TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

401 belly pan modification.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firecopemt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 401 belly pan modification.
    Posted: Jan/25/2022 at 6:45pm
Apparently, there is a different way to put a belly pan under the intake manifold on a 401 with an aftermarket Intake. I am using an Offenhauser dual quad aluminum intake, with twin EFI. I'm told you have to "attach" the belly pan somehow, but there is a few different ways I'm being told. Does anyone know what is the best way, where do I get the right belly pan, and how do I "afix" it? Thank you for the help. 
Heywood Jablomi
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2022 at 11:58am
On my 390 with an edelbrock intake, I was able to use the valley pan with no special modifications.  The intake has a small baffle under the oil fill tube, I didn't try and install a factory type baffle.

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2022 at 12:15pm
Good reference:
And you will burn oil if you don't put a full/partial or some sort of deflector there if planning to use the PVC valve.
And yes, I have done this a couple of times myself using self tapping machine screws instead of drive pins.
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2022 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

And yes, I have done this a couple of times myself using self tapping machine screws instead of drive pins.

I did the same rather than trying to use the "rivnuts".  I think Fastenal does carry the originals:

Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

Here's a cut-sheet for Round Head Type U Metallic Drive Screws
like those used stock to attach the sheet metal PCV Baffle
to the bottom of an AMC V8 Intake Manifold.

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2022 at 5:09pm
Thanks for correcting me on the name of the fastener. Going off the top of my head vs getting the name correct, no excuse then other things going on in life. 
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2022 at 5:24pm
McMaster-Carr has the screws way cheaper than dealing with Fastenal. https://www.mcmaster.com/u-drive-screws/

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2022 at 5:31pm
In the link Trader posted, Phat69 posted pics of early vs late pans.  My dual quad intake didn't match the pan I had laying around, but looking at the early picture, pretty sure that is what lines up for your intake.  Maybe someone will chime in as to what year the change was, maybe when the intake was changed between 69 and 70 but I don't really know for sure.

1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2022 at 5:38pm
what i have found is a 3 slot pan is pre recurcilation valve and the 4 slot is for one with the valve. cannot spell it right. the pans are different shapes on the bottoms and will not interchange each other.
Firecopemt View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firecopemt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2022 at 5:45pm
The castings #s displayed show that my block was manurfactured in December of 1972.
Heywood Jablomi
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2022 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Firecopemt Firecopemt wrote:

The castings #s displayed show that my block was manurfactured in December of 1972.
That is irrelevant if your dealing with a intake baffle pan. Unless someone that reads this has already installed one on the aftermarket intake you're planning to use you'll have to figure out if you need an early or late pan based on what the aftermarket manufacturer did on the intake. Or it might not even be possible to use an OEM pan on the aftermarket intake you have all together or without modification.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic