TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

NX on 360

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gremlin71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NX on 360
    Posted: Jan/24/2023 at 8:11am
I have a 71 Gremlin with a 360 in it that is stock except for the cam and headers I race it at the drag strip and want to put a little bit of spray on it how big of a shot do you think i could give on 110 race gas, or if I should put any NX on it at all. 

Thanks Landon 
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2023 at 8:38am
If you have a good running engine I would forgo the Nitrous if you want to keep the pistons in it.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2023 at 8:44am
Stock 360's weaknesses are (in order)

Cast pistons
Stock rod bolts
Cast rods
Cast crank.

Forged pistons & aftermarket rod bolts would be my minimum requirements to run Nitrous in a 360.

The cast pistons really don't do well with detonation,
they could already be cracked just from normal use.

The rods should be fairly reliable to 6000rpms for a while (if they're not already over-abused), but the stock rod bolts will be the part that complains first (after the pistons).

The cast crank should take almost anything you throw at it, after the pistons and rods are upgraded.

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2023 at 9:01am
Do you race at Winterport, Oxford, or NED?  Andy 
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
Gremlin71 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gremlin71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2023 at 9:48am
oxford 
POS #1 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POS #1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2023 at 12:03pm
my .02..
Sniper kit... those have 75/100/125 jets.....  I''d rather use cast pistons then hypertonic or what  ever they call them... the N20 can and will make those pistons shatter like glass.

100 shot will most likely pick your car up abut 1.00 second in the 1/4.. Read and follow there recemdendations, and retard timing when it is activated...
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2023 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by POS #1 POS #1 wrote:

my .02..
Sniper kit... those have 75/100/125 jets.....  I''d rather use cast pistons then hypertonic or what  ever they call them... the N20 can and will make those pistons shatter like glass.

100 shot will most likely pick your car up abut 1.00 second in the 1/4.. Read and follow there recemdendations, and retard timing when it is activated...
  x2.  
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2023 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by POS #1 POS #1 wrote:

my .02..

I agree with stock cast being better for Nitros compared to hypers,

but I've tucked away "good" low milage 360's 
only to find broken ring lands when torn down later.
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
Gremlin71 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gremlin71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2023 at 5:11pm
so your saying that if I just put a 100 shot in it it will be fine the way it is?
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2023 at 8:36pm
No one can say for sure, it just is t possible to know.  I have never used Nitrous, but from what I understand you should be pretty safe with a 100 or less.  Like with anything your taking a risk and you need to do some research.  Make sure your tune-up is good, trying to spray an engine that is running lean or with too much timing is a sure fire way to make sure your good running 360 is no longer.  Personally, I’d probably invest in a set of ported cylinder heads rather that a nitrous, but if your 360 is worn out it might not be a great idea.   
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic