TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Loose Radio Part?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loose Radio Part?
    Posted: Jan/04/2022 at 8:29pm
 I was gently cleaning a 68 AMX/Javelin AM/FM factory radio with the top sheet metal cover off I turned the radio upside down to mask sure there wasn't any debris in the bottom and this copper strip fell out, anyone know what this might be or where it goes?

J

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2022 at 10:34pm
I think it's a grounding strap/shaft pressure on the end of the tuning knob's shaft. There may have been a bit of felt under it. 
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2022 at 7:45am
 Without any info of exactly where it goes all I can do is hope the radio works without it? I am glad it wasn't floating around where it could cause a short.

Thanks

J
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2022 at 10:51am
You got me curious, so I opened up a spare radio (69 Javelin), but could find nothing that looks like the part you pictured. How it got there is anyone's guess, but the radio would have to have been opened up to get it int there.

The closest I could find was a copper pad used as a junction point for the back light power. (red arrow). There are a couple more of these, but the pads are much bigger than the one shown.

69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2022 at 1:14pm
I only removed the top sheet metal cover while cleaning, it might be the part is visible only from the bottom?

Thanks

J
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2022 at 3:53pm
The bottom is more of a base than a cover and has a lot of the components attached. I was able to separate it enough to see into the assembly. Did not see that clip.

Since yours is an earlier model, it's possible they discontinued using it in later models like mine (because it tended to work loose???) Pure speculation on my part.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2022 at 6:30pm
 I just tested the radio it's working good.

Thanks

J
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2022 at 10:20pm
What does the other side of the copper strip look like?
Is it possible its the center contact for the antenna?  I know you said it works, but stranger things happen.
I was also thinking, is there a way it could have gotten into the radio through a slit/opening in the cover?  If yes, maybe it fell from something above the radio.
Bill O.
70 AMX
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2022 at 11:37pm
I think it should be located at the end of the tuning knob shaft. I drew very thin lines ending where approximately I think the spring clip should live.

That looks like a phosphor-bronze spring clip to me, not plain copper.

Just an educated guess, from taking apart too many radios... I could easily be wrong of course.

Edited by tomj - Jan/05/2022 at 11:40pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2022 at 4:32am
 The radio pictured is a little different than my radio there are two of the parts circled in green on the front of my radio, the loose part is more of a copper color also it doesn't look to have been soldered in.

J

Edited by JGRANTAMX - Jan/06/2022 at 6:38am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic