TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Electric Wiper Switch Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Nardo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric Wiper Switch Replacement
    Posted: Feb/02/2022 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Originally posted by Nardo Nardo wrote:

Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

Have a look:
Believe AMC and Ford used the same sources for wiper and light switches - theory that cannot be proven!

Hmmm, that is pretty interesting. I have a rebuildable AMC wiper motor and plate but I also have a second AMX with vacuum wipers I'd like to convert. For this car I'm not stuck on originality and I would not mind experimenting with a conversion like this. Electric wipers have been one of the harder group of parts to put together. 

There was also a comment about 69 having a two speed switch. My switch is actually from a 70, as is the dash I'm using as a base for my custom dash install. Is that 2 speed or variable? If I have to, I think I can salvage the switch, I'll just have to figure out how to extend the broken shaft. 

AMC and Ford shared wiper switches and motors only 1973 and later. Prior to that, Prestolite supplied the entire wiper system including motor, mounting plate and wiring harness. 
The motor is a unique compound wound motor up through 1972. 
After that, Motorcraft supplied permanent magnet wiper motors (in the early 60s Ford used Prestolite wiper motors as well, single speed. I have one of those motors from a 62 I believe. Model number prefix is EPW)
The speed of the Prestolite motor is controlled by inserting resistance into the shunt field winding to reduce current through the shunt and increase speed. I know that sounds counter-intuitive but a series wound DC motor will run away. The shunt, or parallel field slows it down and controls speed. 
More power to the shunt field winding, less speed, less power to the shunt, more speed. 
So the switches up through 1972 have a resistor. For high speed the shunt is powered through the resistor. For low speed, they feed the shunt directly to slow it down. Some cars from AMC got 3 speed wipers - the motors are basically the same, the SWITCH is different. It will have two resistors hanging off the back. Low, medium, high speeds. Low goes through higher resistance (both resistors) medium goes through one resistor, high is direct, no resistor. 
You cannot use a Motorcraft switch or mist control on a Prestolite wiper motor.

Great explanation, thank you. I really couldn't figure out why a generic switch would not work but now I (mostly) understand it. 
Mike
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2022 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Nardo Nardo wrote:

Have a look:
Believe AMC and Ford used the same sources for wiper and light switches - theory that cannot be proven!

Hmmm, that is pretty interesting. I have a rebuildable AMC wiper motor and plate but I also have a second AMX with vacuum wipers I'd like to convert. For this car I'm not stuck on originality and I would not mind experimenting with a conversion like this. Electric wipers have been one of the harder group of parts to put together. 

There was also a comment about 69 having a two speed switch. My switch is actually from a 70, as is the dash I'm using as a base for my custom dash install. Is that 2 speed or variable? If I have to, I think I can salvage the switch, I'll just have to figure out how to extend the broken shaft. 

AMC and Ford shared wiper switches and motors only 1973 and later. Prior to that, Prestolite supplied the entire wiper system including motor, mounting plate and wiring harness. 
The motor is a unique compound wound motor up through 1972. 
After that, Motorcraft supplied permanent magnet wiper motors (in the early 60s Ford used Prestolite wiper motors as well, single speed. I have one of those motors from a 62 I believe. Model number prefix is EPW)
The speed of the Prestolite motor is controlled by inserting resistance into the shunt field winding to reduce current through the shunt and increase speed. I know that sounds counter-intuitive but a series wound DC motor will run away. The shunt, or parallel field slows it down and controls speed. 
More power to the shunt field winding, less speed, less power to the shunt, more speed. 
So the switches up through 1972 have a resistor. For high speed the shunt is powered through the resistor. For low speed, they feed the shunt directly to slow it down. Some cars from AMC got 3 speed wipers - the motors are basically the same, the SWITCH is different. It will have two resistors hanging off the back. Low, medium, high speeds. Low goes through higher resistance (both resistors) medium goes through one resistor, high is direct, no resistor. 
You cannot use a Motorcraft switch or mist control on a Prestolite wiper motor.
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2022 at 4:02pm
If you go for the '73-74 Motorcraft motor, switch, mounting plate, you may need the wiper transmission too.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Nardo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2022 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Have you seen this? 1970 Prestolite Wipers: Switch Wiring? - The AMC Forum

I have not see it, or if I have a forgot about it. Thanks for the link!
Mike
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2022 at 10:46am

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Nardo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2022 at 10:01am
What is it that is so unique about AMC wipers? Other than the specific components, it seems like a pretty normal system, not unlike a vintage Mustang, Camaro, Nova, etc. ? Wipers go back and forth and park when they are off. Doesn't seem like its that complicated. 

Has anyone on the forum experimented with a full swap/transplant? I realize its not appropriate for a restoration, but there are lots of frankinrambers out there. I'd like to save my OEM parts for my running near-original AMX and go a different direction on the project car. 
Mike
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2022 at 6:52pm
To do that, you need to use a Motorcraft wiper motor which is 73 up - not a Prestolite that a 69 would have. The switches are not interchangeable. There's some threads on that on here about that. I don't see why why you couldn't use a Motorcraft motor from a 73 or 74 Javelin and swap the mounting plate. I'm using a intermittent module from a Jeep Cherokee on my 73 Javelin with the original motor. I have a Jeep steering column so I'm using that switch as well.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Nardo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2022 at 6:15pm

Have a look:

Mike
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2022 at 4:53pm
Have a look:
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2022 at 4:46pm
The light switch is almost universal , as it was used on Fords and Chrysler (and Jeep) also extensively The wiper switch is much more an AMC only part and much harder to find a good one. Good luck. LRDaum
LRDaum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic