TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Struts instead of trunnions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayne_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Struts instead of trunnions
    Posted: Nov/24/2021 at 8:25pm
A trunnion setup is similar to a Macpherson strut. Is there a strut assembly with the right geometry that can adapt to a trunnion? 
1969 AMX 390
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 6:16am
dairy land makes a nice set up he has a write up some were on the site and sells his set up or control freak 
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 6:44am
I think he really wants to use struts not a custom kit. IMO if anyone really knew what would bolt in with minor mods, they would have done it in their drag setups, by now.

UnclJohn posted pictures of his AMC 70s suspension hump swap on a pre 70s big body, in my thread, which upgraded away from trunion. But tyat requires cutting and welding.

The only reason to use struts is to allow header clearance. No mechanical gains for street driving are worth the trouble of conversion. It would be the option for non amc big engine swaps with headers in a small body racer.

ProStreetTom was looking into grafting late model frames to use double wishbone in a small body drag car. Maybe he has found something and may give some insight.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 7:34am
There are a couple of companies that make them for Mustangs and Torino's. When I was talking to Fatman Fabrications for a front end for my car, we talked about possibly doing a strut style but I didn't have the lead time for him to design it. Since both Fords and AMC's have a similar architecture he said it looked feasible and he offers one for Fords. You might look into those and see what you can make work.
Unfortunately, Brent sold the company to retire so I don't know if they would be interested in designing one for an AMC. He was really good about supporting less popular cars but so many companies now only care about volume.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 8:32am
I modified the trunnion with a greaseable bronze bushing and better thrust bearing. Basically moving the "strut" bearing from the top to the bottom. The rubber bushings in the control arms take the shock loads so the bearings in the trunnion have not shown any signs of wear in 12+ years.
Original trunnion bushings and even the urethane have too much friction, twisting the front suspension, and not enough road feel feedback in my opinion.
On comparison to my modern vehicles with struts, the modified trunnions are very similar.
After truing and polishing the steering knuckle pin, made my own bushings.
This was not a lot of work, but a major improvement over the factory design. Again, my opinion.

sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

I modified the trunnion with a greaseable bronze bushing and better thrust bearing. Basically moving the "strut" bearing from the top to the bottom. The rubber bushings in the control arms take the shock loads so the bearings in the trunnion have not shown any signs of wear in 12+ years.
Original trunnion bushings and even the urethane have too much friction, twisting the front suspension, and not enough road feel feedback in my opinion.
On comparison to my modern vehicles with struts, the modified trunnions are very similar.
After truing and polishing the steering knuckle pin, made my own bushings.
This was not a lot of work, but a major improvement over the factory design. Again, my opinion.

Can you please provide some details, photos, part numbers/mfr.’s, etc.? Thanks 
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 9:55am
Details:
Turned the slightly worn steering knuckle pins true and polished with 400/800 grit paper. Ensure you leave a good fillet at the bottom of the pin.
Bored the trunnions true and the same.
Turned hard bronze bushings for a 0.003" press fit into the trunnion.
Drilled and tapped a hole in the trunnion for a 45 degree grease zerk.
Reamed the bushing for 0.0015" clearance.
Bought SKF thrust bearings from there catalogue.
Milled a shallow channel in the bushing from the grease zerk hole to supply grease to the thrust bearing.
Assembled with a fiber washer as a bearing on top of the bushing, with a ground washer and double nut to lock in place with a very slight preload.
Didn't take pictures and all that you see different is a grease zerk on the inside of the lower trunnion on the car.

sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 10:17am
Okay, great thank you. So you left the trunnion’s horizontal rubber bushings alone for the control arms, you just modified the trunnions for the vertical bushing for the steering knuckle pins, correct? 
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 10:33am
Correct!
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 2:43pm
Wayn_m, what problem are you trying to solve? Or improvement you hope to gain?

There's nothing wrong inherently with the trunnion setup, otherw than often worn out. Unless you plan to strip it out for some reason standard advice of make it all like-new before modifying is good advise. 

Stock will cost less, no matter what.  
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic