 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monza_1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2011 at 6:14am
seems like a lot of work to use an old radio. If your just wanting to not see a modern radio, just put it in your glove box. I'm accually putting a deck in my wagon that doubles as a mp3, tv, usb, and memory chip player. I'm going to place it on the ceiling in a modified corvair stereo box. It should be really nice.
1966 Chevy Corvair Monza
1963 Rambler 880 Cross Country
cali201 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2011 at 7:24am
I have had both of my Am radios converted to AM/FM with rca inputs on the back as I use my Ipod lots.  Both radios were also increased to output more power.  In my AMX I used a duel cone speaker in the stock location for the "stereo" and on the Javelin utilized multiple speakers in their stock locations.   While it was pricey I could not be happier with what I have, a stock radio that does everything I ask of it. The only way you would know it is not 100% stock is if you take the dash apart and remove the radio which I do not think anyone will do to my car.  A few people who have heard my radio are shocked at the sound of an old AM radio!!  When I first got my AMX I tried a modern radio under the seat but as mentioned try to change the station, etc.   The Metropolitan I am restoring had a modern unit mounted under the dash when I got it.  First thing I did was rip that out and when the car comes back from the paint shop I will be installing a radio I got from a guy in Kalifornia.  It is a Metropolitan radio case (they are very bulky things) with new guts with Am/FM and rca input, new speaker (the speaker on those radios was part of the radio itself!!).  Again I will have a 100% looking stock radio with modern performance (somewhat due to the one speaker, he should have used a duel voice cone speaker which I may swap out)

Edited by cali201 - Jan/03/2011 at 7:26am
Chisam View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chisam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2011 at 9:59am
I just had turnswitch convert my 68 AM/FM. It took about 8 weeks, it is done and on it's way back  now. I won't know how I will like it as the car is put away for the winter and I won't put it in untill sometime in the spring. Maybe a bit pricy but I put a hidden one in from autosound and I just didn't like the way it worked so I sent my AMX radio to  turnswitch to be converted. It is a AM/FM and some said don't change it as it is some what rare but I wanted it to work good.
1968 AMX 390 4SP
sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2011 at 10:19am
Let us know how you like it...do you plan to bench test it when it comes back?   I have the same situation with mine.  Original AM/FM....crappy mono sound....   I have two AM/FM radios so I do have a back-up.   Can I ask what they charge??   Thanks....

Chuck Page

Chisam View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chisam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2011 at 1:50am
Turnswitch will either repair or do a conversion to your radio. They explane what they can do on their site.  They gave me a cost of repair, 150.00 to 200.00, I had the conversion done and shipped back it was 430.00. They seem to be good to deal with, they reply emails right away, let me know when they received it ,when the work was done and they weren't fussy how it was paid for. It may sound like a lot but I did try the hidden radio and while the sound was good, just not easy to change or adjust while driving. I do like the dash speaker that custom autosound has, two speakers that replace your stock speaker, fits in the stock location and a lot better sound with no cutting of the dash.    
1968 AMX 390 4SP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic