TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Wiesco pistons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickyb546 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wiesco pistons
    Posted: Jan/17/2022 at 8:01pm
Hi guys I recently ordered a set of Wiesco pistons for a 390 rebuild it seems that the wrist pins are designed to be full floaters at a pin size of 1.000 I’m curious has anyone used these on a stock rod
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2022 at 9:39pm
You have no need for them unless you have the rods floated (reamed out) to allow the need for the spirolox to be used. The pistons are made so you can use them stock press or a floated rod.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2022 at 7:04am
Out of curiosity, are you using custom or off the shelf pistons?  Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
Nickyb546 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickyb546 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2022 at 3:27pm
Off shelf ones 
flejl View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flejl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2022 at 2:58pm
If you do not mind, I have a question...

I am not trying to hijack this thread and I am thinking the questions I have fit in here...

At some point I will be rebuilding a 360 to put in my Javelin in place of the existing 304 and have been thinking about Wiseco forged pistons and Molnar connecting rods instead of cast replacement pistons and stock rods.

My thinking is the factory cast rods seem to be a "weak link", prone to breaking, and I am guessing the cost of having them checked, new rod bolts installed, and balanced, the old rods will end up being close to the cost of the better rods, so why not just go with forged rods?

In regard to pistons, if going to forged rods makes sense, then for a couple hundred more why not go with forged pistons for the same reason?

Thoughts. opinions, experiences?

, and having the whole rotating assemble rebalanced

Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2022 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by flejl flejl wrote:

If you do not mind, I have a question...

I am not trying to hijack this thread and I am thinking the questions I have fit in here...

At some point I will be rebuilding a 360 to put in my Javelin in place of the existing 304 and have been thinking about Wiseco forged pistons and Molnar connecting rods instead of cast replacement pistons and stock rods.

My thinking is the factory cast rods seem to be a "weak link", prone to breaking, and I am guessing the cost of having them checked, new rod bolts installed, and balanced, the old rods will end up being close to the cost of the better rods, so why not just go with forged rods?

In regard to pistons, if going to forged rods makes sense, then for a couple hundred more why not go with forged pistons for the same reason?

Thoughts. opinions, experiences?

, and having the whole rotating assemble rebalanced

Depends upon your usage. I have an SC/360 Hornet that has stock rods and pistons, and I regularly run it up to 5,000 rpm, and have for years with no problems. I also have a 360 AMX with Wiseco forged pistons and forged Molnar rods that I feel can go another 1,000 rpm higher than that safely. I generally shift around 57-5800 though. And, they are both balanced.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2022 at 3:24pm
Unless you are prepping the cast rods yourself your logic is sound.
For a street engine, you can still buy new cast connecting rods and 9.5:1 cast pistons for 2/3 the cost. They show up on e-bay from time to time, actually cheaper if found in a complete engine kit.
Connecting rods have a life cycle limit and you can with some degree of certainly tell if an AMC connecting rod is close to it's limit by just measuring.
A typical street driven cast connecting rod will have the large bore stretched 0.001" to 0.0015" in 100,000 miles of normal driving. I'd prep and reuse these rods.
If the connecting rod has 0.002" or over stretch, throw them away, they have been abused.
So when you have the motor apart, have the large end of the rods measured and if under 0.0015" stretch, put them up for sale. A person was selling 3 sets of unknown condition for $80 each. Offset the cost of your new rods a little.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2022 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

Unless you are prepping the cast rods yourself your logic is sound.
For a street engine, you can still buy new cast connecting rods and 9.5:1 cast pistons for 2/3 the cost. They show up on e-bay from time to time, actually cheaper if found in a complete engine kit.
Connecting rods have a life cycle limit and you can with some degree of certainly tell if an AMC connecting rod is close to it's limit by just measuring.
A typical street driven cast connecting rod will have the large bore stretched 0.001" to 0.0015" in 100,000 miles of normal driving. I'd prep and reuse these rods.
If the connecting rod has 0.002" or over stretch, throw them away, they have been abused.
So when you have the motor apart, have the large end of the rods measured and if under 0.0015" stretch, put them up for sale. A person was selling 3 sets of unknown condition for $80 each. Offset the cost of your new rods a little.
I thought that all the 360 cast pistons were the later dish style that gave around 8.5 cr with 58 cc heads, and maybe 9.2 with the 51 cc heads. Can you buy some besides the .190 dish?
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2022 at 4:05pm
You can buy 343 pistons and there have been times that you see 9.5:1 AMC 360 pistons for sale. A quick search and all I see now is 343 pistons but no cc number to determine the SCR.
Most all will have 1.580 CH so you have to take that into account.
There were new cast AMC rods for sale last week, but don't see them now. I was thinking of buying a set.
RockAuto had cast rods last year but just checked and not listed any more.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2022 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

You can buy 343 pistons and there have been times that you see 9.5:1 AMC 360 pistons for sale. A quick search and all I see now is 343 pistons but no cc number to determine the SCR.
Most all will have 1.580 CH so you have to take that into account.
There were new cast AMC rods for sale last week, but don't see them now. I was thinking of buying a set.
RockAuto had cast rods last year but just checked and not listed any more.
Thanks. I remember reading about a build using 343 pistons.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic