TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

M11 vs. T10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdonatelli42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M11 vs. T10
    Posted: Nov/21/2022 at 8:21pm
Hello,

I may be looking for a transmission in the near future for my 69' Rebel (automatic 343).  I am having trouble finding a rebuilt/replacement M11 in Florida, but I was also thinking of upgrading to a 4 speed transmission with overdrive.  Can anyone tell me if a T10 will fit in a 343 V8 1969 Rebel?  If not, are there any suggestions for a 4 speed (overdrive) replacement?  

I am very new to AMC modifications.

Thank you for any help/thoughts you can provide! 

I am also wondering if it would be better just to have my M11 rebuilt?

Edited by mdonatelli42 - Nov/21/2022 at 8:27pm
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2022 at 8:38pm
Find a shop with an old-timer in it and have your M11 rebuilt.
A T10 will fit, but not without major changes. And a T10 of course has no 'overdrive' top gear.

You can get adapters to install a modern 4-speed overdrive automatic, but again-you'd be doing quite a bit of modifying, starting with the crank flange, flex plate, transmission mount, driveshaft and yoke, speedometer drive, and you'd need to wire the converter lock-up as well.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2022 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by mdonatelli42 mdonatelli42 wrote:

Hello,

I may be looking for a transmission in the near future for my 69' Rebel (automatic 343).  I am having trouble finding a rebuilt/replacement M11 in Florida, but I was also thinking of upgrading to a 4 speed transmission with overdrive.  Can anyone tell me if a T10 will fit in a 343 V8 1969 Rebel?  If not, are there any suggestions for a 4 speed (overdrive) replacement?  

I am very new to AMC modifications.

Thank you for any help/thoughts you can provide! 

I am also wondering if it would be better just to have my M11 rebuilt?

T-10 should fit the '69 Rebel using the factory mounts. Trouble might be finding the clutch linkages and associated parts. I removed the M-12 in my Machine and installed the T-10. The '69 uses a different clutch linkage and bellcrank than the '70 but I think American Parts Depot has that stuff. The '70 stuff may fit in a '69 but I don't know that for sure.

-Steve-

sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2022 at 9:46pm
PM sent on a rebuilder in Florida 
mdonatelli42 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdonatelli42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2022 at 7:24am
Thank you all for your suggestions and GREAT feedback!  You are all AMC rockstars!  :)
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2022 at 11:25am
If you want an auto trans there are adapters for GM OD autos. Would work with a GM stick bell housing also. An original 343 flywheel should work with a stick trans. You can use a Jeep bell and a Mustang T-5 stick-shift trans with no adapter. Just look up "AMC V-8 T-5". Doesn't matter if it's the early or late V-8 (Gen2 or 3), you just need a Gen2 343 flywheel for balance (or have the rotating assembly balanced with a late mode six flywheel).
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic