TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Javelin brake booster boot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Javelin brake booster boot
    Posted: May/14/2022 at 6:08am
Guys,  my 70 Javelin brake booster needed a new rear rod boot.  Mark Shuford sells what he calls a replacement but it doesn't fit all the way up onto the booster.  I put a little tear in it trying to install it so I won't return it.  Does anyone sell an exact replacement for the boot?   Do Booster Steve or any of the booster refurbishers replace the boot when the repair a booster?   Thanks, Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2022 at 7:14am
I had my brake booster rebuilt here and it came back with a new rear boot.

Mike
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2022 at 7:58am
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2022 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

https://amarkamc.com/product.sc?productId=923&categoryId=47
  That is the one I bought and it does not exactly fit.   It is impossible to stretch forward over the tangs or protrusions where the brake rod exits the booster.  In Amark's defense I will say that obviously either reads the forum or has contacts who do and he refunded my money for the part I purchased without even being asked.  I have purchased several parts from Amark and have been completely satisfied up until now.  I think the correct part is out there somewhere.  I just need to find it.    Joe
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2022 at 6:07pm
  The boot that was on my booster (after being rebuilt) was a very tight fit.  I removed it to repaint the booster, and needed to use a pair of bent-nose picks to stretch the boot over the tangs.  I would be worried stretching a 50 year old part that much to fit properly, but since this was new material, it worked fine.  My original boot was split at the molding seam, likely due to stress from being stretched over so many years.
  Did you try stretching the boot to get it to fit over the tangs?

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2022 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by mbwicz mbwicz wrote:

The boot that was on my booster (after being rebuilt) was a very tight fit.  I removed it to repaint the booster, and needed to use a pair of bent-nose picks to stretch the boot over the tangs.  I would be worried stretching a 50 year old part that much to fit properly, but since this was new material, it worked fine.  My original boot was split at the molding seam, likely due to stress from being stretched over so many years.
  Did you try stretching the boot to get it to fit over the tangs?

Mike

Yes I tried stretching it (without heating) using a angled pick like you would used to remove an 0-ring.  The boot tore in one spot and I knew then that the integrity of the boot was ruined, making it impossible or at least very difficult to patch.  I did not ask for a refund, as stated in my first post, but Amark saw my post and issued any way.  I think there must be a better part out there somewhere.
Joe
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic