TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Edelbrock R4B Intake

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davec1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edelbrock R4B Intake
    Posted: Jan/21/2022 at 2:49pm
I'm thinking of using an Edelbrock R4B intake on one of my '70 AMXs, but the car has a ram-air system and I'd like to maintain the factory look. Is there an AMC air cleaner housing that can be substituted for the factory one that will allow the R4B to fit with the factory ram-air system? 
1970 AMX Bayshore Blue 390 4-spd GoPac
1970 AMX Commodore Blue 390 4-spd GoPac
S Curry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote S Curry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2022 at 3:19pm
I would like to get one for my 70 also....I believe it is just cutting the round foam gasket down. Someone mentioned in a post to loosely wad up some tin foil lay it on the rim of the air cleaner and slowly lower the hood till it latches with the intake, carb and air cleaner installed. Measure the collapsed tin foil to know how thick it needs to be.....someone chime in if I'm all wet....
SC
bobsterfl View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote bobsterfl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2022 at 4:21pm
I have an R4B on my 70 Javelin with an Edelbrock carb and Ram Air hood.  I'm using the air cleaner base from a 78 Matador and the original 9 inch filter lid from the original 70 two barrel air filter assembly. So it's sort of an open element setup. It does clear the ram air duct but is close. I don't have a foam gasket for it, but I'm sure it would be too thick. I'll try to get a picture for you when I get home.
Bobsterfl
1970 BBO Javelin
390 - Torqueflight
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2022 at 12:06pm
I've seen people modify a stock aircleaner tub with the base from a drop filter aftermarket element. 

Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
jeremy0711 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2022 at 8:41am
You will have to offset the air cleaner base forward an inch. I think it is the same for all if not most aluminum intakes. I know the R4B and the proflow intakes are that way. I have a later style base that I am going to offset a one inch circle cut from the bottom, spin it 180*, and weld it back together.

I have my stock base on the car and it is very close to the bracket on the ram air that bolts at the back of the hood.

Edited by jeremy0711 - Jan/24/2022 at 8:43am
green70AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote green70AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2022 at 10:18am
I know it is not stock but i used a K&N base with a 4" drop and their lid on my AMX with an R4B intake and a 750 Brawler carb. If i'm going to a show i merely carry my original base filter and lid and install when i get there.
green70AMX
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2022 at 11:27am
Originally posted by green70AMX green70AMX wrote:

I know it is not stock but i used a K&N base with a 4" drop and their lid on my AMX with an R4B intake and a 750 Brawler carb. If i'm going to a show i merely carry my original base filter and lid and install when i get there.
I have the same air cleaner on my 70 AMX with an Edelbrock Air Gap, which is a bit taller than the R4B.  I still have the original air cleaner in case I go back to the stock intake.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2022 at 12:32pm
For every day use, K&N are not the best:
You can watch this persons testing and decide for yourselves.
Several years back a buddy with 360 rebuilt just 2 years in a Jeep, lives on a gravel road and did a bit of local dirt track. His engine was burning oil and on tear down, it looked like it had 100,000+ miles on it rather then the actual 25,000 actual.
All other routine maintenance was done on time.
Currently that same 360 has been in the Jeep now for 7 or 8 years, no issues, same driver, same use different air filter that has to get changed more often. 
RogerS. View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2022 at 3:59pm
 Thanks for sharing that video link Trader.  Well worth watching and surprising results.
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2022 at 11:10pm
I think that you are over thinking this. I have an R4B on a ram air equipped 70 Javelin and it actually fits pretty well. I had to remove the spacer underneath, which means the PCV goes to the side of the Holley carb now. Instead of the 3-4" thick factory foam seal I used a thinner piece of foam that was about 3/4" thick. It all fits fine. The carb is now centered a bit back of the old location, but it is nearly completely sealed around the edges and certainly does what it is supposed to. 

Chris 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic