TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What master cylinder would fit 63 classic manual
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

What master cylinder would fit 63 classic manual

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaddyJules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What master cylinder would fit 63 classic manual
    Posted: May/24/2023 at 12:16pm
Hey all, my master cylinder has been sweating out the fluid, it came to a head today when I came out from the store to the brake going almost to the floor, does anyone know what after market master cylinder would fit or if anyone has a working manual master cylinder that they’re willing to part with. Thanks y’all!
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2023 at 1:00pm
The commonly available dual master that you can make work came on drum brake Hornets and Gremlins:
It is: RAYBESTOS MC36237  (or equivalent in Cardone or Centric). It's $66. on RockAuto, it's new, and you might need some brake line adapter fittings.
Good luck!
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
DaddyJules View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaddyJules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2023 at 10:30pm
Thanks! I just ordered it, I’ve never replaced a master cylinder before, will I have to change anything else besides maybe the fittings? 
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2023 at 2:29am
Make sure to bench-bleed the master cylinder before you install it on the car. It'll save you some grief.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2023 at 9:56am
You might have to change the pushrod length. Be careful there! Too short a rod and you won't get full braking, to long and the brakes could drag and they will want to grab quickly with a light touch of the pedal. You might have to pull the rod several times if it's long and you're trimming it. Be patient and only take off about 1/8" at a time. Get it too short and you have to find another and start over.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic