TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Engine to 727trans maximum misalignment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Em390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine to 727trans maximum misalignment
    Posted: Jul/23/2022 at 1:20pm
How much can the engine and transmission be misaligned? 727 torqueflite to 401
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2022 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Em390 Em390 wrote:

How much can the engine and transmission be misaligned? 727 torqueflite to 401

I am not getting the question. If properly installed, there is no misalignment issues.

Are you talking about torque converter or trans mount height?
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2022 at 2:19pm
The engine to transmission centerline can only be off 0.003" or so -- hardly any at all! Much more and you'll have vibrations and other issues. That's why there are alignment dowels on the engine for the bell housing and the trans is a snug fit in the hole in the back of the bell (on older autos and manuals with separate trans/bell). I had an engine that had been in a wreck and the alignment dowels sheared off. Aligning the (manual) trans with just the bolts wasn't good enough, after about 300 miles the center of the clutch ripped out even though it only had some vibration and chattering the first 50-100 miles, then seemed to "wear in". I doubt a torque converter would last that long! replacing the dowels didn't help much, got about 700-800 miles out of it! When it started to make a little noise at about the 400-500 mark, I started looking for another block. Luckily this was a common 4.0L block. Hard to find a good used one in 98 when I started, but by 2000 they were more plentiful in salvage yards because the 4.0L powered Jeeps were so popular and by then 10 year old models were nearing their end of life -- not because the engines were bad!
Frank Swygert
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2022 at 7:28pm
You can dial in a TF case the same way you can dial in a bell housing using the pump bore.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2022 at 8:01am
Have seen them off by as much as 0.015" on Fords. They would not make these if it was not a common issue:
Never had an AMC off by more then 0.005".

Edited by Trader - Aug/01/2022 at 8:03am
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2022 at 9:29pm
I bought an aftermarket adapter for a powerglide to AMC years ago. The runout was something like .100" (which contributed to my hatred of adapters) which obviously would have destroyed the glide. I got it to about .008" (IIRC) which seemed to be mostly OK, but I didn't like it. I would break a TH400 style flexplate about every 100 passes, but I really think that was mostly the plate simply not strong enough. Then I got an Ultrabell which was just aligned by bolts when they came out and it was about .020". In a rush and thought it might be OK, took the pump out of the glide.

Figured out how to align it, it's .001" now. 

Also why I am a freak on proper alignment.

Edited by Ken_Parkman - Aug/01/2022 at 9:31pm
DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2022 at 2:07pm
I guess I have been lucky.....knock on wood.

I have never aligned an auto tranny in any of my cars.

That includes 400 turbo with ultrabell, powerglide with ultrabell, and stocker 400 and 727 transmissions.

Never had a problem. You would know it quick when the front pump bushing and seal are out.......transmission fluid would be gushing I would think ?
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2022 at 9:22pm
It took a while to damage the pump. I found the bushing and pump gears scored on winter maintenance, so it was not a total disaster. But it made me make it straight by slightly enlarging the ultrabell bolt holes, spending a huge amount of time getting a runout on the stator support, then tapping it around to get zero, tighten the bolts, then drill the properly aligned ultrabell and pump housing for dowel pins. Now it is repeatably straight on assembly.

I usually don't worry about proper factory assembly. The OEMs have proper engineering and quality control; they have to or they would be bankrupt. (oh yeah AMC is no longer around! But I don't think because of that) But I have a healthy distrust of aftermarket Engineering and quality control or lack thereof! In Engineering terms bolts don't line anything up.

Edited by Ken_Parkman - Aug/04/2022 at 9:24pm
DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2022 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Ken_Parkman Ken_Parkman wrote:

it made me make it straight by slightly enlarging the ultrabell bolt holes, spending a huge amount of time getting a runout on the stator support, then tapping it around to get zero, tighten the bolts, then drill the properly aligned ultrabell and pump housing for dowel pins. Now it is repeatably straight on assembly.

Great idea!
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2022 at 10:38pm
OE parts you install on the block's dowels and that's it IMO.  You can check it if you want to, but.... 

Anything aftermarket you need to check with a dial indicator.  The problem is that I don't think there are any offset dowels made for AMC.  Years ago I had some made for a Lakewood bellhousing that was ~.010 out of center....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic