TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC-390 Performance parts ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HURSTSSAMX69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC-390 Performance parts ?
    Posted: Jan/28/2010 at 12:47am
Where dose one find these parts ? . . . I can't really seem to find anything but some basic stuff . . .

Head's & Camshafts seem to be easy finds along with intakes carb's and Distributors/ignitions . . .

what about Forged crank's rod's piston's moly ring's ? timing gears ?  ECT !

Mike
1953 REO M48 w/w.
1962 GMC C3000.
1966 Rambler Classic.
1969 AMC AMX-390.
1982 Chevy C30 diesel.

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2010 at 6:47am
Timing gears = most use roller timing sets, found all over the place...... summit, jegs, and search our VENDOR section.
Mike Luke sells very nice valve train components.
Pistons? What did Dan from AZ just post about pistons? He mentioned specific brands and sources.
BassBoat and Skeown mention pistons, brands and sources.
What about bulltear.com? A Very commonly mentioned vendor - and forum member, MC from MN.
They are all over the place! Reading a few posts will show some, some of those items are specifically mentioned in the shootout thread. We just discussed pistons in the hyper vs forged thread that came up recently. KB is one source for hyper, and several for forged pistons were mentioned.
There's even a recent thread on "reproduction crankshafts" from last week or so........ (if you can afford)
Rings you can by from NAPA! That's no secret. I had my machine shop furnish mine, but I'm sort of wishing I'd have just gone cast in my case. Rings are in every parts store, thanks to the long-lived Jeep. Even EBAY.
High-performance bolt sets are also mentioned here a lot - rod and head bolts are super-easy to find.
The vendor section, and a few threads on engines here will yield all the parts you need from strong street to 600hp strip action (or more)
LOL - go to the AMO show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you'll find what you need. Or how about joining NAMDRA where they are race/performance oriented? Their annual event swap often has some vendors that sell performance parts you can look, feel, buy and drive away with.

HURSTSSAMX69 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HURSTSSAMX69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2010 at 7:00am
what i find funny is when i search Jeg's & summit and even PAW all i find is generic cast parts, and yes i found the KB hyp. pistons i got told they were junk.

I was shown a photos of then chip busted  n shattered, So now I'm lost as to what to do and where to look .

I have not a clue who Dan from AZ is, i have not yet seen these threads you list  help ! ! !

I tired doing a forum search after 2 dozen threads telling absolutely nothing i gave up . . .

Mike

Edited by HURSTSSAMX69 - Jan/28/2010 at 7:02am
1953 REO M48 w/w.
1962 GMC C3000.
1966 Rambler Classic.
1969 AMC AMX-390.
1982 Chevy C30 diesel.

Hornet_X View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hornet_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2010 at 7:13am
Hurst, i also now stock the Roll master timing chain set up, avery Nice Billet piece
Mike Luke
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2010 at 7:20am
Originally posted by HURSTSSAMX69 HURSTSSAMX69 wrote:

what i find funny is when i search Jeg's & summit and even PAW all i find is generic cast parts, and yes i found the KB hyp. pistons i got told they were junk.

Good grief...... BS! That's all I gotta say, as we've been down that road. Only folks that make mistakes or don't understand them call 'em junk. There's a lot of success stories with them, too.
But go forged if you are so inclined as they are SIMPLER! Then we won't go through all this again.....

Mike Luke - do you have roller sets for the 4.0??
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HURSTSSAMX69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2010 at 7:26am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

[QUOTE=HURSTSSAMX69] Good grief...... BS! That's all I gotta say, as we've been down that road. Only folks that make mistakes or don't understand them call 'em junk. There's a lot of success stories with them, too.
But go forged if you are so inclined as they are SIMPLER! Then we won't go through all this again.....

Ya i had my suspicions, as last i heard Kieth Black was top notch at least for building 406 Chevy's . . .

I'm shooting for 12.5:1 compression 7,500rpm AMC-390. I don't want to have to rebuild this thing every spring or every other spring . . .

Powerful & Strong is the name of the game, I don't want any #2 or #3 parts here all #1 Wink

Mike

Edited by HURSTSSAMX69 - Jan/28/2010 at 7:29am
1953 REO M48 w/w.
1962 GMC C3000.
1966 Rambler Classic.
1969 AMC AMX-390.
1982 Chevy C30 diesel.

AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HURSTSSAMX69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2010 at 8:10am
1953 REO M48 w/w.
1962 GMC C3000.
1966 Rambler Classic.
1969 AMC AMX-390.
1982 Chevy C30 diesel.

73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2010 at 8:25am
Wow! Your looking to spend a fortune. Street or drag?
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2010 at 8:30am
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Piston+Rings+-+Premium/03383/C0365.oap?make=American+Motors&model=Javelin&year=1970&vi=1004948
firecapt321 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Account deleted per user request

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firecapt321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2010 at 8:34am
So lets be clear here....

You just said your wanting a high compression 12.0+ to 1 race gas only engine, with an adapted crossram ez efi set up, with and edelbrock perfomer hyd flat tappet camshaft running out to 7500 rpm....??

And who exactly is gonna be building this thing???

Edited by firecapt321 - Jan/28/2010 at 8:36am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic