TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Gauges

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1964Classic770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gauges
    Posted: Jan/07/2022 at 12:04pm
Good afternoon everyone,

Once again looking for help. I have purchased Autometer gauges for my Classic.

Oil, Volt & Temp.

I'm OK with hooking all up but thought I would maybe save myself some possible issues by asking for advice. I have been very fortunate to get some good advice on this site, so here goes.

The Oil gauge should be OK - I have the braided connection and know where it goes in the block - not located to make it easy but it is doable.
The Volt gauge will also be OK - matter of finding the correct wires.
The temp gauge also will OK - I do need confirmation on the location of the sender. I think it is on the drivers side beneath the Alternator.

Any advice anyone can offer on the above will be greatfully accepted.

Thanks.

Noel

troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2022 at 7:42pm
Few questions come to mind.
Sounds like you're installing one of those under dash triple gauge pods, correct?
Are you eliminating the stock gauges/senders or just customizing the interior?
Do the original gauges work?  (I have no idea what gauges a 64 Classic has.)

Bill O.
70 AMX
1964Classic770 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1964Classic770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2022 at 8:10pm
Thanks for getting back troutwilly,

Yes - under dash gauges..
Probably close off the originals
full temp gauge (working)
Original oil light & after market electric oil pressure gauge - proved to be bad
 alternator light only.

Noel
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2022 at 9:37pm
Voltmeter, no problemo.

Oil pressure, it will have no relation to the oil light, which you can make work by replacing the bulb or switch. (Take the wire of the sensor and ground it; light should go on. If not, bad bulb or wiring.)

Coolant temperature -- you cannot use your aftermarket gauge with the factory sensor. It's busy working with the factory gauge. You'll have to find another place to install the probably-General-Motors-sized temperature sensor (3/8" NPT). If you're lucky the sensor is 1/8" NPT with a 3/8" NPT adapter. (Doesn't everyone drive a Chebby? Sheesh.)

I can't tell you where to stick the sensor (lol, joke, I couldn't pass it by, no offense meant : - ) Lol sorry.

64 Classic? 232 or 195.6? I don't think there's a ready-made place to insert that sensor. YOu can buy thermostat housing replacements with temp sensor holes (CHEVY). 

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic