TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Distributor tuning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billyfrank360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Distributor tuning
    Posted: Nov/28/2022 at 4:04pm
Hi there, 

I am setting up things on the engine, getting ready to drop it in, and I had a question regarding the newer electronic distributors.  I got one from the later market wagoner and was curious if there are advance springs in these to adjust to bring timing in earlier?  I couldn’t find a kit anywhere.  I have a MSD 6al box that I am using with it.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, 
Billy
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2022 at 2:50pm
If it is an HEI type, then usually the standard springs from a Points distributor re-curve kit will work.  I have used Ford type springs on Accel distributors.  MSD makes a kit for their distributors.  What kind of distributor do you have?

Billyfrank360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billyfrank360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2022 at 12:51pm
Thanks for the reply.  i am running the later model duraspark distributor with an MSD 6AL unit. I popped the cap looking for advance springs, but didn't see any.  I will have to delve a little deeper.  I know this is a common upgrade for many here, I am just unfamiliar with this unit.

Thanks,
Billy
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2022 at 2:19pm
Getting to the springs is easy. Pull the reluctor wheel off. You can pry it up with 2 screwdrivers. Don't lose the roll pin.
 There's a wire retaining ring beneath it that holds the "coil pickup" plate.
Remove the vacuum advance and lift off the plate

Edited by Heavy 488 - Nov/30/2022 at 2:24pm
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2022 at 5:49pm
This isn't an AMC specific video but it does show how to find the advance springs in a Ford specific distributor that's very similar to the AMC specific Motorcraft distributor...

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billyfrank360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2022 at 10:32am
Thanks guys.  I appreciate the help as always.

Cheers,
Billy
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2022 at 12:02pm
What that video does not tell you is information on determining total mechanical advance. The slot length determines the total advance:
And the vacuum advance also:

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billyfrank360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2022 at 1:15pm
Thanks Trader,

Good info there.  I will get a re-curve kit and work through it this weekend. 

What are you guys using for timing tape on stock balancers? It might be helpful having marks that are easier to readLOL

Thanks,
Billy
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2022 at 9:45pm
White nail polish in the balancer mark and my timing light tells me everything else.
A good timing light will provide mechanical and vacuum advance numbers, just simple math from "0".
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2022 at 8:05am
Originally posted by Billyfrank360 Billyfrank360 wrote:

Thanks Trader,

Good info there.  I will get a re-curve kit and work through it this weekend. 

What are you guys using for timing tape on stock balancers? It might be helpful having marks that are easier to readLOL

Thanks,
Billy

Just in case none of the men you hang with wear white or any other nail polish, msd and Mr gasket have timing tapes by balancer diameter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic