TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Control Freaks, Wilwood Brakes and 17" Wheels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorCalAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Control Freaks, Wilwood Brakes and 17" Wheels
    Posted: Jan/14/2022 at 1:41pm
Just looking for a quick sanity check before I pull the trigger on some major suspension upgrades.
I am about to order:
Control Freaks complete front suspension
Wilwood 12.88" hub/rotors with 6 piston calipers for 17" wheels
17"x8" American Racing Wheels with 4.5" backspace.
245/45/17 tires

Control Freaks parallel 4 bar rear suspension with panhard bar
Wilwood 12.19" rotors with 4 piston calipers
17"x8" American Racing wheels with 4.5" backspace
245/45/17 tires

I'm looking for input from you guys out there with the Control Freak front clips who have upgraded your wheels/tires.
What is the widest wheel/tire combo you have used without rubbing?
What wheel offset did you go with?

These are the wheels that I am looking at:

These are the front brakes that I am looking at:
https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdFront?itemno=140-12276-DR&year=9999&make=Wilwood&model=ProSpindle&option=Wilwood+ProSpindle%2c+Std.+Height+and+2%22+Drop

Edited by NorCalAMX - Jan/14/2022 at 8:09pm
1968 AMX 390 4Speed
BBO UK View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBO UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2022 at 12:10pm
If it`s for an AMX have you checked out other less invasive front end options?
NorCalAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorCalAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2022 at 3:27pm
I have looked at the Dairyland components. They look well made, but don't address steering or bump steer.
An extraneous circumstance is causing me to have to complete this car much sooner than anticipated. 
1968 AMX 390 4Speed
Repsolroger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Repsolroger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2022 at 2:27pm
it took months and months to receive all my stuff.....i havent bought the willwood brakes yet...im just going to go the 4 piston our cars are pretty light...but i also bought their entire kit....havent put it on yet..cause i have ALOT to do before it goes on...even the subframe connectors....when i got them i thought they were going to be some wierd geometry and stuff....and alot ppl say theirs dont fit....could have made them myself for probably 40$ in metal 1x2.125 tubing .. i also got their 4 link rear suspension set up .. cause im mini tubbing my javelin so i can put 315x17s under the fenders with a ford 9inch.. i have so much to do .. ugh ........just make sure your K member is straight ....mine must have been built on a tuesday.. i racked it and it seems trueish.. thats just some of the parts i painted them with a coat or 2 of red so they wouldnt rust. were i have to weld it will be easy to wire wheel the paint off.. that stuff is $$$$ and im broke as F... and here are the rims i was looking at because they can put your backspacing custom just for the back fronts will be same style just different size.....and damn stuff is so expensive https://www.performanceplustire.com/buy-wheels-online/american-racing-wheels/vf535-polished/ws:17x11/ 

Edited by Repsolroger - Jan/21/2022 at 3:47pm
1969 sst javelin restomod
NorCalAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorCalAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2022 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Repsolroger Repsolroger wrote:

it took months and months to receive all my stuff.....i havent bought the willwood brakes yet...im just going to go the 4 piston our cars are pretty light...but i also bought their entire kit....havent put it on yet..cause i have ALOT to do before it goes on...even the subframe connectors....when i got them i thought they were going to be some wierd geometry and stuff....and alot ppl say theirs dont fit....could have made them myself for probably 40$ in metal 1x2.125 tubing .. i also got their 4 link rear suspension set up .. cause im mini tubbing my javelin so i can put 315x17s under the fenders with a ford 9inch.. i have so much to do .. ugh ........just make sure your K member is straight ....mine must have been built on a tuesday.. i racked it and it seems trueish.. thats just some of the parts i painted them with a coat or 2 of red so they wouldnt rust. were i have to weld it will be easy to wire wheel the paint off.. that stuff is $$$$ and im broke as F... and here are the rims i was looking at because they can put your backspacing custom just for the back fronts will be same style just different size.....and damn stuff is so expensive https://www.performanceplustire.com/buy-wheels-online/american-racing-wheels/vf535-polished/ws:17x11/ 

I'm assuming that you test fit the cross member to your car and discovered that it was not correct?

1968 AMX 390 4Speed
Repsolroger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Repsolroger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2022 at 7:07am
No...I just measured corner to corner like a X and measurements came out the same...but I'm no where close to putting this in..I'm working on the rump. Getting the mini tubbing done. so can figure out and get ordered shortened ford 9 inch and figure out rims backspacing. Since everything is taking 3 to 9 months to get.. But since I got layed off from my job 2 weeks ago. ( so depressing) can't really order anything till I got for sure income coming in. Were I worked at kinda reminded me of those movies Roadhouse,walking tall..but i have 4x6 shortened fir rear end right now...so Watch out... SPLINTERS OF FIRE..!!!!
Sleepy

Edited by Repsolroger - Feb/04/2022 at 10:21am
1969 sst javelin restomod
johnv View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2022 at 11:04pm
Kyle,
I'm presently installing CF front suspension and 14" rotors.  Front wheels are 18"x8" with 5" backspace,  tire is 235/40ZR18.

Rear wheels 18"x10" with 5 3/4" backspace, tire is 275/35ZR18.

Hope this helps
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic